This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell your mother she spelled your name wrong" 2: Electric Boogaloo

Christ on a cracker, my irl name isn't terribly unusual. (Let's pretend it's Suzanne-French spelling of a semi uncommon name). A week or so ago, another guy commented on my name, just like a couple weeks ago. The only difference is that this guy wasn't an old man. This new guy insisted my name was misspelled and kept pronouncing it weirdly. "Suzzin".

I got a similar reaction from a place I called back for a job interview, where she talking about a woman with the name "Sussin", the German/Dutch spelling of it. I said, "You mean Suzanne? They are both the same name, just spelled differently!" She ignored me and kept on talking about "Sussin" and how unusual it was, til I gave up.

Bonus: "Your customer service sucks"

I've gone ~30 years of my life without a broken bone. Til yesterday. Whacked my smallest toe on my right foot against the newspaper cabinet stand thingy we have in the kitchen, where we keep the newspapers and magazines before we recycle them. Dad didn't believe me and kept insisting I had stubbed my toe. I went to work anyway and stood for 4.5 hours on my feet. Could barely walk. Face scrunched up in pain, and I imagine I looked on the verge on tears.

Dude grumbled at me that I shouldn't be there, my customer service sucked and why did I look so unhappy? I told him, with my best smile, "Oh you know, broken toes hurt. I think I have the right to be a little unhappy. !" He grabbed his stuff and flounced away.

Happily, I am much better today, even if my foot is bruised to hell. Got my foot xrayed and now have one of those fancy padded boot thingys. Not quite happy I broke my record of not having broken bones, but eh .
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Quoth ralerin View Post
    Bonus: "Your customer service sucks"
    This is a weird coincidence. Just yesterday my friend posted a picture of her foot where she broke her toe by bumping it on some furniture. And she still managed to do some hiking. Impressive.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Yeah, broken pinky toes suck. When I broke mine, I didn't even all Mom for advice, much less a doc... Elevation , my Kindle, and some spare opiates and all was well.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
        Yeah, broken pinky toes suck. When I broke mine, I didn't even all Mom for advice, much less a doc... Elevation , my Kindle, and some spare opiates and all was well.
        I hope those were leftovers from a previous condition YOU had, rather than a friend or relative. Don't know about other jurisdictions, but in the U.S. you can get in SERIOUS trouble for possessing a C2 that wasn't prescribed to YOU.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Dang about the broken toe. I've also had broken bones in my foot and it just sucks.

My RL name is Mary. How hard is that? Its not Maria, its not Mara, its not Murry. For some reason, people can't seem to get my very simple and very common name right.

As to the left over drugs, that's a kinda strange issue. I've got left over oxy from the above mentioned broken bones and surgery. I didn't ask for them, but filled the script along with the other scripts before the surgery.

I have a friend who can barely stand up due to back pain. He has to fight on a monthly basis to get pain meds for a physical condition that is very well documented. His doctor wants him to have the pain meds, its the pharmacy that gives him the problems.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
            The first time I broke one of my smaller toes I did go to the Dr. I was told I had a slight spiral fracture. All they did was wrap that toe and the one next to it together and told me to do the same for a couple of weeks. They gave me some lower end pain meds and sent me home.

Yeah it hurt like hell but that was the best they could do. I have done the same thing twice since and all I do is wrap the 2 toes together, take some over the counter pain meds and hope for the best.

Now I did tweek my ankle back in Jan (not sure how I did it) but it hurt enough (read A LOT) that I though I cracked a bone or something. After 3 or 4 days I went to the mini-ER, got it X-Ray'ed, no breaks or anything. They told me to wrap up my ankle and not to go too hard on it. Got some prescription pain (which I only took outside of work as I drive for a living) and muscle relaxer meds. Took about 3 weeks to completely "heal". Not real fun trying to work in the winter (read SNOW AND ICE outside) with a tweeked ankle.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Dang about the broken toe. I've also had broken bones in my foot and it just sucks.

My RL name is Mary. How hard is that? Its not Maria, its not Mara, its not Murry. For some reason, people can't seem to get my very simple and very common name right.
              The name I have that I am not fond of and rarely use ...
              Marilyn
              MaryLynn and Mary Lynn
              MaryLyn and Mary Lyn
              MarieLynn and Marie Lynn
              MarieLyn and Marie Lyn
              MariaLynn and Maria Lynn

All found on 'official' paperwork I have had from assorted offices ... *sigh*

At least I have only found 2 ways of spelling my middle name ...
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                Same thing happens to me with my last name......wish I had a dollar for every time someone couldn't pronounce it correctly.

Comment

So what does my happy ass do today after reading this thread this morning?

Bash its pinky toe into a pallet.

Didn't break it though. It doesn't even hurt anymore. I guess I was just luckier than you were.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My mother broke her toe once...

Trying to punt into the middle of next week...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      So what does my happy ass do today after reading this thread this morning?

Bash its pinky toe into a pallet.

Didn't break it though. It doesn't even hurt anymore. I guess I was just luckier than you were.
                      I'm sorry Irv, but AHAHAHAHA goooooooood god. Glad to know I've spread my bad luck elsewhere
                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

The first few teachers I had when I started school insisted on calling everyone by their proper name, so I was "Michael" up through second grade. My third grade teacher kept spelling it "Micheal", and after getting it wrong one to many times, he started calling me "Mike." I've gone by that ever since then.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

OWIE! I've broken both of mine umpteen times. It hurts like a beyotch, and there's nothing that can be done. My feet have turned lovely shades of purple and green too, from the bruising. and both of said toes are now quite misshapen due to be being a total klutz

Comment

I'm one of those lucky souls who has never broken a bone, despite taking my share of bumps and bruises over the years...hell, I had an air conditioner fall on my head as a kid, and somehow survived. I remember tons of blood, but oddly no pain.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                              I'm one of those lucky souls who has never broken a bone, despite taking my share of bumps and bruises over the years...hell, I had an air conditioner fall on my head as a kid, and somehow survived. I remember tons of blood, but oddly no pain.
                              When I was about 3 or 4ish I fell through a basement plate-glass greenhouse window. The greenhouse was in the basement and they had window sized glass just above ground level. Apparently I tried to climb on the glass and yes it broke and, from what I am told, I fell maybe 8 feet to the floor and landed on my back. Do not really remember much about that incident. No cuts or much bleeding.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X