This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, count me in!!

one of my resolutions was to start hitting thy gym once a week; i haven't been since the start of the year - just found out that my NEW apt has a fitness center - i will be going to it at least once a week, and will be considering either upping my current gym membership or changing my "home location" so that i can start going to the location by my office.

after the move (April 1st) i will also start using my fitness dvd's.

also am looking at getting a hula hoop - cause 1 fun! 2 - lot of tummy movements, equal smaller tummy!

I will also make sure that our groceries are healthier - include more veggies and fruit, fewer processed sugars.

MUFFIN TOPS ONLY BELONG ON MUFFINS!!!

(you just have to give me about 2 weeks to get started)
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I have come to conclusion that it's not the overall way I eat in general that is the problem.

It's the "moments".

I just had one, although I thought of this thread and resisted the effects of "the moment." In this case, the moment was throwing away my kid's leftover french fries instead of eating them. Not a whole lot of fries...but that's what I mean. You tell yourself "it's just a few." Then several "just a fews" later, you've gained a pound you don't notice.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Next thing you know, you're buying new jeans because you can't get your ass into your old ones.

See, that's how moms get their weight out of control. It's the "just a few fries", "just a few chips", "just one slice" moments.

French fries in garbage today. Egg salad for lunch instead of the husband's leftover pizza.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        That is about 5 months away. No way you are walking it. Not only will you run it, you will run it a better time than you thought possible. Having never run or seen a 14km run, I have no idea what kind of time that would be, but damn it, you're gonna do it.
        Thank you for your confidence in me I have considered the jogging/walking option for the race. My trainer at the gym is working with me and if she thinks I can do it, I will. My current obstacle is learning to breathe correctly. Years of being a swimmer as well as playing flute and singing means I have forgotten how to breathe shallow. This can cause issues when I train. But we are working on them.
        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

My goal for September first is to be able to bike from the Valley Green Inn to the Art Museum and back. That's about 18 miles.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Confession #1: Yesterday I did fuck all. But I knew that would happen, as Saturday, after the sprint biathlon, I did a bar crawl, and got wrecked. So yesterday was a recovery day, a calm before the storm if you will. Because today, Monday, I was going to the gym, damn it!

Confession #2: I did not go to the gym today. I got out of work, saw that there was still plenty of light before sunset, and said, "Fuck the gym--I'm getting out on my bike!" And did a hard 12 miles or so before the sun finally vanished over the horizon. See, part of this whole thing is that I love to ride. So when I have the option to get on my bike, you better fucking believe I am going to choose that option.

I didn't wuss out today. I just chose another way to train, one that is more along the path I have chose anyway. I will be hitting the gym. Today I just got in the saddle instead. But I definitely didn't sit on my ass doing nothing. Fuck that shit.

(NOTE: I won't ride after dark in this town for two reasons. One is the drivers. Some are crazy, some are drunk, some are incompetent, some aren't paying attention, some are distracted, and some are a combination of all of the above. Add dark to that, and you can kiss me and my bike goodbye, thank you very much. The other reason is that in Key West it is illegal to ride a bike at night without a headlight and taillight of some sort. So why don't I just go get such lights? See Reason #1 above.)

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            why do I get the feeling I'm invisible, and that no one read the article I linked to?
            I kind of skipped over the link, to be honest. My bad. But I just read the article, and realized a lot about myself.

I tend to work out with negative energy, saying negative things. While that is great when you are trying to unleash anger, it's not so good when you are just out to train and get better. Rather than castigating myself with "Come on, you fucker, MOVE!" or "You fucking wuss, get going!", I would probably be better off with, "Come on, Jester, you can do it!" or other equally positive things. It won't eliminate the yelling and grunting (I have scared a few people on my bike), but I do need to channel my energies more positively.

This does not mean I am going to stop saying "Fuck this shit!" That is the motivation TO train, my friends. It's just not what we should be saying DURING training, if that makes sense. Gonna have to reprogram my mind, and that's a lot of screw wiring in there to deal with.

Now, initially when you said people were ignoring the article, I thought you meant the link in your signature....and I often just automatically overlook signatures. But I went and read it, and must say, I'm impressed. Is this your first ride this long?

The ride is the easy part, I'm asking you guys to help me with the hard part-thank you!
            Because if it is, you're gonna find out that the ride is not, in fact, the easy part.

I did one of these in '95 in Arizona for MS (though I did 170 miles, 90 and 80, as the second day had an option for an additional 17 mile loop which I just could NOT pass up), and I learned more in those 2 days of riding about bicycling than I had in my 25 years of life prior to it.

