This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales, sales, sales, etc...

Don't you just hate sales? Customers are bad enough but add a sale to it and you'll be crying by the end of the day. Not only do they multiply but they also get stupider (if that was even possible).

Mind you all of this occurred TODAY.

Scenario #1

DG= Dumb Guy
    Me= Duh...

Me: That'll be $xx.xx.
    DG: WHAT? It's suppose to be on sale for $xx.xx!
    Me: (sighs and takes a deep breath) This item doesn't go on sale for $xx.xx until Sunday.
    DG: Not true. You're trying to make me pay more.

Sidenote: I can't stand when people say this. Why in the world would I try to make you pay more? It's not like the money is going to me, so really, be less stupid.

I pull out my copy of the flyer and point to the big red letters where it says, "SUNDAY SALE".

DG: But don't you have a sale going on now?
    Me: Yes, but today's sale is different. That item goes on sale SUNDAY!
    DG: Oh, whatever. (walks out while mumbling that he wasted his time)

Scenario #2

SW= Stupid Woman
    Me= Well, duh again

SW: Is this on sale?
    Me: (scans merchandise) No. It's regular price.
    SW: Can I get it on sale?
    Me: (huh?) Um...no.
    SW: Why not?
    Me: (huh?) Um...because it's not on sale.

Scenario #3

DA= Dumbass
    Me=

DA: I got the last one of _______.
    Me: Okay.
    DA: I want to buy more.
    Me: Well, it's a sale item so it's no wonder it went fast. I can look up other stores and see if they have any left but they won't hold it for you.
    DA: Why not?
    Me: (explains the usual)
    DA: Whatever. Can you just look them up then?
    Me: Uh huh.

So I look up what stores have what and I tell him the only one with more then 5 left is 3 cities away. He isn't happy about that.

DA: I'm not driving that far. When will you have more in?
    Me: (tells him)
    DA: Can I get the sale price then?
    Me: Um...no. It's a Friday Sale. It's only one day.

We go back a few more times and finally he wants a manager. Manager basically tells him the same thing and he leaves angry. Surprise...surprise.

Scenario #4

SK= Stupid Kid
    Me= Pretty mad right about now

SK: How long is it on sale?
    Me: Only today.
    SK: How much will it be after the sale?
    Me: $xx.xx.
    SK: Can I get it next week at the sale price?
    Me: No, the sale will be finished then.
    SK: Can you hold it for me until then?
    Me: Yes, but it will be at the normal price.
    SK: I want to pay the sale price! I ain't got no money right now! \
    Me: (and that's my problem how?) Stares blankly.

Kid walks away, finds his mum and complains to her. He says he doesn't have his allowance and she ends up buying the spoiled brat the item and they leave.

Scenario #5

ADG= Another Dumb Guy
    Me= Still pissed off

ADG: When does the sale go to?
    Me: Until we close.
    ADG: Oh, okay. Can you hold these for me?
    Me: No. We aren't allowed to hold sale items.
    ADG: If I leave and come back and it isn't here, can I still get that price when you get more in?
    Me: Nope.
    Silence.
    ADG: When is this going on sale again?
    Me: (seeing as how I'm not a psychic) I have no idea.

Scenario #6

SSC= Stupid Sucky Couple
    Me= A little happier since I just came back from lunch.

Now I'm at the return desk.

SSC: This >insert product name< didn't ring up on sale. The cashier overcharged us!
    Me: This isn't on sale.
    SSC: The sign says all ceiling fans on sale.
    Me: No. it doesn't. It says select models and it lists them. This isn't one of them.
    SSC: That's false advertising. It's illegal. We want it on sale now! Call a manager.
    Me: Sure.

I call a manager and the only one available is Greg and no one likes him because he doesn't have a backbone. He will give SC's anything. So of course by the end of their back and off, he breaks down and gives them 20% off. Way to go smartass. Rewarding sucky people.

Scenario #7

Urgh= Just urgh...
    Me= Only thirty more minutes and then I go home.

Urgh: The cashier overcharged me.
    Me: (looks at receipt) No, he didn't. The item is originally $5.00 and it rung up as $2.50.
    Urgh: It's buy one get one free.
    Me: You did get one free.
    Urgh: The cashier charged me for both.
    Me: (explains to him that our registers will not allow a product to be sold for $0.00 so we had to split the cost when two are rung up) <--- Blame this on corporate.
    Urgh: I need a manager. This isn't right!
    Me: (tries to explain basic math)
    Urgh: Manager!
    Me: Okay, sir.

I have no idea why corporate INSISTS on using the buy one get one free thing knowing darn well that our registers will not ring up a product as $0.00. You can't even markdown a product to 0. Also, wouldn't it just be easier to call it a half off sale?

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
    You can't even markdown a product to 0. Also, wouldn't it just be easier to call it a half off sale?
    But then you couldn't say that the second one was Free!

And we all know that 1 at full price and 1 for free is way better than 2 at half price each...

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sounds like a day at Sears.

We had a lady complain because we put the saturday sale signs up (With little "Our new sale starts SATURDAY! over the new prices) on friday.
      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Do you work at Circuit City?

Because I'm having flashbacks from Thursday.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          But then you couldn't say that the second one was Free!

