This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Desktop

As some of you may know my desktop computer finally died. And yes TA Mom saved most of her programs that stopped me from doing a full wipe of the system.

It started with the modem, no problem I can hook it to the wireless. And then a few of the USB connections started to go. Finally it began to shut down AND start up randomly, with me coming home and finding the computer on when it had been completely shut down when I left for work. Honestly the computer was starting to freak me out and I made sure to have the wireless unplugged just in case it decided to start offering personal information out.

So while I'm home sick I have been looking at various computer sites and realized my computer knowledge kinda stops back in 99...just a little behind.

I'm looking for something to play WoW on mostly. I also wouldn't mind hooking the computer up to my lovely new tv and playing WoW on such a big screen. Since I love wireless keyboards and mice it wouldn't be hard to have a table up to the couch and play like that. It makes Mom roll her eyes but then she doesn't like the bouncing I do when I jump.

So if I could have a few suggestions and be able to go to my local digilink store with some idea on what I want to get a price quote...I would be appreciative.

Well, WoW (thankfully) is still pretty low spec, though the new water effects can really bog down the rig. Essentially anything that is being sold now can run it with at least decent settings smoothly (my rig is roughly 3 years out of date and handles it fine.) The only caveat is the video card which I will recommend at least an Nvidia GTS250 or ATi equivalent just so you can take advantage of the new water effects. Priced right, you can get that for just over $100. (the one I have even has a HDMi port which makes for really easy digital connections to a TV)

Other than that, the basics:

Dual core near 3Ghz each speed minimum.
    2GB of ram minimum, 3 recommended for 32 bit, as much as you can cram in for 64 bit OS.
    Decent sound card (I'll never figure out why people turn the in game music off)
    Network card appropiate to what you need. (ie if needing wireless networking, a wireless card, otherwise the NIC built into the motherboard will work fine)
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Well Bunny, most important question always is what price range you're looking at.

Next question becomes what parts do you need. Do you need the whole shebang, or just the tower?

Would you be comfortable installing a new video card? Or, can you afford to fly me over?

Let me know those, and I can start shopping for you...... again. :P
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

As stated, question #1 is: What's your price limit?

The biggest expense at this point is going to be the video card, and most of what you can get now include video out.

Be aware that while wireless is almost as good as wired, there will be an almost imperceptible delay on any input you give. For the most part, this won't matter, though it irritated the hell out of the boyfriend when he was playing some fighting game and a combo move was literally impossible to complete without a wired controller.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
        X