Have fun and kick some ass! I will advise you, though, if you have never done this before, do NOT work the next day. I waited tables the day after I completed my ride in '95, and I was thoroughly miserable! It hurt, let me tell you!

I am going to pledge $20 to your fund-raising side of the ride, but ask that you come ask me about it after May 17th, if that's possible. (If not, ask me sooner.) I have a vacation May 12-17, and my financial situation will be a lot clearer and less stressful to me then.

Myself, I am adding another goal to my list for the year, one I have been telling myself that I am going to do for years: the November Smart Ride from Miami to Key West.

Quoth Panacea View Post
            My ultimate goal is to get my weight to the 160-170lb range, which is normal weight for my height.
            Amusingly, that is my current weight range. However, I am 5'8", and for many years was in the low 130's. While that was a little skinny, and I probably should be in the 150-170 range, I do not want to be this weight the way it is distributed currently. I don't care about the number of pounds I'm carrying, you see...it's where the weight is, and why. If I'm 170 and it's because I'm a lean mean fighting machine built of muscle, I'm fine with that. If I'm 170 because I am slowly becoming a Human Pear, well, I think you know what I think about that: Fuck that shit!

Quoth Panacea View Post
            Count me in as a charter member of the Fuck this Shit club
            Welcome! Muffin tops belong only on muffins. Pokój.

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            It's the "moments".

See, that's how moms get their weight out of control. It's the "just a few fries", "just a few chips", "just one slice" moments.
            As part of my regimen, I am trying to give up soda. Several times today, I desperately wanted that sugar water full of empty calories, even if it was just one little cup of Sprite.

Total ounces of soda drank today: 0.0. Fuck that shit! (I did have one shot with a customer, but that sometimes is part of the job, and at least I didn't add to it by having soda on top of it!)

Tomorrow after work: gym or bike!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Oh, just for you folks, some pics of the route I biked today (obviously I didn't take these, as I was riding at sunset, and these are clearly not):

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Confession #1: Yesterday I did fuck all. But I knew that would happen, as Saturday, after the sprint biathlon, I did a bar crawl, and got wrecked. So yesterday was a recovery day, a calm before the storm if you will. Because today, Monday, I was going to the gym, damn it!
                I know the feeling. I haven't been to work out at the dojang since Monday of last week . . . I've been knocked down with a nasty cold that I'm just now getting over. Can't go to class tomorrow . . . have to work. CAN go Wednesday before work . . . gotta hope I will be ready to test Thursday. I do have PT appointment in the morning, and that gives me a bit of a workout, so at least that's something.

Quoth Jester View Post
                Amusingly, that is my current weight range. However, I am 5'8", and for many years was in the low 130's. While that was a little skinny, and I probably should be in the 150-170 range, I do not want to be this weight the way it is distributed currently. I don't care about the number of pounds I'm carrying, you see...it's where the weight is, and why. If I'm 170 and it's because I'm a lean mean fighting machine built of muscle, I'm fine with that. If I'm 170 because I am slowly becoming a Human Pear, well, I think you know what I think about that: Fuck that shit!
                I'm 5'11". My idea weight is between 150-160 or 160-170 depending on the chart I see (for women, of course). My weight has always been central obesity, which is not good for the heart. Because of the way women's slacks are made, it is very hard for me to find pants that will fit me without being unbelievably baggy in the thighs. Fuck that shit!

Quoth Jester View Post
                As part of my regimen, I am trying to give up soda. Several times today, I desperately wanted that sugar water full of empty calories, even if it was just one little cup of Sprite.
                I've gone from drinking soda several times daily (usually with every meal, including breakfast), to drinking one serving two or three times a week. I'm getting used to water.

Quoth Jester View Post
                Tomorrow after work: gym or bike!
                I'm going to have to hit the elliptical tomorrow since I can't go to martial arts class. Still got a bit of a productive cough and stuffy nose, but it is much better than when I got up this morning. Hopefully it will be gone by morning as I am tired of sitting around and anxious to get back to my workout.

I liked your pics of Key West. I've never been there . . . nice scenery. Just curious: what's the busy season for tourists? Winter or summer?
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Generally January to June, but there are special events that bring them in at other times of year, such as Bike Week (September), Fantasy Fest (October), Parrot Head Week (November), the Power Boat Races (November), and New Year's Eve (duh).

And by the way, those are not MY pics of Key West, just some I got off the net. There are much nicer pics of Key West, just not of the actual route I took to go biking. Most don't show the road, but just the beaches, the bars, or the water.

Still A Customer."