And we all know that 1 at full price and 1 for free is way better than 2 at half price each...
          Ironic yes but from a business standpoint doing a BOGO deal is better than a 1/2 off sale if you want to move merchandise.

Plus, even if the 50% discount was contingent on buying 2 of an item, people would argue that they should be able to get just one of the item for $2.50--we all know about SCs and signs

Of course, then you might say "Why not have a 2/$5 sale?" See Andara's quote

Comment

I don't hate sales as much as I hate Senior Days. We're always uber-busy and senior citizens can be either the sweetest, best customers you have or the crankiest, most sour-tempered customers you have. And most of our Senior Day patrons fall into the latter category.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I just LOVE it when people say "The cashier overcharged me!"

These idiots expect us to fucking memorize the sale price for all 100 items featured in the weekly sale ad. They think that we go home and study the sale ad or something I guess. Sorry, I don't get paid enough for that shit! LOL
              Last edited by RammsteinGirl; 08-04-2007, 09:41 AM.
              My Myspace, add me!

Comment

I went shopping yesterday at Hobby Lobby where the cashiers did need to know everything on sale because everything is entered manually! She had a sales flier under the glass on her counter, but still can cause major issues, of course.

Once I realized, I found the next item I had that was on sale on the flier for her so she could see the price. But I can just see the major SCness that would come from that situation. Poor cashiers.

Comment

I went shopping yesterday. It was like Christmas time, only 100 degrees outside and no pretty lights. Our state is having it's second annual tax free weekend. WHOOHOO.

The number of dumbasses out there was astounding. Not that I was one of them...(yes I was, but I wasn't a bad CUSTOMER! lol)

Where I work they used to put up the sale for the following week---that would start on Sunday--the Saturday night preceding it. Which was fine, except that customers saw the signs and expected the sale then. AND we had to give it to them! (Which was a lovely process of over-riding and shit).

The number of times I heard "UGH, why do you have the signs up NOW..if it doesn't start until tomorrow"...(We'd explain why...) "UGH, that's SO STUPID!" Now, I totally understand being annoyed, because unlike some places, our little sale signs--the sale date? It's about this (ex: Aug 4-7) big. IT's there, but teeny tiny. BUT it's still there.

It'll be fun today, when I have to explain to people that the tax free things is only for CERTAIN items. All the other stuff will ring up with sales tax, because they are supposed to. And those other stores aren't NOT charging sales tax for non -exempt items, they are just PAYING THE TAX for you...

Blah.

I'm going to go out and fight over composition notebooks for my 7 year old. Wish me luck.
                  you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post

The number of times I heard "UGH, why do you have the signs up NOW..if it doesn't start until tomorrow"...(We'd explain why...) "UGH, that's SO STUPID!" Now, I totally understand being annoyed, because unlike some places, our little sale signs--the sale date? It's about this (ex: Aug 4-7) big. IT's there, but teeny tiny. BUT it's still there.
                    They just don't get it that in order to have the signs ready when you open on the day of the sale, perhaps you have to put them up BEFORE! DUH!

I've learned to read sale signs very carefully, after buying stuff that i THOUGHT was on sale, but wasn't yet. But that's my own fault, and I just let it go....and tell myself to be more careful in the future!

Comment

And they gave up after that? :scoffs: Some people need lessons.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
                        I just LOVE it when people say "The cashier overcharged me!"

These idiots expect us to fucking memorize the sale price for all 100 items featured in the weekly sale ad. They think that we go home and study the sale ad or something I guess. Sorry, I don't get paid enough for that shit! LOL
                        To be honest, most people in my experience would just come back and say something along the lines of "this was supposed to be X.XX" or "I think this is wrong" or whatever. I didn't often hear "s/he overcharged me!" But when they did and I used to get called to fix something I would rephrase it and ask "What rang up wrong?" making sure to emphasize that it was the register and not the cashier. In a perfect world the cashier would catch mistakes but we can't catch everything.

(Biggest issues in the bookstore were either missing a bargain sticker and scanning the book's original barcode instead**, or something that had a discount sticker but rang up full price, which was usually because it was discounted in the recent past and someone missed one when taking the stickers off, or the occasional days when the bestsellers for some reason didn't ring up discounted and then we had to call the helpdesk because it was usually a central database problem.

**which to be frank is the cashier's fault but if you have a lot of stuff and the book is upside down it's easy to miss a bargain sticker on the front of the book.)
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

SW= Stupid Woman
                          Me= Well, duh again

Whenever an SC asks me for a sale price(as if there has EVER been a sale on beer in a Ballpark ) I tell them "Sure I'll make a sale for you...buy one for the price of two and I'll give you one free!" Its too funny to watch the tiny wheels in their skulls turning furiously as they try to figure out whether that's a good deal or not.

Comment

Regarding putting up signs for upcoming sales a day or more early, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Those customers of sucketh will not see the notation, in reasonably large print in many cases, that the sale is for certain upcoming dates only. They will be suprised when an item is not on sale, and those that redline on the sucketh meter, will insist that they get the sale price, because the signs are up.

But then, hey! If the store waits until the day of the sale to put the signs up, those that sucketh will complain that they would have waited until sale day to purchase whatever item they bought the other day, had they known the sale was upcoming.

Ya just can't win!

Mike
                            Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                            X