• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ones I played a lot when younger;

Loom
    Secret of Monkey Island
    Doom
    Myst
    Death Track (286 era racing game, you were on a track with nine other cars, everyone had guns.)

I know there were others, but those are the ones I remember right now.

Comment

Doh reading .. I did it wrong. *sighs* Computer games hmm? Lets see besides Doom, Quake, Stick in the Mud, The Realm, Wolfeinstein, pong, there were a lot of text based ones I don't remember the name of..I think their names were eaten by a Grue
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Ultima series.. Very suprised noone mentioned yet.
        Zork, planetfall, Hitchhikers guide and other infocom text adventures.
        Hero's quest aka Quest for Glory
        Lode Runner.
        Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
        Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
        Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
          Pong

Later we got an atari and played tank.

Thanks for reminding me that I am old.
          we had tank but it blew up the TV. yep Tank blew up our TV. My dad was playing it, fired a shot and there was a bang , a horrible smell and the screen died. The offical reason was that the tube died/imploded but we know it was dad's shot went astray.

Comment

When I was younger I used to play a lot of games on the Amiga 500 my youth club had. Off the top off my head I remember games as Leisure Suit Larry, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi and Zany Golf.

At one time I "inherited" an old POS computer (16 MB RAM, could barely run Windows 95!) from my workplace, so I had great pleasure in downloading old game emulations like Commander Keen and Zany Golf to a floppy disk at work, and then playing them at home.

Though I also remember playing Pong on one of them reeeeaaaally old consoles (the ones with dials instead of a joystick) and programming my own Space Invader-ish game on a C64.
            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Another one I liked was Hugo 's House of Horrors.
              "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

A lot of the first computer games I played as a kid were of the educational nature.

~Quarky and Quaysoo's Turbo Science
                ~The Treehouse
                ~Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego?
                ~Treasure Mountain
                ~Treasure Cove

Of course, I had others too:

~King's Quest VI
                ~King's Quest VII
                ~The 7th Guest
                ~SimTown (perhaps the best thing to come out of Maxis before its hostile takeover by EA)
                ~Sim City
                ~Legend of Kyrandia: The Hand of Fate

My dad was the one who played all the Doom, Duke Nukem, and stuff like that when my sister and I were kids. We used to watch, though.

ETA: And, yes, I *did* play King's Quest: Mask of Eternity. For all of a few minutes. That game ruined the series.
                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                  ETA: And, yes, I *did* play King's Quest: Mask of Eternity. For all of a few minutes. That game ruined the series.
                  don't know what your talking about....KQ:VI was the last one EVER made >.>

look up the silver lining though....independent company made a 5 part game wrapper.....you play as King Graham again
                  It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I loved Intellivesion games - Burger Time, Astrosmash, Lock & Chase, and another I can't remember the name, but you're in a ship in the human body and have to hunt down viruses and other diseases/pathogens.

Then I had a TRS-80 and a lot of fun games, like Looping and Dungeons of Dagorath

When I had my first "real" computer running Win 98, I LOVED Dragon Wars, and Warcraft II - Tides of Darkness.
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

First one was Tank on an friend's old Atari 2600. We were very happy (and richer) when Space Invaders was ported to the 2600.

Personal computer side was (on the C-64):

Jumpman
                      * Quest (Pick one - Sierra On-Line's games back then were golden)
                      M.U.L.E. (Best group game ever!)
                      Archon
                      Colonial Conquest (one game lasted 3 months for the summer with a friend)
                      Knights of the Desert
                      Flight Simulator

B
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Titan Empire
                        Galactic Empire

(I had an Apple ][+, 48k)

Comment

Loom
                          Star Trek (DOS)
                          Star Trek 25th Anniversary
                          Maniac Mansion
                          Wolfenstein
                          Myst/Riven/Exile (my current version of Win7 doesn't have compatibility mode so while I still have the games I can't get them to run)
                          Star Wars X-Wing and Dark Forces
                          Commander Keen series
                          Designasaurus II

http://www.myabandonware.com/

I recently rediscovered a silly little Gameboy puzzle game called Catrap. Weirdly addicting.
                          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 02-10-2012, 03:47 AM.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My dad works for A large computer company that is not IBM. When I was a kid, he would sometimes take me into work with him. I used to play this Star Trek game on a mainframe.

Comment

Hocrap. Old games.

Well first of all I had a small collection of games on floppy discs. I think my favourite was StarGoose, a top-down kind of...puzzle flying game. I was a bit crap at it. Others included the original Prince of Persia and a game for Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Also crap at them.

Then I was introduced to my first console. My father's Atari 2600. It was SO AWESOME. It plugged into the TV and everything!! 8D We had Pacman!! There were also two games based in Ancient Egypt, one being a tomb-robbing kind of maze game that was fiendishly hard - only ever got to level 2 of 4 even today - and the other was a strategy game, essentially a long trading sequence. Tutenkhan and Prince of Egypt, I think were their names. There was also Combat, loads of little tank and plane games with invisible vehicles, mazes, bouncing bullets... We had a Popeye game, and a great game called Phoenix which was essentially Space Invaders but with evil birds. I also saw a game my uncle brought once, a difficult game that had you wandering around for phone pieces, avoiding bad guys and falling down holes. YES I have played the worst game of all time.

Then...let's see...I think the UK version of Oregon Trail (educational game ubiquitous in schools) was a mathematics game called the Crystal Rainforest. It could only be played on Acorns. I loved it to bits.

Edit: Thought of more!! I had a CD-Rom full of demo and shareware games. Some sucked, others were great fun. My favourite was a game called Catacomb Abyss, one of the very first first-person shooters - I think it might be older than Wolfenstein. I found a Let's Play on YouTube and loooved watching it. ^^ My and my friend used to play it co-op - her shooting, me moving. It was quite creepy, not a warzone or anything; you were a wizard venturing into the town cemetary and the haunted areas beyond, where the bad guys had raised a mausoleum to your worst enemy and you had to go and stop them.

Edit again: Mooore!!
                              Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                              and another I can't remember the name, but you're in a ship in the human body and have to hunt down viruses and other diseases/pathogens.
                              I HAVE THAT GAME 8D you're the first other person who knows about it!! It was called Bodyworks Voyager. It was a cross between Trauma Centre and The Incredible Journey and trumps Trauma Centre hands down. It was INCREDIBLE *does the happy nostalgia dance*
                              Last edited by SongsOfDragons; 02-10-2012, 09:33 AM. Reason: :D Moar games!!
                              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

First, from an old gamer, thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

This is going to be long...

When I was 12, I got my first gaming system, an Atari 2600. My favorites were Space Invaders, Frogger, Megamania, Airlock, Ms. Pac-Man...there were so many.

The ColecoVision was next - My favorites were Donkey Kong, Pepper II, and Super Action Baseball with the special Super Action controllers.

I started the computer program at school in 10th grade, and they had Commodore 64's. On off hours, they'd let us use them, and I got to play a lot of games on them. Kickman, Ghostbusters, Archon, Bruce Lee, Choplifter, Impossible Mission, and Jumpman I and II come to mind, although we had a lot more.

My parents misunderstood when I told them I wanted a computer - instead of the C64 I though we were getting, I got an Apple IIe. Not complaining, though - It got me through a lot of school reports, and I was able to play a few games, like Prince of Persia and Conan.

So, that's my list as a kid. I have all of the games and systems still, except for the Apple IIe. I did find a complete Apple IIc computer for $10 a couple of years ago, and I still have the game disks. When I graduate I'll have to break them out and try them all...

Comment

Working...
                                X