This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this seem cruel to anyone else

I work at a Petstore and I get paged to help a customer. He wants to buy a kennel and a cheap one. So thinking fine, happens all the time, then I find out he wants one for his two cats that not his, I am thinking his girlfriends, but apparently are trying to get out of the bathroom he has locked them in and has tore up some of the carpet in doing so. Okay fine, he wants to keep his cats in cage for 9 hours who I am to say differently. The only problem is he doesnot want to spend any money on it and wants to buy a
    30" cage, basically the size for a beagle, for 2 full sized cats, and a litter box and he wants to keep them in there for about 9 hours a day for pretty much the rest of thier lives.

He told me that and I am like, WTF, are you serious.

Me: Sir, 2 cats and a litter box are not going to fit comfortably in the cage that size

SC: Sure they will, I put them in a small carring case today

Me: For how long

SC: about 2 hours, they are best friends

Me: They are not going to tolerate being stuck in a cage together that size for a long period of time.

SC: Well the cats in there (We have an adoption center that holds cats) are in cages.

Me: Yes, and if you were going to put one cat in there then yes it would be big enough, but 2 full size cats in cruel

SC: Well I disagree, What do you recommend for me

Me: Getting a really big cage that has a divider in it, so each cat can have thier own space, or two separate cages

SC: I am not a rich man I can not afford to do that

ME: (I so badly want to say find the cats a new home) Well then I don't know what to tell you

SC: You have been such a big help! (Sacrastically)

MeLets put you in a cage that size with one other person for 9 hours and see how you like it.)

I think its kinda of cruel to put a cat in a cage for 9 hours anyway but to put 2 adult cats and a litter box in a cage barely big enough for one is, in my opinion, cruel. Any thoughts.

That does seem cruel. If he can't take care of his cats properly he shouldn't have them.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

WTH!?!?

Did a manager talk to this asshat by any chance? Seriously, I think I would have reported this guy for animal cruelty from the sounds of things. Transporting rescue cats in cages for short periods of time, ok. Having to board them temporarily in cages for vet visits, or having sensitive company over at one's house, ok.

Keeping them *for extended periods of time* in such a cage, with minimal room to move around in (including the fact that they would NEED litter pans and food/water dishes) - NO. No no no no no. That's at the very least questionable and I seriously wonder about that guy's common sense (or lack thereof).

Yes, animal shelters do keep their cats in cages for a long time - however, they're the exceptions to this rule, I think, because even shelter staff/volunteers make an effort to let the animals out of those cages for short periods to play and get some general exercise/socialization with humans. Unless an animal specifically needs a cage as its 24/7 permanent dwelling (ex. types of insects and arachnids, birds), there's no good reason to keep an animal locked up like that - especially in such small quarters.

I hope those poor cats find a better home - and fast.
      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

One cat, for a little while ( Vet visits, transportation, etc ) sure.

2 cats? No way.

2 cats for 9 hours a day for god knows how long? )*@$ no, asshat.

If they're already tearing up carpet to get out of the bathroom then they are *not* going to tolerate you cramming them into a small cage for 9 hours a day. They're not gerbils.

If you can't take care of then, give them to someone who can.

Comment

Yes that is cruel. And I am with everyone else on that he should give them up
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I'll take them.
            You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Quoth i4wolves View Post
              trying to get out of the bathroom he has locked them in and has tore up some of the carpet in doing so.
              I think we've established that this guy is a classic example of an asshole.

Doing that to cats is going to end up with one of them dead, in all likely hood. Cats really fighting are a huge risk to one another. So yeah, those cats need a better home. However, no one has mentioned one peculiar thing:

Why does he have carpet in his bathroom?!

I mean, hell. Maybe that's normal somewhere, but here tile and other things that don't absorb water are usually the flooring in bathrooms.

But yes, he is Reigning King of Dickwads.
              Last edited by Ree; 09-29-2007, 12:07 PM. Reason: Fixing quote tags
              I'm busy, you're an idiot, have a nice day

At least I shall die as I have lived; completely surrounded by morons.

