Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The nerve of this man still stuns me to this day.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nerve of this man still stuns me to this day.

So I was sitting here thinking about some more of the stories I would like to tell you guys from my decade in retail and I just thought of one that happened to me a few years ago when I was working part-time at a well-known video store chain (no, not Blockbuster, this one is still in business).

Thinking about it even now still boils my blood. It all came rushing back when I remembered it. The hate and anger I felt toward this man just still makes my stomach churn to this day. This is a tale of jaw-dropping rudeness and self-entitlement, so beware.

So one day I was working at the video store, happily going about my business. I was working with one of the managers in training, and it was just the two of us on a Friday evening. It was pretty slow most of the afternoon, but of course just as my manager went outside to take a smoke break, it started picking up. I suddenly had a ton of people in my store and a line at the register. So I was trying to get people checked out as quickly as possible and keep everyone happy because people were starting to look irritated and my manager was of course taking forever and hadn't taken her cell phone with her.

I have a huge line at the register, I'm working as quickly as I can, and while I'm in the middle of ringing someone out, the phone rings. So I answer it politely and ask if they could please hold a moment. The man on the other end just goes, "Fine." I go back to ringing my customer out, and then more keep flooding up and admittedly I totally forgot about the person on hold. Usually if it's been more than ten seconds of waiting the person will hang up and try again later, but NOT THIS TIME. NO. It was my fault for forgetting about him, but customers in the store take immediate precedence over customers on the phone, and I think this is pretty true for any retailer that is not a place like Wal-Mart or Target with people to answer the phone and take care of things. I'm one tiny girl in a store by myself trying to keep everyone from killing each other at the register!

So I could barely even look up from the line because more people just keep coming up and all I can do is literally just keep ringing. Then suddenly, it must have been a half an hour of me ringing nonstop, this guy steps up to the register on his cell phone. I look up and ask him for his phone number to pull up his account, and then I realize he doesn't have any movies in his hand. He's still standing there on the phone and he says, I SH*T YOU NOT, "So what is my compensation going to be?" I

was like, "What?" Then he says, "Pick up your phone." I glance at the handset that is still blinking on hold, and pick it up. Then he tells me through the phone what his phone number is. I noped the hell out and slipped out, "You have got to be kidding me right now." I was in awe. Instead of hanging up and calling back later like most other people, he literally got in his car, still on hold, drove all the way up here, still on hold, and stood in line, still on hold, just to prove a point, and of course, demand compensation for being on hold for so long.

I just stared at him, speechless. I said, "You have GOT to be kidding me." Then I lost it. I had been working a lot and was burned out with rude people and admittedly this one just took the cake and sent me over the edge. I lost my normally professional and friendly demeanor (very rare for me) because I was so taken aback, and I said, "Wait so let me get this straight. You drove all the way up here on hold just to be a jerk to me and try to get a free movie."

And he replies, "I want a movie for free. I've been on hold for over 30 minutes." He literally ended the call and showed me his phone screen. "I think I deserve some COMPENSATION for this."

So I started to try to calm down even though I was fuming, and I said, "Sir I am sorry you were on hold for so long, but as YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE, it's extremely busy in here and I am the only employee. Customers in the store take precedence over customers on the phone. But I am very sorry that I neglected to get back with you and accidentally left you on hold for so long. It was not my intention to do that on purpose."

So he goes, "I was calling to see if you had any more of (Blank Movie) in stock. I think you should give it to me for free since I waited on hold for so long."

Now mind you, of course we do not have any more of this movie in stock because it was a brand-new release and we had literally zero of them on the shelves. I told him, (Blank Movie) is all rented out. We have none left. There are no more of these that physically exist. So naturally he got mad at this and just repeated, "You need to find me that movie or give me a free rental." Oh, I need? Okay. A line was still almost out the door behind him and my frickin' manager wasn't even back yet. I could see people getting mad at him so I said, "You are more than welcome to go pick out another movie and I will give it to you for free this time. I have to help other people now who are actually paying and ready to check out." He actually had expected me to go find him another movie to rent for free while he waited at the register. No.

So he got all pissy at this and I was like, "That is your only option. Or no free movie at all." I stepped over to the second register and told the next person I would help them. He just kept standing there in shock that I would dare defy him, the almighty video store customer. Finally he slunk away and got back in line with a movie. He wordlessly handed it to me and I rented it to him for free. I thought he was just going to leave but he had to add, "You are a stupid woman." My jaw just f@cking hit the floor. I pointed to the door, threw his movies down on the cashwrap and said, "Get out now. Would you allow someone to talk to your daughter or wife that way? You need to leave. I would have gladly helped you and given you a free credit had you not been so grossly overdramatic and rude but you wanted to be the big tough guy and prove a point. Enjoy your free movie, dick."

This got applause from the entire line of people who by now had witnessed what he said and another guy yelled out, "You want me to kick him out for you?" The man grabbed his DVD and hustled out the door really quick. I waited till he left and then burst into tears. One of the ladies in line handed me a tissue and came around the side of the cashwrap to hug me. She said, "Some people are just self-entitled and want something for free and I am sorry he insulted you." Then my manager came waltzing back in looking surprised and bewildered. I just looked at her and said, "I am going on my break now, you can deal with all of this."

