Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Philosophical Tomato

In my store, it doesn't help that often the designated express lane is also the handicapped-accessible lane. So you get a legitimately handicapped person (in most cases who can't stand well) behind some entitlement whore with a full cart.

I've always said that we should make the self-scans handbasket only; the belt area isn't large enough to handle a full cart (or even a half-cart if two of those items are value packs of TP).

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Bagger

When I was a chasier, we aren't allowed to enforce the limits either.....one time a lady was in line with a full cart (she hadn't gotten up to the register yet), and the person behind her looked at me and asked about her cart....I told him that unfortunately, I couldn't say anything about it, but that he didn't have any such restrictions. Next thing I know he leaned over, said something quietly, and she took off for a regular lane. I had a good laugh at that one.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

Quote:
Quoth Chromatix View Post
Another reasonable tactic would be to make express lanes basket-only (that is, handheld basket), and make them narrow enough to prevent a trolley getting through.
You would think that, but it doesn't work. My local supermarket is set up just like this, and they get people with carts with 3 baskets crammed inside like this somehow stops them from breaking the rule.

As a customer, whenever I see someone who hasn't already unloaded pull into the baskets lane I always point it out politely yet firmly; it's surprising how many times it works, perhaps less surprising how many times they claim they didn't realise... As if the fact there were no other carts in that line wasn't a hint, but was rather a divine sign to them that this line was intended for them in some special way

Old 11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Drone

I've always wondered WTF is the point of having a 12 items or less lane if it's not at least somewhat enforced? As a customer I hate this! If I have my youngest son with me and I'm behind one of these people I encourage him to practice his counting...out loud...just loud enough for the person to hear. They usually turn and give me the cat butt face but hey, my 4yr old can count to 12, you should be able to too!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

I gotta wonder if, one of these days, you might get someone saying that the limit doesn't apply because of a sign reading "X items or less," rather than "X items or fewer" The former doesn't actually make sense, and seems to be much more common.

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Last edited by EricKei; 11-07-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: fixed a stupid typo in a grammar-nazi post, on principle

Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Computer Wizard

I remember "10 items or less" signs in the mid-1980s (UK), and nobody was in any doubt of what they meant. Back then, of course, cashers did have the power to enforce the limit - though they also had dscretion to waive it.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth freespirit114 View Post
I've always wondered WTF is the point of having a 12 items or less lane if it's not at least somewhat enforced? As a customer I hate this! If I have my youngest son with me and I'm behind one of these people I encourage him to practice his counting...out loud...just loud enough for the person to hear. They usually turn and give me the cat butt face but hey, my 4yr old can count to 12, you should be able to too!
That is classic! I will have to see if I can find any small children nearby when I am at the supermarket and find out if they mothers would like them to practice their counting, too!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Front End Supervisor

Reminds me of the family that, when I told them I could take five items or less, broke up their 30 item order among the 6 people there (three generations shopping together, it'd be sweet if they weren't such assholes) and each bought 5 items. *Headdesk* the whole purpose of the 5 item limit was so I didn't have to ring out *30* items while trying to watch the four extremely glitchy self check machines. Entitled bastards.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth freespirit114 View Post
I've always wondered WTF is the point of having a 12 items or less lane if it's not at least somewhat enforced?
It's to always give corporate a reason not to apply raises. They either get you on the not following rules, not somehow enforcing rules that you aren't allowed to enforce, or on customer service complaints. Doesn't matter the reason, so long as they can point to it as why you don't get more pay.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Store Manager

I'll try to make this story short...like the Express Lane! LOL.

Last week, I was doing my shopping as usual. I only needed a few things, really. I show up at one Express Lane, with a "20 items or less" sign at the register. The cashier is already waiting to scan my items, but I said, "Wait!" and counted through my items rapidly. This took a few seconds, and I said, "I have only SIXTEEN items. That means I'm right under the limit!"

The cashier looked stunned. Her jaw dropping, she said in surprise, "You know how many people I get through here that don't care about how many items they have? I was thinking this sign here was just for show! I haven't had any people like YOU in a while!"

"I understand that!" I grinned. "I used to work Retail."

She smiled real big, glad to see she had a customer of experience, and we chatted for a while about our "Retail Hell" stories. She also said enthusiastically, "Thank you for being so nice and considerate! I don't get a lot of those kinds either."

Glad to see I made someone's weekend!
Closed Thread