This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owwwwieeee! Also, I am a dumbass.

So yesterday I'm crossing the parking lot at the complex after coming home from work. We'd gotten a lot of snow, followed by a thaw, followed by a freeze, which has pretty much turned roads into a ice rink. I was being careful, but not careful enough.

A parking spot that looked like nice, friendly pavement where the snow had melted off, and where I decided was a good spot for a shortcut, was actually coated in crystal-clear ice (for those from warmer climates --looking at you Jester-- that's what we call black ice...it isn't really black, it's clear but on black pavement so you can't see it). One step and I went down hard. Managed to partially break my fall with my (gloved) hands, but some force was still applied to my left knee and hip, both of which are now swollen and bruised. Nothing serious, and had I fallen another way it could have been a head injury or something equally icky.

So be careful out there folks! Slide those feet if you have to cross a slick area, don't try to walk across ice like a dumbass (like I did). I'm a native of Colorado, it isn't like I didn't know better.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 02-06-2016, 02:06 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

This is my biggest fear because I *will* end up with a concussion from the impact. I need to move back to CA. But then I'd get hit in the head by projectiles in an earthquake.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

there's quite a few youtube videos on how to correctly fall to minimize injury, including head injury. The main thing is to "tuck and roll" rather than try to "brace" or "catch" yourself, as that is the most common cause of wrist, elbow, arm, and shoulder injuries.

And you do have to practice a bit to override the instinct and replace it with muscle memory.

most of these share the same "techniques", just different styles of practicing them.

vid 1(basic practicing)

vid 2(running type falls)

vid 3(skateboarding falls, most similar to ice falls)

vid 4(parkour falls)
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Not this snowstorm but the major one before I was crossing the street from the bus stop to my work. The northbound lane was just fine, but the southbound lane was terrible! I took a nice spell. I was uninjured, but I couldn't get back up it was so slick. I crawled to the sidewalk where there was better traction, but still no snow removal. My hands got real cold from the ordeal.

And that sidewalk is in front of Orangewap's and I swear I have to remind them on their website every fricking time to clear the sidewalks next to the street!
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          And that sidewalk is in front of Orangewap's and I swear I have to remind them on their website every fricking time to clear the sidewalks next to the street!
          Would it be SC behaviour to give them a 1-star Yelp review, with the non-cleared sidewalks being the stated reason?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

One of my employees fell and hit his head on the temple yesterday right before work.
            He came to work anyway and I promptly called his folks to come pick him up and take him to emergicare.
            He's ok, but I was worried about concussion.
            What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

Our complex is actually pretty good about clearing sidewalks, as is work. I should have just stuck to the cleared areas but I was cold and wanted to get inside.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Would it be SC behaviour to give them a 1-star Yelp review, with the non-cleared sidewalks being the stated reason?
                I'd say report it to the city. Yelp can't fine them. Local government can. Most places have laws requiring proper snow removal within a certain time frame after snow stops falling.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                  I'd say report it to the city. Yelp can't fine them. Local government can. Most places have laws requiring proper snow removal within a certain time frame after snow stops falling.
                  Yes, this. Someone like me would get a concussion and possibly sue them
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                  X