This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not my day :(

I work in a clothing/home decor store situated within a large garden centre.

Thankfully it's my day off tomorrow because I think I need it after the day I've had. Usually this shop doesn't attract sucky customers. Today I got two lots :/

suck 1)

A woman and a daughter approached the till. As soon as I'd hit sub-total the woman was already punching her pin into the card machine. I told her to please wait, but she ignored me. By the time I'd processed the transaction as card, only her last digit registered. It came up that the card had been declined, and she picked up on this as well because she got snippy and demanded to know why her card had been declined. I didn't actually have time to answer her because she then started ranting about the stupid buttons on the card readers and how they always end up messing up her pin. Basically, she blamed the pin pad having rubber buttons and that they were hard to press. When the REAL problem is she is too bloody IMPATIENT and enters her pin before the cashier can run it as a card transaction!

Her stupid daughter had her arms folded and was giving me daggers the whole time. It only seemed to annoy her more when her mother was too busy ranting and raving at me about the 'evil card machines' and the transaction voided itself off because it had been left idle. So I had to scan the stuff through again. Cue lots of sighing and moans. "How long is this going to take?" "We don't have all day" "Blah blah BLAH!"

The final straw? The woman's parting gift to me was this: "These kinds of card readers should be banned!" So I replied with, "I'm sorry, I think it was because you entered your pin too early, that's all."

She said "Oh" and walked off with her daughter. Hopefully she will listen to my parting gift back to her and give future cashiers a break by being a little bit more patient!

Suck 2)

Two edlerly ladies came up to me wanting to a refund, but they also wanted to buy two more things. I'm still learning, but I had been shown how to do this particular kind of transaction and I wanted to see if I could do it on my own. Because how else can I learn if I rely on my superiors to do it for me all the time? BIG mistake. One of them was extremely impatient! It's not an easy process. There's offers on one day and off the next, so there's a lot of receipt reading to be done, a lot of fiddly till procedures to go through and blah blah blah. Then one of the ladies (basically, one was, well, timid and withdrawn, the other one was like a lioness going through some extreme PMT) caused me to get flustered and I made a mistake! So I had to void everything and start again! Oh boy...

Basically the impatient one said to me: they were old, it's not nice to keep them standing like this. I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Their backs hurt and it's all my fault (basically, the one woman was talking for both of them even though the other woman looked really embarrassed). I obviously get confused really easily, so I shouldn't be allowed on a till. And this went on and on and on and on. So in the end I just apologised and told her I was going to get a supervisor. But apparently that was the wrong thing to say because now they were going to have to wait even longer while I 'swanned off to get someone who knows what they're doing'. Off I went. I was gone twenty seconds at most. The supervisor was right behind me.

"About time!" the lady said.

The supervisor took care of the transaction and the old woman complained to her and told her that I'd made them wait twenty minutes *cough*itwasfive*cough*

I stood back and bagged their things up for them, and said I was really sorry but I was ignored. Oh well. In the end, I told them that perhaps they should have a sit in the restaurant and have a cup of tea. It was a bit of a silly thing to say I know, but I wanted to try and be nice and everything, and try and rectify the situation. But the woman just completely ignored me like I didn't even exist.
    Last edited by Evannah; 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM.

Nasty old bats. Don't let it bother you anymore, they were just unpleasant old biddies with nothing better to do than snark at you.

I really, really, really hate crabby people. Even though I've been pretty crabby myself lately....but I haven't snapped at any cashiers or other retail people because, y'know, it's not their fault I'm in a bad mood. Funny how that works
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Evannah, consider my timeless words of advice when dealing with idiots, impatient people, crabby people, annoying people, rude people, jerks, assholes, fuckwads, dickheads, douchenozzles, and just plainer old miserable fuckers:

Fuck 'em.

That is all.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Evannah, consider my timeless words of advice when dealing with idiots, impatient people, crabby people, annoying people, rude people, jerks, assholes, fuckwads, dickheads, douchenozzles, and just plainer old miserable fuckers:

Fuck 'em.

That is all.
        Thank you I will keep that in mind

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Fuck 'em.

That is all.
          Thank god I swolled my Dr Pepper before reading that Jester, otherwise we'd have a Rule 1 violation
          How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Fuck 'em.
            ... with a meth'd up elephant on a pogo stick ...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
              I work in a clothing/home decor store situated within a large garden centre.
              I've seen this phrase (or something similar) in several posts recently.

Apparently "garden center" means something *very* different in the UK than it does in the US.

Here, a garden center is a section of a large store that is where all the gardening related items are.

From your usage I'd guess that in the UK it is what we might call a shopping center or mini-mall.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                Apparently "garden center" means something *very* different in the UK than it does in the US.
                I was wondering about this. It didn't make any sense to me that a clothing/home decor store would be in the middle of a place that sells gardening related items.
                Last edited by EricKei; 04-19-2014, 05:51 PM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                  A garden centre over here is like a shopping centre that caters to mostly gardening stuff. They sell plants, sheds, garden furniture, but also ornaments and trinkety stuff, as well as rabbits, birds and other creatures. And there's an aquarium too. They also have concessions, which is basically what my shop is. We more-or-less rent a little bit of the garden centre. Ours also has a restaurant.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 04-19-2014, 05:51 PM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post

A garden centre over here is like a shopping centre that caters to mostly gardening stuff. They sell plants, sheds, garden furniture, but also ornaments and trinkety stuff, as well as rabbits, birds and other creatures. And there's an aquarium too. They also have concessions, which is basically what my shop is. We more-or-less rent a little bit of the garden centre. Ours also has a restaurant.
                    Exact. They're like kooky semi-outdoor department stores. There are loooooads up where me mam and dad live, and their favourite has a hot tub-spa seller bit, and animatronic dinosaurs. ^_^
                    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                      Exact. They're like kooky semi-outdoor department stores. There are loooooads up where me mam and dad live, and their favourite has a hot tub-spa seller bit, and animatronic dinosaurs. ^_^
                      The one I work in used to sell hot-tubs but now there's a motorized scooter shop in the place they used to be. We also have a shoe shop, a market/farm food shop and a dog agility park out the back. We also have mazes to the left of the car park and a small nature reserve with pigs and goats roaming about in it. We don't have animatronic dinosaurs though lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X