This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Beers and Bums Inspired Music!

So a few weeks ago I made a football bet with a coworker, and the team I bet on won. Meaning that my coworker owed me a twelve-pack of Pacifico beer. (For those interested, if I had lost, I would have owed him a twelve-pack of Samuel Adams Octoberfest.)

Well, yesterday he finally got around to delivering said twelve-pack. (I knew he would eventually, and wasn't worried about him delivering it, but of course the longer it took him, the more I got to give him grief!) After I finished with work, I grabbed my backpack and my shiny new twelve-pack, and started the several block walk from The Bar to my truck, as parking in downtown Key West is challenging, and parking anywhere near my bar is bordering on impossible. (I typically park 4-6 blocks away.)

Just after I passed the harbor, a young, semi-unkempt fellow carrying a guitar case came down the sidewalk from the other direction. Upon spying my Mexican treasure, he asked, "Hey man, can you spare a Pacifico?" Why no...no I can't. I actually tried to be jovial about it and not slowing my pace at all, said in quite the friendly way, "Sorry man....they're being delivered!" Which was technically true. I was delivering them to my house to put in my fridge to be drunk by me.

Not 30 seconds later, an older, more unkempt fellow came my way, and asked, "Hey man, can I ask you a question?" This is always a bum's prelude to asking you for something, usually money--at least in this town. "Sure," I said, as I kept walking. "Can you spare a quarter--I almost have enough for a beer." While I had a pocket full of change, I told him I had no change. Sure, he looked harmless enough, but to get change from my pocket, I would have had to have set my twelve pack and/or my backpack (with my laptop in it) down, and that was NOT going to happen. Cause, while he didn't know about the laptop, I didn't know what he might try to grab and run, and there was no way I could run after him lugging either one or the other. Not to be deterred, he went on. "Well, how about one of those beers?" Feeling less jovial than the first guy who attempted a Drive By Free Loading, I said, "Nope." And kept walking.

And I was inspired by this double whammy to song. TO SONG, I SAY! TO SONG!

"This free beer is my free beer, not your free beer, I say.
    This free beer is my free beer, not your free beer, hey hey!
    If you want some beer go buy some beer, go to the store and pay.
    This free beer is my free beer, so get the fuck out of my way!"

Sure, it's not my best work, but I came up with the majority of it walking several blocks with a heavy backpack on my back and a twelve pack in my hands.

Okay, so as I typed that all up, I realized two things. First, the ditty I heard in my head when coming up with that song probably doesn't translate from the written word. Secondly, it's NOT my best work, and damnit, I CAN do better. So I sat down for a few minutes just now, and came up with this, which is dedicated to all the able-bodied lazy fucks who think it's perfectly alright to ask me for MY beer that I bought with MY money that I earned at MY job. Or to ask anyone else who works their ass off for stuff they bought with their hard-earned money. My thanks--and apologies--to Dee Snider, as this is to the tune of Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It":

You’re not gonna get it
    No, you’re not gonna get it
    You’re not gonna get my...fucking beer!

I got this beer in a bet and
    There ain’t no way you’ll get it
    This is my beer, this is my prize

I’ll drink these cold cervezas
    You won’t know how great the taste is

Don’t act put off, don’t act surprised.

You’re not gonna get it

You’re pleas are so pathetic
    Your laziness, just epic
    You don’t want no job, not a touch of work
    You want others’ possessions
    Well I have a suggestion
    Go get a job, don’t be a jerk.

Whoa...
    Whoa...
    My twelve/yeah
    My brew/yeah
    My beer/yeah
    Screw you/yeah

You’re not gonna get it

You’re not gonna get it

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I love both versions of your song - now I'l be singing Twisted Sister the rest of the day.

I routinely get hit up by panhandlers waiting for the train home. Even though I may have some change, I never give them any. Finally after some time, the 'regulars' don't even ask. I figure I give up 11-12 hours a day for work/transit, it's my money.
    That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

So... can I have a beer?

Just kidding!

glad you won and ... hey it's yours.

Comment

I realize this would be inappropriate when you're carrying GOOD beer (especially the payoff from a bet), but I'd be VERY surprised if the beggars had either a driver's license or a passport in their possession.

If, at some time when you're carrying CHEAP beer, a beggar asks for a beer, it would be interesting to see his reaction if you asked to see his driver's license or passport. He'd be bound to ask why (probably using profanity), and the correct answer to that (based on your previous posts on CS) would be "Under Florida law, a driver's license or passport is the ONLY ID which is acceptable for proof of age when serving alcohol - and also under Florida law, once a server has requested ID, it is ILLEGAL to serve someone alcohol until the ID showing the person's age to be over 21 is produced".
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wolfie, that would imply that (A) I was working at the time, and (B) they were paying customers, neither of which was the case.

Yes, I know where you were going with this, but knowing my luck, one of those assholes would actually have a valid ID on them. And I'm sorry, but they are STILL not getting MY beer, crappy or good.

You know who gets free beer from me? My friends. Period. And I didn't know either one of these freeloading jackholes.

Still A Customer."

Comment

one of those assholes would actually have a valid ID on them.
            Even starting that conversation could possibly suggest to them that they have a chance to score your beer. Sometimes you really shouldn't have to explain to anyone why you're saying "no".

Plus... most likely they'll stop listening when it gets long and just interrupt with more requests (or demands) that you give it over.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              Sometimes you really shouldn't have to explain to anyone why you're saying "no".
              Or to put it more simply, "No means no!"

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                Sometimes you really shouldn't have to explain to anyone why you're saying "no".
                Quoth Jester View Post
                Or to put it more simply, "No means no!"
                "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means 'no'. " -- Captain Barbossa

Oh, and loved the second song!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                X