This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Kinda Need that....

I'll have a full writeup on this weeks' football shenanigans soon enough, but until then, enjoy the one so stupid it couldn't wait for Monday to be posted.

-I think you towed my car

-What kind and what color?

-Blue Kia, license XXX-XXX (hooray! Someone knows WHAT they actually DRIVE!)

-Ah, yes, we have it, it will be $130 and I'll need your driver's license.

-I don't have one

-You don't have it with you?

-No, I just don't have one

-Well, we can't release this car without photo ID.

-I don't have any of those, either.

- Sorry then, can't release it.

-Well, what If I go get my friend? He has a license.

-That's fine, as long as he's the one whose information we use.

-Okay, Thanks!

You know, I'm not surprised at this, not at all. What I am surprised about is it took 6 years of working the impound counter for it to happen..... all things considered.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Maybe he saw the car being towed and thought he could get it cheap by pretending to own it.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      Maybe he saw the car being towed and thought he could get it cheap by pretending to own it.
      That never happens in Real Life (tm), only in the minds of people furious that the only thing we ask for is photo ID, forgetting that we also require you to stand under these security cameras while you do it, and also have to have the keys to actually drive off with the car when you're done, also under the eye of another security camera.

Thieves who want your car will just throw a brick through the window and drive off with it....

Comment

after he comes back for the car, and leaves

"Hello, police? Yeah, this is Argabarga's Towing. We just had a guy in here to pick up his car who says he's never had a driver's license at all, but drives anyway. Just thought you might wanna know.....Sure! His license plate is XXXXXXX...."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

"Hello, police? Yeah, this is Argabarga's Towing. We just had a guy in here to pick up his car who says he's never had a driver's license at all, but drives anyway. Just thought you might wanna know.....Sure! His license plate is XXXXXXX...."
          This! 'Cause if he doesn't have his driver's license, then what else doesn't he have? Like, oh, say insurance? Makes me wonder how the car got registered though...
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

The guy calling may be the real owner: the guy who paid the money for the car. However, the name on the title is the guy he bought it from. Pretty common trick. If the driver gets pulled over and law enforcement realizes he has no licence, the registered owner states that the driver was borrowing his car and didn't realize that he didn't have a valid licence.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              Makes me wonder how the car got registered though...
              I don't know about other states, but in PA, the only thing you need to register a car in your name is proof of insurance. There isn't even any minimum age. However, most insurance companies won't insure you without a valid license, and the few that do tend to be pricey.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Back in the day when I was working for an insurance company, we had a customer from Oz. He bought some land, a truck, and started growing eucalyptus leaves to sell zoos to feed the Koalas. Every morning, they would pick the fresh leaves, pack them up with dry ice and deliver them to the airport for delivery.

Nice nitch market, right? The only hitch in this plan was that not only did his 14 and 16 year old children drive the truck around on their property, they sometimes drove the shipment to the airport. He never really did understand that allowing his unlicensed children to drive his delivery truck on the freeway was illegal, he was constantly complaining to me about how his insurance went up every time one of his kids got a ticket.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  . He never really did understand that allowing his unlicensed children to drive his delivery truck on the freeway was illegal, he was constantly complaining to me about how his insurance went up every time one of his kids got a ticket.
                  Around the property I can understand. But on the freeway? Why didn't HE just drive the damned truck?

I know, I know, we have no way of understanding his 'logic'. But it seems to me the fix to his problem would be so damned simple.

Comment

Maybe he's from the north end of Western Australia, and thinks like this guy: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-0...broome/7309306

Comment

I was hoping we'd get a report from you about the football shenanigans.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                        Like, oh, say insurance? Makes me wonder how the car got registered though...
                        The owner could have signed up with one of those insurance companies for shitty drivers (think Safe Auto or equivalent), taken out a policy, then canceled it a month or so later. Unless the car is involved in an accident, nobody would know....at least until Pennsylvania state inspection time. Even then, that's a joke as well--it's not hard to simply not get the car inspected at all. That's what the asshole who hit me did. The policy on his (mom's) car had been dropped back in June. Didn't stop him from driving and smashing up my car in August
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                          I was hoping we'd get a report from you about the football shenanigans.
                          They were too busy causing $23K in damages during the post-game riot to bother illegal parking....

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

In another life, I had a friend who was ticketed for DUI. His lawyer told friend, "Get into the first 'Drunk School' course you can, because taking the course when you haven't got a license to drive to it is a bitch." It's required for offenders to get their license back and getting the continuance for the court date when the license would be taken away was the best deal the lawyer could offer.

Friend attended class first night. Instructor asked how many had had their licenses suspended. All hands but one went up. Instructor asked how many had driven there that night. Hands stay up. He explained police would be outside at the end of class, ready to cite anyone driving with a suspended license.

Comment

One thing I've read is that anyone with a pilot's license should NOT take a Traffic School course to get out of a ticket. Since a ticket that's dodged through Traffic School doesn't indicate what it was for originally, and some DUI cases (generally a "simple" one - getting caught at a checkpoint, not being found out after a crash) can be dodged that way, the FAA takes a VERY dim view of Traffic School being on someone's driver's license. To them, a ticket for running a red light, or 20 over in a school zone, doesn't look as bad as Traffic School.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X