The audacity of that man still amazes me to this day!

Your manager was on a "smoke break" for over a HALF-HOUR when you were the only other employee and it was obviously busy?! That would have pissed me off more than the phone jerk.

Comment

I think you handled it BEAUTIFULLY under the circumstances; just the right amount of pwnage without giving him much he could complain about, and sounds like you had the back-up of the customers!

So how long did that manager in training stay a manager?
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        Your manager was on a "smoke break" for over a HALF-HOUR when you were the only other employee and it was obviously busy?! That would have pissed me off more than the phone jerk.
        ^This. WTH!?
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Wow. An EW customer AND an EW manager. Because, yeah, a 30 MINUTE SMOKE BREAK?? WTF?

And that guy was an ass. If he had the time go drive all the way over just to get in your face about being on hold, then he should've just come over in the first place. Dumbass.

Sure, normally you wouldn't talk to a customer that way, but when you're the only employee actually working and it's extremely busy, the last thing you need is somebody trying to pull the "I deserve compensation wah wah wah" card. Dude, it's a DVD. Get over it.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The cynic in me thinks the manager's "smoke break" was an excuse to answer a booty call or something, and the smoking came after.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'm still waiting for the answer to LillFilly's question....

Comment

Oh yeah I was livid by the time she walked in the door. She was really strange and not very smart and I was totally amazed that she was an MIT and would soon be running her OWN store. This same girl actually showed up at the store one day at 7 am freaking out because the store was dark and no one was there thinking that it was 7 pm for her 7 pm-midnight shift. She was just totally out there and had no track of time and was really ditzy. Still no excuse for a an almost 45 minute smoke break!

I am not sure how long she was an MIT or how long she was a store manager, or if she still is (probably not) because I left shortly after that (unrelated an on good terms). But yeah, this guy was ridiculous. If he had to drive up there anyway, what was the point of being a dick to the person working at the store when it's very obviously insanely busy. But he was one of those people whom you could tell would just be like, "It's not my problem, they should have had more people working!" or something equally ridiculous. My thought is that he took the TIME to think, "How can I be a huge nomumental prick right now?" I mean, what normal person has that reaction to being left on hold "too long"? On my part it was truly an accident. I don't think any customer should get away with acting like that. I was scared he was going to call corporate after I shut him down but he never did. Everyone backed me up though which was awesome.

But yeah even years later just thinking about it makes me so mad. I'm mad that I had to give him a free movie - the store policy dictated that if a customer wanted something for free like rental wise, they would get it. No questions asked. If they didn't want to pay their late fees they didn't have to either. I think some of you can probably deduce which chain I'm talking about that is actually currently still in business. They take "customer is always right" to a whole new level because they can't afford to lose business. So if the customer disputed anything you said you automatically were required by company policy to give it to them. The ONLY rule we had about ANYTHING was that brand-new game rentals required a refundable $20 deposit. That was literally the only rule.

So yeah you, you can definitely imagine how people took advantage of EVERYTHING there. I liked working there because of my co-workers but I only worked like one day a week so it wasn't worth it to continue staying there - I got some other opportunities at the time!

Comment

There is nothing like that feeling of going home with the crushing sensation of being
                  forced on the spot by a horrid customer to GIVE IN to their demand. So disgusting.
                  Like a part of you was stolen. Used. That shaking rage at home when you replay it
                  in your head. But just a few keystrokes and a cocktail and CS.com soothes it away.......

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
                    There is nothing like that feeling of going home with the crushing sensation of being
                    forced on the spot by a horrid customer to GIVE IN to their demand. So disgusting.
                    Like a part of you was stolen. Used. That shaking rage at home when you replay it
                    in your head. But just a few keystrokes and a cocktail and CS.com soothes it away.......
                    or a dozen...

depending on the SC encounter, of course
                    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

What a monumental jerk! I'm surprised you managed to remain as calm as you did, I would have lost it long before that. And taking a 30 minute smoke break is crazy! I might have told the manager I was taking a 30 minute stress break.

Comment

Wow I'm fuming just reading this! That's crazy! Did he really not notice how busy you were when he waltzed in?! Oh yeah I forgot: entitled people don't see anyone else around them because they are the only ones who are actually important and the whole wide world revolves around them.

I'm glad you lost your cool with him. Sometimes you have to! WHAT A JERK!

Comment

Holy shit. to you AND to the other customers, and a for the manager and the douchenozzle.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I don't believe there are any chain movie rental stores where I live. Blockbuster and Hollywood shut down. All the mom and pops shut down locally. Redbox is the only company with physical locations. I've reached a point that if I don't want to see it in the theater (blockbusters that look good on a big screen), I wait for cable. However, I did buy the Veronica Mars movie on pay per view. There wasn't a theater very close showing it and I had to find out what happened to LoVe.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Hope your manager had an equally fun time when you went for break ...

Comment

Working...
                              X