Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do not think that means what you think it means.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not think that means what you think it means.

Oh dear god in heaven I am running a high fever right now and I don't need this guy bugging the snot out of me and HE WONT GO AWAY.

Also yall can deal with my weird writing style at the moment. We will call it This Girl Is On Fire style.

So this all starts a couple of weeks ago when he starts sending me tons of emails asking for various quotes. Eventually he states flat out that if I won't give him a design for super cheap, then he'll just hire someone else. Ok, cool deal, have fun.

Well, ok, so he hired someone else...but neither of them know anything about web design, so could I give them detailed advice on how to go about that?

Nope, not for free. Oh, I can go die in a fire. Lovely. Fine.

Yesterday he starts emailing me again, bragging about the awesome design they did, its soooo amazing. Ok, cool, good for you, now please leave me alone.

Well today he asks if I'd like to see the design. Not...particularly. Oh, but I have to see the design. Ok, then show me the design.

...Wow. Its bad. Like, this is not-possible-for-a-website bad. I tell him as much, and explain roughly a few things that are just not doable.

Oh, well, since I'm the big, experienced designer, I obviously am now obligated to redo it, and send it on back, fixed up.

For free.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, he'll pay TEN DOLLARS. Because "its simple Photoshop work".

Buddy, I just told you the DESIGN IS COMPLETELY UNUSABLE. What part of that screams "easy"?

I offered him a timeslot for consultation work, at $75/hr.

I was informed that I could re-toast myself.

That's fine, apparently my body is working on that already hahahaha
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

They say that most human mental problems are the result of deficit in live interaction with other people.

So, just how long HAS this guy been penned up somewhere to get THIS much about the world wrong?!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

So I guess the next time you are asked for your free opinion, you will respond with something evasive like "I never would have thought of doing a design like that."
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Geeze, some people just don't know when to take a hint, do they?

Hey. Idiots. Seraph already told you she doesn't work for free.

No. You can't try to trick her. She's been tricked by experts, and you lot are just pathetic.

As for the fever buggin' Seraph--

Hey. Virus. Or Infection. Whatever the fuck you are.

Leave. Seraph. Alone.

(Yes, I just used that gif again. Deal with it.)
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

If he contacts you again, increase the rates by 50% per day. If he asks why, tell him it's the Asshole Tax. Feel free to explain to him in detail the fact that he came to you first, rejected your bid, went with somebody else, and paid the penalty. Getting into your good graces -- if you're even open to the idea -- will cost him. 100% up front, no refunds. In writing. ^_^
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            If he contacts you again, increase the rates by 50% per day. If he asks why, tell him it's the Asshole Tax. Feel free to explain to him in detail the fact that he came to you first, rejected your bid, went with somebody else, and paid the penalty. Getting into your good graces -- if you're even open to the idea -- will cost him. 100% up front, no refunds. In writing. ^_^
            Personally I'd just block the cheapass and be done with it. He sounds like he's not going away until he gets something for nothing.

Comment

True, but if she's at loose ends for entertainment right at the moment ...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                Personally I'd just block the cheapass and be done with it. He sounds like he's not going away until he gets something for nothing.
                I agree. He's pretty much proven that he's an idiot, a cheapskate and a total pain in the ass. He's not worth your time and effort, especially now that you're sick.

Best wishes for a speedy and thorough recovery!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Dunning-Kruger effect in action.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    So this all starts a couple of weeks ago when he starts sending me tons of emails asking for various quotes. Eventually he states flat out that if I won't give him a design for super cheap, then he'll just hire someone else. Ok, cool deal, have fun.
                    But he's just a small business owner/private individual/on a fixed income. Can't you make a special deal just for him?!

Well, ok, so he hired someone else...but neither of them know anything about web design, so could I give them detailed advice on how to go about that?
                    Brilliant. Hiring someone who doesn't know how to do what you want because you're too cheap to hire someone who does. I like how this guy thinks - I'm going to save a ton of money on medical bills by paying the taco stand guy to be my doctor.

Nope, not for free. Oh, I can go die in a fire. Lovely. Fine.
                    But he's just a small business owner/private individual/on a fixed income. Can't you help him out?!

Yesterday he starts emailing me again, bragging about the awesome design they did, its soooo amazing. Ok, cool, good for you, now please leave me alone.

Well today he asks if I'd like to see the design. Not...particularly. Oh, but I have to see the design. Ok, then show me the design.
                    But don't you want to see the awesomeness that you refused to work on!? This could have been a great portfolio piece for you. You should be jealous of the opportunity lost!

...Wow. Its bad. Like, this is not-possible-for-a-website bad. I tell him as much, and explain roughly a few things that are just not doable.
                    Buzzkill.

Oh, well, since I'm the big, experienced designer, I obviously am now obligated to redo it, and send it on back, fixed up.

For free.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                    What, you don't want to help out your fellow man? And he's been nothing but nice to you, brought you plenty of work offers. Some loyalty.

Just press the magic button.

Buddy, I just told you the DESIGN IS COMPLETELY UNUSABLE. What part of that screams "easy"?

I offered him a timeslot for consultation work, at $75/hr.
                    But he's a small business owner/private individual/on a fixed income?! How could you charge so much, you should be willing to do it for free just to help him out!!

I was informed that I could re-toast myself.
                    I like that one better than DIAF. Go toast yourself... has a nice ring to it.

That's fine, apparently my body is working on that already hahahaha
                    Hope you feel better.

I think this customer gets a 4.3 on the suck-o-meter. Annoying, but at least he didn't start blustering threats or try to hack you. I think having stable work may be enticing normalcy back, ever so slightly. Or it's getting ready for something really bizarre... maybe the next guy will want a website about alien abductions or somesuch. For a hefty discount, of course, but he'll show you where the aliens probed him.

Comment

The website was worse than Geocities bad? Daaaaaamn!
                      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Seraph's story reminds me of something I read on Computer Stupidities.

A guy was asked by his boss to write a program in C.

So the guy sets to work. The boss checks back in on him a week later, asking him what's taking so long.

The programmer says, "Well, I have the program written, I'm debugging!"

The boss then says, "I use FrontPage to do the web pages, and I never have to debug. If you were as good a programmer as me, you wouldn't have to, either!"

FrontPage. A WYSIWYG. I don't even know if they make it any more (the story is several years old).

But still. A lot of folks that ask people like Seraph for quotes don't actually realize the work (and skill) that goes into something like that. When someone like Seraph says that something is "simple", the word "simple" means something entirely different than it does for the layperson making the request.

I don't know that the people realize that good design can be (and often is) expensive.

So, if the person tells Seraph, "It's simple photoshop work", then they probably really don't know what "Simple" in the realm of photoshop means.
                        Last edited by mjr; 07-31-2013, 06:11 PM.
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Wow. Talk about your persistent idiot. Might want to send some of this guy's quotes to For Exposure. They'd probably get a chuckle out of them.
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

"Ten dollars a minute is what I'm charging you the next time you call me."

Comment

It probably would have been best if you had just ignored him and not responded to his messages after he went and hired the nincompoops.

It would have been really good if, when he showed you the design by the nincompoops, you merely said, "That's nice," and gone about your day, in effect dismissing him.

Either of those would have been better. But then the story would not have been so damn funny, so I'm glad you took the route you did!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X