This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Father's Day Letter

On this Father's Day, we all feel it appropriate to call or greet our fathers, stepfathers, and friends who are fathers. And I have at least three calls to make, if not more, including one to my stepfather, who is truly an awesome guy. But the one man most on my mind on this holiday is one I cannot call, as he exited stage left 30 years ago: my father. But just because I can't pick up a phone and call him doesn't mean I can't share a few thoughts with him. Thoughts of an adult that I was never able to convey to him as the child I was during his life, but am able to do so now.

Dad,

First of all, thanks for the sense of humor. It has served me well, and is generally one of the main things people remember about me. Maybe not always in the best way (I am the King of Sarcasm, after all), but they do remember it. And it may tickle you to know that I have never taken a woman home that I did not first make laugh. And frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Also, thanks for the ability with words. You were a writer before I could even pick up a pen, and I consider myself blessed to have inherited some small amount of your immense talent with the written word. I seem to have developed a bit of a knack with the spoken word as well, but seeing as you were an ad man and a salesman for so many years, I don't think that just popped up out of nowhere, either. So thanks for that as well.

Now, about the face....yeah. I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you for that, but it seems to fit me, so we'll go with thanks. And at least I know that any woman interested in me is interested in ME, not just with being in some hunky eye candy guy. So that has taught me humility, as well as true appreciation for anything I have gotten, as I know I didn't get any of it from my looks. So, before this becomes completely insulting, thanks. (And I know you know what I'm trying to say, even if I'm not quite getting it right. What was that earlier about a way with words again?)

Also thanks for the morals and ethics. You never handed us anything, but taught us the value of earning something ourselves, whether it was our allowance or, later in life, our cars. And I'd like to pass along a thank you from my coworkers and managers over the years, because my work ethic comes directly from you and Mom. And my employers have appreciated that a lot. As have I.

I am not fully able to express all that I am thinking, but in short, thank you for being not only my father, but more importantly, my Dad. I've had to make my way in this world without your guidance the last 30 years, but I've never forgotten your example and your lessons. And for that there can never be enough words of thanks.

By the way, I know you'd be happy to know that the giraffe still watches over your children...although none of us have a fire escape for him to live on.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

Your only son.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Awesome, Jester.

I'm in tears. I lost mine nearly two years ago. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him. It still seems so unreal to me sometimes.

Comment

Working...
    X