No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I had forgotten that the order and delivery day changed, so I got in my order today for my restaurant. I was very pleasantly surprised at the price of 80/20 ground beef - it didn't go up much at all from our last order.

Breathe a sigh of relief.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Our stay-home order is scheduled to expire on Monday, but it's expected that the governor is going to extend it when he speaks on Friday. We're probably gonna be seeing a staggered re-opening of low-risk businesses first, but it's probably gonna be June or July before things are like they were in The Before Time, The Long-Long-Ago.

The Store is completely restocked on ramen, bottled water, and most canned foods now, but we're still completely out of flour and yeast, we barely have any TP or paper towels, the only bleach we have is a Mexican brand that I'd never even heard of before this month, and the only hand sanitizer we're getting in is exclusively for Store use and not for sale.

In happier news, we got our second round of hazard pay bonuses today. Mine amounted to about $300, same as last month, so not exactly life-changing, but not for nothing either.
      Last edited by Smapti; 04-30-2020, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• A pair of my customers brought in their "economic impact payment" check and opened a certificate of deposit with it. (Through the drive-up, since our lobby is still closed.) I'm not sure how I feel about that, though that discussion is probably better relegated to Fratching.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Welp, we had our first instance of someone being an asshole to one of the nurses the other day due to coronavirus. For the most part, we've been fairly lucky to avoid that since we don't have an ED and we've made it *very* clear that we aren't offering testing.

Short version - patient decided to lie to one of the nurses, got called out on it, then flipped his lid and started abusing said nurse and admitting he didn't want her touching him because she might have it/spread it. Unfortunately, I suspect there's some underlying racism as well (not related to COVID) which just makes it worse.
          Last edited by LadyofArc; 04-30-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• I don't doubt that...two of our neighbors seem to be self-isolating to an extreme because of the racism. They get everything delivered, unpack and Lysol it to hell in the shared hallway and we never see them during the day. Even the little boy across the courtyard who I've waved at a few times and set up stuffed animals in the window for...one morning I saw him looking out, I waved and put out more stuffed animals; the father came, pulled him away from the window and pulled the blinds.

There's a run on oat milk of all things; the only refrigerated variety I can find in my preferred brand is low-fat. I don't mind self-stable, but mom gets annoyed with that for some reason (if it's a matter of storing unopened boxes I can put them under my bed).
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-01-2020, 02:16 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Seems like certain meats are not in stock at the Grocery Store's meat department, had a few complaints about that --- and I don't work in the damn department. I haven't seen any toilet paper at work in a while, then again I'm not actively looking for any since myself and other family members don't need any at the moment. Most of the shelves are stocked besides a few random things here and there.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• I'm seeing paper goods recovering. Meat sections are not in good shape, and disinfectant cleaning supplies are passing into the realm of myth and legend everywhere I go.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Today was the first time since things kicked off that I've been at the Store for opening instead of closing. We had a line of 37 people waiting to get in when the Store Manager opened the gate. He says it was about 70-80 when we first started closing overnight.

Our governor has extended the stay-home order until the end of this month, but he's already announced that some restrictions will remain in place after then. He's set up a four-phase program for reopening. Phase 1 starts this week and we'll be opening up state parks (but not beaches) for hiking, biking, and solo activities, but no team sports or camping, and a handful of businesses will be allowed to reopen. Restaurants and barbershops and bars are in Phase 2, which might be able to start next month, but we probably won't make it to Phase 4 (status quo antevirus) probably until next year.

I'm pretty much stranded at home on my days off since the buses aren't running, but the dial-a-lift service has been getting me to work and back.

Comment

• We were at my store shopping on Saturday, and while they had reduced the customer-occupancy limit there were more people shopping. A few of my warehouse buddies were working, so I expect that Grocery is going to be called back in the next few weeks. D3 is useless for actual stocking; I saw him doing a number of things that not only did he and all our managers tell us never to do, but would be a violation of official orders (social distancing, PPE, etc). I have my own washable mask and gloves; I think most of us who take this thing seriously do. T desperately wants me back working and I think most of the store does. I'm not that thrilled about taking public transit, but the weather is nice enough that I could walk home.

Mom finally told me her objections to oat milk; she just doesn't 'get it'. OK, if you don't like it you don't have to drink it. I happen to like the taste. Stop preaching to me about why you think it's dumb...right now, I'd think that more people are in need of dairy milk as the plant milks generally aren't covered by WIC. As long as I have the option I'm leaving the WIC products for those who have a need.
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-04-2020, 07:37 PM.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Over here, guv'mint is predicting an extended re-opening of business (malls, sports, schools and restaurants amongst other) by next week but everybody is holding their breath until a formal announcement tomorrow. Hopes are that we will adjust to Swedish standards re: recommendations about social distancing instead of policies.
                      Last edited by NorthernZel; 05-06-2020, 08:11 PM.
                      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• Oddly enough, our groceries have *expanded* their meat selection recently. Used to be the only place within 30 miles to get brisket (in any form) was way out in the boonies (Miss Daisy's favorite grocery). Now, the blue grocery and an employee-owned chain both carry whole ones for something like $3/lb).

Our state tried to do a "soft open" and then was immediately hit with skyrocketing infection cases, so they backpedaled within two days. Sorry, guys, but that cat's already out of the bag. Sit-down restaurants are being allowed to seat up to half capacity. but are not being forced to do so.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Our state tried to do a "soft open" and then was immediately hit with skyrocketing infection cases, so they backpedaled within two days.
                          That doesn't sound quite right... COVID has an incubation period, and while it's not always really long, it's still normally a few days. Having a jump so quickly may not have been the fault of that "soft open".

Comment

• Our county had one day with no new cases. One day. Everyone was like "cool, cool so we're done with this? Party!" Then, not the next week but the week after, the cases doubled compared to the week that had the one day with zero new cases.

Meanwhile the local radio DJs are periodically being like "FYI everyone, Costco HAS ANNOUNCED that they will LIMIT meat to THREE PER CUSTOMER!" They try to act like it's just to convey helpful information, but it's such fear mongering and going to actually cause more hording. My parents went to Costco during the senior time but didn't get out before it opened to the general public. My mom was pretty mad because people would wear masks to get in the doors, then immediately pull the mask down around their neck.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• At our meeting this morning, we were discussing testing, including antibody tests. One CW goes "what's that?" "Where they test your blood for antibodies." "What's that?" :sigh: "Antibodies are what your body produces to combat being infected with the virus. It's how to tell if you've had the virus and recovered." "Oh...."
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Shadow -- Good point, but our area has been really lax about participation in this, and enforcement, nonexistent. Lots of people straight-up ignoring the stay at home/distancing/mask advice. Convenient timing, I suppose. Could also be that we have more tests, too (unsure, but I hope we do). Also, there was a significant uptick in the number of people out on the roads as soon as news of the big protests hit.
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X