Comment

why do I get the feeling I'm invisible, and that no one read the article I linked to?
                    I've been having trouble getting the link to open. Will keep trying - Ahh... there it is

I followed the link in your sig to the charity ride site, but I dont know what name your under to sponsor you? I tried under your screen name, but nothing came up.

Can you PM me so I can donate?
                    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

well, i bought a hula-hoop last night

and apparently my body has forgotten how to do it - but i tried, i kept dropping the damn thing, but i'd pick it back up and keep trying, lasted the first 3 songs on the Gogol Bordello"Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike CD"

and then i had apple slices, cheese, ham, a croissant, and crackers for dinner w/ 100% fruit juice. (a duchess platter, as we call it in my family)

and tonight i'm going to the fair and rodeo, going to see Joan Jett (for the 2nd time ever!) so will be doing LOTS of walking, and then at the actual concert, lots of moving
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I'm in! I've been disgusted by what I see in the mirror for twenty-five years (although looking back now, I had a pretty decent body until pregnancy hit at age 23!). So for the last twelve years (that's when I was last 23), I've been grossly overweight and totally out of shape. Never an athletic person, however, I do want to get into the habit of walking and learn how to ride a bike again so I can go cycling with my boyfriend in the summer (maybe next summer LOL).

I started on the right track, joined a walking group, and I was up to 3-4 miles a day... but then I got a job LOL So I can't walk with my old ladies anymore (it was a senior's walking group - WHAT? I figured I could probably keep up with them!). Thing is, while I was walking, my joints weren't bothering me as much, the muscles around my ankles and knees strengthened considerably, to the point where my joints don't give out anymore. It was awesome! I have no excuse. I have a high-end treadmill in my back room that sees very little use. I need to get off my ass and start seriously working again.

The diet I'm trying to follow is helping as well. I've lost 25 lbs so far, with about 120 more to go (we don't talk about that number... the 25 is the number we talk about, because it's a GOOD number)

I will never be a runner - I have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis in all my joints, and it would damage the cartilage too much. But I can walk, I can swim, and eventually I will be able to cycle. My mom says I learned to swim long before I could walk. I have a world of possibilities open to me, and I'm missing out on so much by being obese and not being able to engage in physical activity with my kids. Time to get the lead out and shape up

Thanks for the inspiration, Jester!

Incidentally, dailymile.com is a great way to keep track of your progress online (it even posts to your FB account if you want it to). I've done 87 miles since I started keeping track back in October!
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

*peeks in* Can I join too? I have, admittedly, been seriously slacking off on my whole "Get off my ass and work out more and drop 30 lbs so I look good in a dress for my sister's wedding" thing. And I've discovered what my problem is. x.x; It's the 'getting off of my ass' part.

I'd love to say that it's because my schedule this semester prevents me from hitting the rec center, but I *have* exercise equipment at home. Hell, my dad rigged up a harness on our treadmill so I can use the damn thing. I could also say that I have no time at home to do it either, but that's bullshit too. I'm at school 3 days a week, only two of which have me there later than noon. I'm off on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Friday I only have my morning class. Getting properly motivated to fix it, though, has been a challenge for some reason that I cannot explain.

Lately, my hips and my knees have been hurting, my stomach is more upset than usual, and I just...kinda don't like myself. e.e I'm going to admit that now and be done with it. I don't like myself and how things are going for me healthwise. And, quite frankly, I don't like the fact that I don't like myself. e.e I'm sick of my self-esteem problems.

Thus, I am, as of now, going to endeavor to change things. I *will* go back to being less than 100lbs, I *will* be able to fit into my dream dress for my sister's wedding, and I *will* be able to fit into a freakin' CATS costume in time for Megacon next year. Most importantly, I'm going to get rid of this freakin' constant aching in my legs. Pain is not good.
                          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                            ...going to see Joan Jett (for the 2nd time ever!)...
                            Never seen Joan Jett. Much hatred towards you for this.

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                            So, I'm starting by going to the doctor.
                            Excellent idea. Remember, kids, I am not a medical professional, nutritionist, dietician, or anything else in the health care field. I am a bartender, magician, and sometimes even a DJ. The regimen I am going about is for myself and myself alone.

Now, I am not obese, I am not even technically overweight, just getting thicker in the middle than I've ever been, and more out of shape than I've ever been as well.

However, if you are more than a few pounds overweight or obese, please, while we encourage you to join us, it is a good idea to seek professional advice for the best way to go about this healthily! After all, the whole idea here is to get back in better shape, and thus better health. So if you have any doubts, see your doctor, or a dietician, or a nutritionist, or a personal trainer. After all, as I've said many times, I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm a fucking idiot.

