This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Cecily View Post
    I didn't get the tiler joke I never got US history since I'm on the Canuck side of the border.
    Here you go.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Thanks! The things you learn on this site...
      It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

FWIW: William Henry Harrison has the dubious honor of being the shortest-tenured US President, lasting a mere 32 days before dying of pneumonia.

He's most famous for basically dying and setting the standard for the VP stepping up when a sitting President kicks the bucket, since the Constitution was very vague on the matter and prior to him, it had never happened before. The Founding Fathers apparently believed that having the office of President up for grabs every 4 years meant they'd never have to plan for a succession contingency.

As it turns out, no fewer than eight Presidents expired before their terms, and 4 of them were shot.

So much for that wishful thinking.......
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          FWIW: William Henry Harrison has the dubious honor of being the shortest-tenured US President, lasting a mere 32 days before dying of pneumonia.
          There's Tyler / There's Taylor / There's Fillmore / And there's Hayes / There's William Henry Harrison / "I died in thirty days!"

Comment

As it turns out, no fewer than eight Presidents expired before their terms, and 4 of them were shot.

So much for that wishful thinking.......
            And people say Australians are careless when all we did was lose one!
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
              And people say Australians are careless when all we did was lose one!
              It gets better, an additional four SURVIVED legitimate and serious assassination attempts, with one surviving being actually shot (Reagan) and three having people get uncomfortably close to them with guns before being stopped (Jackson, Truman, Ford)

Jackson's notable for the fact that there was no secret service in his day, and when his assassin attacked him with a pistol, Jackson pulled out his cane and nearly beat the guy to death before his aides restrained him. They didn't call him "Old Hickory" for nothing.

Comment

It gets better, an additional four SURVIVED legitimate and serious assassination attempts, with one surviving being actually shot (Reagan) and three having people get uncomfortably close to them with guns before being stopped (Jackson, Truman, Ford)

Jackson's notable for the fact that there was no secret service in his day, and when his assassin attacked him with a pistol, Jackson pulled out his cane and nearly beat the guy to death before his aides restrained him. They didn't call him "Old Hickory" for nothing.
                With a nickname like that are you sure it was a 'cane' he pulled out?
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I believe Teddy Roosevelt also got shot. He not only survived, he finished the speech he was giving!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    I believe Teddy Roosevelt also got shot. He not only survived, he finished the speech he was giving!
                    Indeed. But, at the time of his shooting, he was not President, having finished his term.

He was running for Pres. again, as a 3rd party candidate (because he was thoroughly disappointed with how his successor, Taft, was running things) when he was shot en route to a campaign rally. He gave his speech, showed off the wound to the crowd, and only then sought medical treatment, wherin the doctors advised him to just leave it alone since the bullet didn't hit anything vital. He went on to finish second in the election, he didn't win the office, but he did successfully knock Taft out of the race.

Comment

"I'm as fit as a Bull Moose!"
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Andrew Jackson was badass. This was a man who dueled people on the White House lawn, and at one point volunteered the first shot to the man he was dueling with. He was shot by Charles Dickinson, spat and declared "Not enough gun," and then it was boom, headshot.*

* Events embellished slightly. Dickinson bled out from a chest shot.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Indeed. But, at the time of his shooting, he was not President, having finished his term.

He was running for Pres. again, as a 3rd party candidate (because he was thoroughly disappointed with how his successor, Taft, was running things) when he was shot en route to a campaign rally. He gave his speech, showed off the wound to the crowd, and only then sought medical treatment, wherin the doctors advised him to just leave it alone since the bullet didn't hit anything vital. He went on to finish second in the election, he didn't win the office, but he did successfully knock Taft out of the race.
                          More stuff I didn't know. Very cool. And more proof that TR was a righteous badass. I dare say he may have been the biggest badass to ever be President, the story of Andrew Jackson notwithstanding.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            More stuff I didn't know. Very cool. And more proof that TR was a righteous badass. I dare say he may have been the biggest badass to ever be President, the story of Andrew Jackson notwithstanding.
                            Cracked certainly agrees. In their list of the 5 Most Badass Presidents of All-Time that I linked earlier, Andrew Jackson is only number five. Behind JFK, John Quincy Adams, and in the second-place slot? George Washington.

Teddy got #1, of course. One of the displays of badassery they listed was, in response to letters from cavalrymen complaining about riding 25 miles per day for training, our Bull Moose rode 100 miles in a day, sunrise to sunset, at 51 years old. (That's like an eighty-year-old man doing the same thing today.)

In fact, when giving that speech when he'd been shot? His first words, before going into the speech were "Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."

Bad. Ass.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

George Washington doesn't surprise me. He was a badass. JQA, however, is a bit surprising. I'd be interested to see why they gave him one of the top five slots.

I'd also be very interested to see who the least badass presidents were, i.e., the five biggest pansies that were elected to the top office. At least as far as Cracked's staff believes were the biggest pansies. Pretty sure Benjamin Harrison would make the list. After that, not overly sure.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                I'd also be very interested to see who the least badass presidents were, i.e., the five biggest pansies that were elected to the top office. At least as far as Cracked's staff believes were the biggest pansies. Pretty sure Benjamin Harrison would make the list. After that, not overly sure.
                                Cracked also had a list of presidents who were badasses in their youth. One name on that list might surprise a lot of people - he led a team that isolated and cleaned up a radiation leak, with a 90 second allowable time at the front (for each trip in). I'll let you guys read the list for yourselves, but the nature of his badassery pretty much trims the list down to post-WW2 presidents.
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X