Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For whatever reason, there seems to be a sizable Korean population in KC, which means a number of really good Korean restaurants. We love one Korean BBQ place in particular. And, yes, kimchi is awesome, although it's a bit spicy for me. Usually I only have a few bites.

I would love some authentic Vietnamese food. I've never tried Pho or Banh Mi, but both look and sound soooo good. There may be some in KC...I'll have to investigate. Actually, there aren't a lot of good Asian restaurants in Lawrence. There's a decent sushi place, but it's expensive. All the Chinese restaurants are cheap and crappy, designed for the college kiddos. There are a few hibachi places, but I've heard bad things about them. Eh.

Someone mentioned Popeye's and I'll second it. Hell, any fast food chicken besides KFC (yuk). I'd do just about anything for a Zaxby's.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I want McGuffey's back... They've been closed for going on a decade now and I still wake in the night craving the "New Orleans Seafood Delight" (blackened tuna steak in cajun cream sauce with peppers and mushrooms over rice or pasta) and the "Mississippi Mud Pie" (coffee ice cream with fudge and nuts in a chocolate cookie crust). There used to be one about three miles down the road from where I live now.

What happened to them, you ask? They were a small chain with a handful of restaurants in NC and, weirdly enough, Missouri. They hired an efficiency weasel to help them make the place run leaner and meaner, and the efficiency weasel made them run so lean and mean that they went out of business after such efficient ideas as switching the linen napkins out for paper, cutting down on the spice, and using water instead of cream in sauces.

Everyone I know remembers that place fondly.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

A&W's are very common up here in the GWN (or at least the Eastern part of it). Don't go there that often though.

For me, I want a Mongolian Grill. I got hooked on it when I went to Waterloo, and I really want one down here.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
          For me:
          Bennigans - Monte Christo
          HELL YEAH to Bennigan's and their Monte Cristo!!!! I actually worked at a Bennigan's in Maryland for a very brief period. There is one I went to last year outside of San Diego.

For anyone missing out on the Monte Cristo, it's pretty easy to make yourself. I made it for bf and thought he would jump out of his skin, he was so excited. But beware....it's quite addictive.
          "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            Kelly, that was probably Ruby Tuesday's, which I would also love to have here!
            No, that wasn't it......it was sort of a 50's-style place, and I'm wanting to say it had "Lou" in the title. (although that particular mall DID have a Ruby Tuesday's in the food court area)

Comment

Well, the hubby and I pretty much don't eat at chains as a rule. We'll occasionally go to Cracker Barrel and that's about it. We prefer to eat at locally owned restaurants, even when travelling. What our town needs an Indian restaurant, a Lebanese restaurant, a German restaurant, a French restaurant, and patisseries of the French and Austrian varieties. I hate having to drive 45+ up into north metro Atlanta to eat out. What we do NOT need is another pizza place, another taqueria, or another Chinese take-out.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                I would love some authentic Vietnamese food. I've never tried Pho or Banh Mi, but both look and sound soooo good.
                Pho is quite delicious. We have a nice little Pho place within a mile or so, we haven't been there in a while but it may be time to go back. (Funny story - even though the word is pronounced something like "Feu" as it comes from the days when Vietnam was under French rule, it's easy to do some wordplay when naming the restaurants. Around 2005 I was visiting the Seattle area and across the lake in Bellevue there was a restaurant called "What the Pho" )
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Plush Pippen. They haven't been around since the late '80s, but they had good food and wonderful pie. I would also love a good saimin (Hawaiian noodle soup,) place around here, but I live just outside Portland, which is a foodie's mecca, so not needing much else. We have everything: Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese (a lot of Viet restaurants around...) German, French, Lebanese, Japanese, Indian, Mongolian BBQ, even fondue restaurants.

I would highly recommend you try pho if you are interested and never have had it. Just be aware, they tend to use some unusual cuts of beef in it (like tripe, if you order it.) And be very careful of the sauces on the table; Vietnamese spices put Thai ones to shame.

Comment

One of the few things I miss from Phoenix is good, authentic Mexican food. I don't get the craving often, but when I do, I gotta have the real thing. I have yet to find a Mexican restaurant out here that hasn't been Americanized to death; one restaurant served me a chile relleno that tasted more like a celery relleno!

I also miss authentic Chinese food. There's one place here that makes good Chinese food and has nicely priced lunch specials with generous helpings, but it's also Americanized, not authentic. I miss the Five Spice Chicken from Best Hong Kong Dining!

I'd love to see a Souper Salad open up here. Also a Del Taco (there is one in a town 40 minutes north of me, so it's not too bad, but I'd still rather have one nearby).

We finally got a Red Lobster out here! Naturally, it opened very close by a long established seafood restaurant, McGraths.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

There is so much I miss. I grew up in Michigan, lived in Georgia, and now a small town in Alaska...with not much here. That is one thing I look forward to when we move next month, more restaurants and things that are open past 10pm. Top on my list, Cracker Barrel (none where we are going though ) and Fazoli's. Oh, and a good Japanese steakhouse/cook at your table place.

Comment

All within walking distance of my house, I have a Mcdonalds, Taco Bell, Kentucaly Fried Chicken, Arby's, Burger King, Chicago Pizza, Panda Express, Carl's Jr, Jack in the box, Pizza Hut, Round Table Pizza, Izzy's Pizza, Old Country Buffet, Shari's, Chang's Mongolian Grill, and various other private food places.

Personally, I'd love to have a White Castle Burger in Portland. I want to try those mini burgers that they made an entire movie devoted in two men's quest for them.
                        Military Spouse Support.
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I tried White Castle when I was in St. Louis once. I was sick the rest of the day. Although, I can see the appeal if you're stoned.
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I'm near St. Louis MO and I'd like to see the following:

Shoney's
                            Taco Bueno
                            In & Out Burger
                            Naugle's
                            Training Table
                            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post

Personally, I'd love to have a White Castle Burger in Portland. I want to try those mini burgers that they made an entire movie devoted in two men's quest for them.
                              Trust me, you're missing nothing other than the "pleasure" of your butt and Mr. Toilet Seat becoming close personal friends.

I ate at a White Castle in Kenosha while I was down there with a college friend. It wasn't that good and it....well, see above.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There used to be a lot of Korean restaurants around,but not anymore...I have a sneakin' suspicion why & it has to do with the braziers on the tables where you cooked your own bul-go-gi.Get enough dumb people cookin' parts of themselves & Welcome to Lawsuit City.

A bummer really,Mrs. Frantic & I love Korean food.
                                "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X