Once we get my breathing under control and get the results of my blood tests back then I get to work together with my doctor to figure out a plan of action for getting me back into better health. And by health I mean the whole picture - weight, fitness, everything.
                            Excellent beginning!

My goal is that by my 39th b-day this October that I will drop at least 30lbs. It may seem like I'm shooting low but for me that seems a realistic goal at this point. It will drop me back below 200lbs, which is my aim at this point. I also know that once I make a regular habit of exercise and eating sensibly that it will be easier to keep on track.

By my 40th birthday next year I hope to be down to about 150-160lbs, which for me will be the lowest I've weighed in close to twenty years. My fingers are crossed!
                            Excellent plan of action. Losing weight TOO fast can be very unhealthy, and it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into how you are going to attack this. Good for you! I know I keep yelling "Fuck this shit," but honestly, it is better to do this safely and in a healthy manner than just charging in willy-nilly, especially if you are more than a little overweight.

After all, nothing wrong with being pissed and smart! Right?

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                            I'm in!
                            Welcome! Fuck this shit! And remember, muffin tops belong only on muffins. Malu.

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                            I have no excuse. I have a high-end treadmill in my back room that sees very little use. I need to get off my ass and start seriously working again.
                            No more excuses! Fire up that treadmill and get going!

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                            The diet I'm trying to follow is helping as well. I've lost 25 lbs so far, with about 120 more to go (we don't talk about that number... the 25 is the number we talk about, because it's a GOOD number)
                            One pound at a time, darlin'. One pound at a time.

Myself, I won't be focusing on my weight per se. I don't care about the number of pounds I have....it's where the pounds are. So I am going to be working on losing the semi-pregnant tummy I have going on, and once that's gone, on building muscle. To be honest, at my height and build, anything between 150-170 should be great. While that is about what I weigh now, it's in all the wrong places.

So rather than checking the scale, I'll be checking the mirror.

But I urge each of you to do what's best for you. For me, it's mirror over scale.

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                            Thanks for the inspiration, Jester!
                            No problem!

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                            *peeks in* Can I join too?
                            Fuck yes! Get your butt in here! Welcome! And remember, muffin tops belong only on muffins. Malu.

And I've discovered what my problem is. x.x; It's the 'getting off of my ass' part.
                            Alrighty then. Get off your ass! Move it! Let's go! Hut hut hut! Double time, lady!

Thus, I am, as of now, going to endeavor to change things.
                            That's the spirit!

I *will* go back to being less than 100lbs...
                            As I said above, make sure whatever you are doing is healthy. For most people, being under 100 pounds is definitely NOT healthy. There are exceptions, of course, such as some of our tinier friends (my little sister for years was under 100 and perfectly healthy...of course, she's 4'11"). So please, and I can't say this enough, make sure what you are shooting for and what you are doing is healthy. I will NOT be a party to anyone using my motivation to achieve an unhealthy weight loss.

(Firecat, the above is directed at everyone, not just you. I have no idea how tall you are or what your body type is, so you may well be one of the few that under 100 is healthy. But please, make sure that is the case.)

I'm going to get rid of this freakin' constant aching in my legs. Pain is not good.
                            Pain is good when it produces results, i.e., working out to get healthier. Constant pain because of being unhealthy is, of course, not. So, bring on the pain, to get rid of the pain! (Hope that made as much sense to you as it did to me...)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Another day of staying on wagon as far as diet goes. I feel pretty good! Probably carb crash in a day or so, but that's a good thing not a bad thing.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                As I said above, make sure whatever you are doing is healthy. For most people, being under 100 pounds is definitely NOT healthy. There are exceptions, of course, such as some of our tinier friends (my little sister for years was under 100 and perfectly healthy...of course, she's 4'11"). So please, and I can't say this enough, make sure what you are shooting for and what you are doing is healthy. I will NOT be a party to anyone using my motivation to achieve an unhealthy weight loss.

(Firecat, the above is directed at everyone, not just you. I have no idea how tall you are or what your body type is, so you may well be one of the few that under 100 is healthy. But please, make sure that is the case.)
                                Yeah, I'm somewhere between 4'2" and 4'5, so '100 or under' is where I need to be. As of the last time I was weighed, I was 115. Ideally, I should be....I'm not sure. Somewhere between 88 and 93, I think.

Quoth Jester View Post
                                Pain is good when it produces results, i.e., working out to get healthier. Constant pain because of being unhealthy is, of course, not. So, bring on the pain, to get rid of the pain! (Hope that made as much sense to you as it did to me...)
                                It makes perfect sense. I like the way you think.
                                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
                                X