Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job-Hunting sucks. >< (rambling, sorry)

I'm trying restaurants, fast food, offices, retail...

After I walked out on that last job that was only a week or so, I think Karma wants to be mad at me. Too bad I can't regret it enough. Sure, I need the money, but I won't lower my dignity TOO much for it. Foolish pride? I know. Its a family trait, and I'm foolishly proud of that trait LOL

Anyways, my resume looks decent, but when I apply for office positions, I am missing mentioning the experience related...

I helped my mother manage apartments, though, since I was 10. I took care of multiple phone lines, did manual book keeping, interpreted when it was necessary, was basically the voice for my mother when she was in the hospital as well as well as taking care of her "office"

But since she does it all without a computer...I don't have the kind of experience they're looking for anyways
    I need to learn Microsoft Office better, but I have nothing to use it for...not even self use cause I don't know what feature is meant for, what does what, except for Word. o.O;

I guess I'm getting discouraged, I've had 5 interviews this week, and 4 have been rejected rather quickly. (5th one I'll know by sunday)

I'm going to two more places to try and apply, but I'm beginning to stress and lose hope. For sure I need to find work by May 5th, otherwise, paying my share of rent is going to be...rather....screwy.

You might try some of Microsoft's training modules to see if they are helpful: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...101782702.aspx

And make sure that experience makes it on your resume. You can have one resume for fast food and retail applications, for example, and another resume for office positions that highlights your experience helping your mother. Ideally, each resume you turn in should be tailored to that particular employer, but that's not always feasible. You can certainly however make an office-position oriented resume and a separate retail position resume.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Look at call centers. Yes, they can be hellish, but they can also give needed experience. I hated my 5 years in call centers, but after working them I notice that I am getting much more interest from companies hiring for data entry or analyst positions. It can be rough, but it can get your foot in the door. Another option is a good temp agency, which can help train you and get you into a job you wouldn't otherwise qualify for to get some experience.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
        Look at call centers. Yes, they can be hellish, but they can also give needed experience. I hated my 5 years in call centers, but after working them I notice that I am getting much more interest from companies hiring for data entry or analyst positions. It can be rough, but it can get your foot in the door. Another option is a good temp agency, which can help train you and get you into a job you wouldn't otherwise qualify for to get some experience.
        I agree with that. As much as working for call centers suck, they can help you get into clerical positions. The trick is to know how to emphasize the more clerical and technical aspects of your job experience and skills to prospective employers on your resume and interviews. Aside from that, with call centers there's advancement opportunities and it pays a bit more than working in retail and the restaurant biz and it's easier to get full time hours too.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

That and they're always hiring. I might still be looking at them myself, if it weren't for the fact that 5 years burned me out so bad that I started having constant panic attacks at my last call center job. After that, well....I don't look at them, because I know I can't do that any more.

Comment

Another idea is volunteering for an office position with a local charity or shelter. Since you're a volunteer, they usually won't say no if they need you at all, and they can train you. Plus, it's experience you can list on a resume.

Comment

Temp agencies used to offer training for their candidates. I don't know if they still do it, but if haven't signed up with any, please look into it. Even someone lacking in skills can land something, even as boring as just answering phones. When there isn't work, go for training.

Also, the Microsoft training is really good. I've done it but I still need to do my MOS test. That costs money.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I agree with the volunteering idea for two reasons - training and several places (around here anyways) like to see job canidates who have a concern for their community.
                Have you tried a skill-based resume? Just sit down and list everything that you did for your Mom, then when you are looking at a job posting "translate" items off your list to your resume. Examples: "basically the voice for my mother when she was in the hospital" = patient care advocate
                "manual book keeping" = experienced with: manual journal entries; accounts payable / receivable (if you helped her do her bills); managed petty cash
                You probably have a ton of "translatable" skills - did you work with the hospital bills? = experience with coordinating medical billing and insurance.
                Check with your local worksource - they often have free, hands-on computer classes in Word and Excel. I wouldn't overly worry about specifics - lots of places have their own proprietary programs that you wouldn't know going in anyways - those places just want to know that you are comfortable enough around the basic programs that it won't be too hard to train you on their programs.
                As much as I hate to say it - I also agree in call center work (in the short term) because many places also offer free additional training with online courses, decent pay and (usually) insurance.

Comment

Unfortunately, volunteer is out of the question, if it doesn't pay, I cannot do it... I'm out in an apartment, my friend was helping out but its imperative I get a paying job by May, or its risking being homeless. I relied on him wayyyy too much as it was. I'm not trying to make excuses, but I need to survive.

I am applying for the call centers in town and looking up a temp agency, but not having a driver's license makes it difficult, but I'm really trying. I have a bike I can ride through most of town. (There is one area I'll avoid, but its not really business based anyways)

I had a job interview Thursday, and he said call backs were Sunday at the latest. Its Saturday, and I'm debating calling him soon asking to follow up on that, or is it me just being desperate?

Comment

Working...
                  X