Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, our money is getting less green by the year.

But even when it's all some metallic rainbow getup, they'll still be referred to as greenbacks.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
      Don't want to be a Canadian idiot <snip>
      Quoth Fawn View Post
      Whoever made that song/poem thing up deserves a rightful smack in the head. It may be a joke, but I find it offensive.
      *gasp* I LOVE this song! To me, there's nothing better than taking every random, idiotic stereotype about something, putting it all together, hitting "frappe", and pouring out a nice helping of "wtf" so thick that even most of the LCD can figure it out!
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
        [NZ currency isn't] legal tender [in Australia] and I never miss a 10 or 20 cents here and there.
        I was under the impression that it was, at least the smaller coins anyway. I've used NZ coins in vending machines before as well.

Maybe it's just accepted that they're the same size and shape, and in the same denominations. I haven't known anybody to refuse them.
        I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Quoth Fawn View Post
          Whoever made that song/poem thing up deserves a rightful smack in the head. It may be a joke, but I find it offensive.
          Actually it was a song by Weird Al and was a parody of American Idiot by Greenday.

I'm sorry that you find it offensive, but honestly it could be considered a complement. Most of that song is filled with exaggerations about Canadian culture. Kraft Macaroni, cleaner air, damn find prescription system and yes, far fewer guns and a crime rate that allows for that, etc.

If that's the worst that they could come up with then Canada's pretty damn lucky. Lets see what other countries get ragged about:

Poland - all the polish jokes
          Scotland - Sexual predilection for sheep
          USA - Dubya, war-mongers, the general pussification of our military might
          India - Apu from the Simpsons and all the Coffee's done jokes from that dot that some of them wear.
          France - Cheese-eating surrender monkeys
          Germany - Still hasn't shaken off all the uber-strict image of the Nazi
          Russia - In Mother Russia, [noun] [verb]s you

I could be worse...much worse for Canada

M
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

My mom once saw an American guy up here ranting that he got Canadian change. It was totally bizarre. He kept going "Why didn't you give me American change?" The girl at the counter was totally cool, she just went "Because you're in CANADA."
            It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
            -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I can never figure out why, if we, as Canadian clerks, would refuse to accept ANY US currency, from coins to bills, that would be such a terrible crime against our American customers, yet, if we travel across the border, that same spirit is not reciprocated to us.
              In some places, they won't even take Canadian coins.
              Right now, in my wallet, I have at least 5 US coins, even though I have never travelled in the US, so obviously, we don't make such a fuss up here.

We allow exchange rate on purchases for US bills. (Coins, we don't bother with, exchange rate, even though we will occasionally get some customer who insists, because he paid over $1 for a sale and paid with all US coin, that exchange should be given.)
              I don't see why the same can't be applied, especially as the Canadian dollar is quite high right now.
              In the same way that we give back the difference for your higher dollar, then deposit the US currency, why can't Canadians just pay a higher rate and you guys can deposit our currency?
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                Our money is awesome, if only for the colours.

But its also why we can't make gangster movies. You guys can use lines like "Show us the green" or "greenbacks" or whatever. For us its more like "LET ME SEE THE SKITTLES."
                Well, rule #1 violation, coffee all over my monitor, nasal passages burning, and my co-workers think I'm a psychopath.

I salute you good sir!
                Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                  I'm sorry that you find it offensive, but honestly it could be considered a complement. Most of that song is filled with exaggerations about Canadian culture....

...If that's the worst that they could come up with then Canada's pretty damn lucky. Lets see what other countries get ragged about:
                  I...I.... have to do it.
                  In Mother Russia, flag pledges you!!!

*shields her eyes.*
                  Last edited by Ree; 06-10-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    I can never figure out why, if we, as Canadian clerks, would refuse to accept ANY US currency, from coins to bills, that would be such a terrible crime against our American customers, yet, if we travel across the border, that same spirit is not reciprocated to us.
                    I posted a thread about this a while back, because its always bothered me too. I would often get an SC tossing his American money at me without so much as a "Do you take US currency here?" These SCs would just assume we'd take it.

I like the stories about people getting mad about getting Canadian change back.
                    It's a PENNY, for gord's sake! Of course, as Canadians, we were used to customers here getting excited when we gave them American change, back when the Canadian dollar was so low. "Ooh! It's a US quarter! Thanks! Awesome!"

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

At least here in Maine, we pretty much accept Canadian coin as US at face value. There's just too much mixing to deal with it any other way. However, most places will not accept Canadian bills. We do at the store where I work, although it's a bit of a pain because the registers have to be manually programmed with the exchange rate, and we are only allowed to accept whole dollar amounts.
                      man...nature...technology
                      mensch...natur...technik

Comment

Same here for Canadian coins. Though machines don't. Different alloy mix, weight, and all.
                        Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

I love, love, LOVE foreign currency. Almost makes me want to be a cashier again so I can get more.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Fawn View Post
                            Funny, I'm canadian and I find that song funny.

Maybe I'm not offended for having a lower crime rate or not even packing heat in my mall.

1st degree is bad, m'kay?
                            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              Oh, is Canada the big immigration hotspot now? I didn't know. Guess we'll have to learn to speak Canadian, eh?
                              Calgary currently has something like an 18-month waiting list for rental housing everywhere, and nobody told them that the housing boom was over. Something about being around oilfields was going on there....

Comment

Quoth Fawn View Post
                                but.. but.. its only 6cents less then the american dollar now!!
                                5.84 cents less and rising rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                                X