Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, why? Just because they wouldn't understand why you can't work all the time as their workhorse anymore?
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Don't think the shifts will allow it. I could be working five 8-hour days, or three 12-hour days. If it's the latter, I'll probably be sleeping through my first day off after the three-day stretch.

So that leaves me only three days to work a second job, and that's not even considering overtime.

Just don't think it will work.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

What's the over-under that, assuming Irv gets the new job and resigns, within 3 days of quitting he's asked to come in to help with the trucks because they're so short-staffed?

And for bonus points, what's the over-under on how quickly they threaten to cut his hours for not being a team player?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Don't think the shifts will allow it. I could be working five 8-hour days, or three 12-hour days. If it's the latter, I'll probably be sleeping through my first day off after the three-day stretch.
          Three 12's are a bitch to get used to, but once you get used to them it's hard to go back to a regular shift.

When I first started on 12s, I spend the first day off sleeping, but then my body adjusted and it was truly like having 4 full days off. And I'm quite a bit older than you, so I think you'd adjust nicely.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth reimero View Post
            What's the over-under that, assuming Irv gets the new job and resigns, within 3 days of quitting he's asked to come in to help with the trucks because they're so short-staffed?

And for bonus points, what's the over-under on how quickly they threaten to cut his hours for not being a team player?
            Yeah, no one on this board is going to bet on this. It's a lock that he'll get a call within the three days.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Interview went very well, I think. I was interviewed by somebody who I assume is a manager, and two other guys who I assume are supervisors or at least more experienced.

Most of the questions seemed to be to gauge if I would show up and do the work.

Now begins the waiting game. If I don't get a job there, at least it won't be because I bombed the interview.

I'm late responding because after the interview I had to go home and change so I could go into work tonight. Scheduling SNAFU...again.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

They are SO going to crash and burn without you...
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

When I was interviewed at the place I work at (ol Lordy this was back in 06!) it was someone from HR, and then I got placed into the area I was to work in and I didn't meet my boss or shift leads until my first night.

Though, in recent years, supervisors were doing interviews, even on weekends. I'm not real sure how it works anymore.

If you get the job and need any hints on surviving back to back 12 hour shifts, you know who's just a PM away
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                  X