Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When/why did people start using "adult" as a verb?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When/why did people start using "adult" as a verb?

This is here because there's a link at the bottom.

I don't want to sound like "get off my lawn!", but seriously... "adult" is a noun.

When did people start deciding to use it as a verb?

As in "to adult", or "adulting, adulted", etc.?

It's not like f**k, which can be used as multiple parts of speech, as illustrated here:

(WARNING: NSFW!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZS...ature=youtu.be
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

"Verbing" is trendy now. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/the-b...verbing-nouns/

Comment

Probably about the same time that some idiot decided that "literally" means "figuratively" ...x.x
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Probably about the same time that some idiot decided that "literally" means "figuratively" ...x.x
        IT DOESN'T. NO, IT DOES NOT.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"These papers need filed."

Please, no. I've been hearing this a little, mostly from one person. I mean, my grammar isn't perfect, but this just makes me sad. Like reading text messages from my 19 year old niece who can't tell time from a clock with hands.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

That person is probably from the north east. We leave out helping verbs a fair amount in PA.
            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
            And it's not what I wanted to be
            The weight on me
            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I'm pretty sure that counts as a Word Crime
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Language drift mother rumba!

Language is fluid, it changes over time. What's the difference between a norange and an orange? Migrating n.
                ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                  ... difference between a norange and an orange? Migrating n.
                  And then the 'NG ' thing slipped to an 'o': migration!
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Jay - Thank you. Er, I mean, THANK YOU!

Hero - That's pretty much my theme song. I have an English degree; as such, I have to fight my instinct to go "Grammar Nazi" online quite frequently.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I say "I don't want to adult today" because it's funny to me and perfectly describes how I feel. I know it's not correct and my hearers also know that, so it's fine. Of course, some of you may disagree. I also do things like substitute "eyeball" where "eye" is more appropriate and I like to use "deers" as a plural for deer. It's all in fun. (And I just really like saying "eyeball".)
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        This is here because there's a link at the bottom.

I don't want to sound like "get off my lawn!", but seriously... "adult" is a noun.

When did people start deciding to use it as a verb?

As in "to adult", or "adulting, adulted", etc.?
                        I don't remember when it started, but I have to admit its a great use of it. I suspect it started in a cartoon or was inspired by one such as Calvin and Hobbes. It actually works well, since we associate certain responsibilities with being an adult, so wanting to shirk those responsibilities means you don't want to be an adult, which can be shortened to I don't want to adult. I actually like this one."

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        I say "I don't want to adult today" because it's funny to me and perfectly describes how I feel. I know it's not correct and my hearers also know that, so it's fine. Of course, some of you may disagree. I also do things like substitute "eyeball" where "eye" is more appropriate and I like to use "deers" as a plural for deer. It's all in fun. (And I just really like saying "eyeball".)
                        We doing made up words? The big one in my house is that we don't use moving boxes when we move, we using moving boxen (one ox, many oxen, one box, many boxen?).
                        Last edited by EricKei; 08-08-2016, 06:49 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                        Seph
                        Taur10
                        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I'll allow "boxen." It's been in use for years as a term used to describe multiple computers, especially if Linux is installed on them.

One seemingly non-standard word which is completely legit is "fishes." Fish is simply the plural of, well, fish: "One fish, two fish, ten thousand fish." Fishes is the plural term used to describe multiple species of fish, and could technically be considered scientific jargon: "Mackerel, salmon, and clownfish are all different fishes" or "...different species of fish."

Language does change over time -- though I will fight the 'literally' thing until my dying breath. A perfect example is in those special two words brought to us by the Simpsons; you all know what they are. They are, as of last count, in the OED. That's about as official as you get.

Comment

What are the 2 words from the Simpsons?

Also, would "fece" be a SC brain cell? After all, "feces" is structured like a plural, so "fece" would be the nominal singular, and we know what SCs have for brains.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I only know one of the Simpsons words, but I'm sure the other one is perfectly cromulent.

Comment

Working...
                              X