Comment

I'm not an animal person, the vast majority of animals i bring into my house are mice for my Ball Python to eat, but damn, dude, get rid of the cats, if you can't go to wal mart and get 2 cages for $40 each(they actually have some decent ones, we had one for my dog before we got rid of him) you don't have enough money for a cat anyway. but the even bigger item of stupidity than carpet in the bathroom is why would he ask a pet store employee to help him pick out a cage that is way too small for his needs? these are the last people to ask for assistance in abusing an animal. anybody got Michael Vick's number? he's got alot of free time now that he's unemployed

Comment

I am aware there is legislation in the UK with regards to living space for certain animals, is that so in the USA? Do you have an equivilent of the RSPCA that you can report this to as this is simply horrific, no wondoer those cats tore up his carpet, THEY WERE BORED lets lock him in a small room for a few hours and see what he ends up doing.

Stay Safe
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

This is cruel. Thinking that I spend a whole saturday just to build a house for my cat, out of an old computer box, where she can play, I am disgusted that such people even think about keeping living creatures in a box for 9 hours.

He really should give them away...

Comment

Why do people insist on having animals if they're just going to keep them locked up all day?

Reminds me of a neighbor and former (note use of that word) friend of ours. Earlier last year, she and her husband had filed for bankruptcy, yet she could still waltz out and buy two purebred Pomeranian puppies for $300 each. Fast forward a few months and guess what, they're in financial trouble again, so she calls my Mom up to ask her if she would still like to buy the male puppy, since Mom had told her if ever she decided she didn't want him, that we would be more than willing to take him off their hands. Mom absolutely loved this puppy, so we drove over there to give them a check and pick him up. Lo and behold, we discover that the two puppies have been being kept in crates, one stacked on the other, for pretty much 23 hours a day. Yes, the crates were large, and kept clean, and the dogs were kept brushed, but WHY?!

"Oh, I can't stand to let them out. They're always so full of energy and they run round like crazy things."

No shit, I might be a little crazy if I was kept locked in a cage all day too. The only time they got out was when the kids came home from school, and even then she would always make them put the dogs back after an hour or so because apparently they were being too noisy playing with them.

We're only sorry we couldn't have bought Meeko's sister from them as well, but at least we saved one

Neighbor was shocked when she came to visit to discover that Mom just lets him run all over the house and sleep in her room at night. No, that's right, he does not piddle and poo all over the place or chew things up. Yes, we housebroke him in less than a week. He's a very happy, people-loving little dog and not at all troublesome. We keep him in the bathroom when we leave the house, but we always give him his food and water, and his bed, and it's never for very long. We tried letting him have reign of the place one day and came back to find he had left three love offerings on the floor. One for each of us, I suppose.

Anywho . . . yeah. Assholes should not be allowed to have pets.
                      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Give me that asshole's address right now. It's about time we do a citizens' arrest and give him what's coming to him.

God damn uncivilized sons of bitches who hurt animals..........

Who's with me?
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what the OP said it sounds like these are not his cats, but rather the cats of someone he lives with.
                          Which brings to mind my deep, seething hatred of people who leave their animals with people who are not responsible with them. Although, to be fair, it is entirely possible that this guy only treats the cats this way when the real (if there is one) owner is not home.

Those poor kitties.
                          The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury. - Marcus Aurelius
                          If you're slower than me, stupider than me, and you taste good...you're dinner - Anthony Bourdain

Memento mori.

Comment

I totally agree. The only people allowed to 'babysit' my cat are my parents (who got me hooked on animals in the first place), and the friend of mine who bred him, and still owns his parents. Whenever Casey goes back to their place, he gets to visit his family, since his parents, one grandma, and his sister still live there. If they're not available, I'll go for 2 days max., or I don't go.
                            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Nox View Post
                              Why does he have carpet in his bathroom?!

I mean, hell. Maybe that's normal somewhere, but here tile and other things that don't absorb water are usually the flooring in bathrooms.
                              I've seen it before and I don't understand it either. It's usually done by people with more money than brains.
                              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                              X