This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grabby 3 year old

My friend decided to stop by the nail salon on Friday to get a mani-pedi before she and I headed to dinner. I was also planning on getting a pedi, but after what happened, I will NEVER go there again. I also ended up not getting any services done because I was instantly turned off by this.

By the time I got to the salon, my friend was already finishing up her pedi and was ready to get her nails done. The woman taking care of her had her 3 year old child playing in the salon as well. I'm not one known for liking or being comfortable around small children.

At the moment I sat down and was chatting with my friend, the little girl was on me like velcro. She actually pulled herself up in my lap and busied herself setting up a portable DVD player to watch a movie. I was so shocked, I kind of just let it happen. For some reason (probably because it had been handled MANY times by a toddler), the player wouldn't work. I tried to get the kid to slide down from my lap and in return she promptly stuck her hand down my shirt. Then she tried to grab my glasses.

My friend could see the look on my face and told the girl's mother that I wasn't comfortable around children and asked her to leave me alone.

The mother did tell her to get off my lap, but that did NOT stop the girl from trying to get back on. Nor did it stop her from attempting the chest grab again or prodding, pulling, touching, and pinching me.

That was the longest hour of my life. Normally I wouldn't have put up with it and I tried to fend her off, but she just kept coming back for more. I should have just left and met my friend at the restaurant now that I think about it.

Wow. In general, your children don't belong at work with you. Yes, exceptions can be made at times, especially when the kids in question can sit quietly in a corner and amuse themselves. But to not only have your child at work, but allow (and telling a child something and not enforcing it IS allowing it) them to climb on the customers? That's way beyond proper boundaries.

I would call up and speak to the owner of the shop, let her know her staff is losing her customers. I love kids, and would probably talk to one a few minutes in that situation, but to have them climb all over me grabbing? Nope, no way.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The problem was... the mom WAS the owner, I think. It was a family run nail place and the kid I'm sure has probably lived her whole life there thus far since both her parents are there everyday running the business.

Comment

When I went to my mums shop after school it was sit there and stfu till 5 otherwise you'd be in for a bollocking when you got home.

Comment

OK, first, HELL, NO! Total stranger's kid climbing all over me? Sticking her hand down my shirt? WTF? I'd have gotten out of that chair so fast the kid would have hit the floor and bounced.

And second, a three year old should be more mature and better behaved than that. And if she's not, she doesn't belong in that place under any circumstances.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Lachesis, I wouldn't have been nearly as polite as you were. That would totally not be happening to me. And then I'd get lectured by the mother about how mean I was, I'm sure.
            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I generally get on well with children (probably because I'm still a child at heart), but that wouldn't have flown with me, no ma'am.

I would have told the kid to get off my lap and stop touching my things, and I might have gotten loud about it if the kid didn't get the message.

Sorry you had to put up with that, OP.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

W.T.F.

I am not particularly fond of children either, but since I have one, I have to be around them fairly often. Sometimes you get that chatty kid or the attention-starved kid who wants to talk your ear off or play with your hair. But I've never had one try to molest me.

For future reference, you don't have to put up with that. If the kid's parent is around, ask them to tell their kid to back off. If the parent isn't around/is oblivious, like this one was, it's perfectly OK to say, "Sweetie, you need to get off now." "NO. That is not appropriate. Keep your hands to yourself." "Why don't you sit in this chair here." (although I can see, not being around kids much, how you might be stunned!)

I would have announced loudly to the manicurist that I was planning to utilize her services, but was no longer going to because of her child's behavior and her lack of reaction. But then, I don't mind calling people out and maybe starting a fight, especially over kid. Someone has to teach them boundaries; kids actually WANT to be told what to do because they don't know unless someone teaches them. If the parent refuses to do so, I'm happy to take over. It's a disservice to everyone, the children included, to let them run wild.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I like kids, and your story was disturbing. Good call on your part on getting out of there...

Comment

Quoth lachesis View Post
                    The problem was... the mom WAS the owner, I think. It was a family run nail place and the kid I'm sure has probably lived her whole life there thus far since both her parents are there everyday running the business.
                    All the more reason the child should have known how to behave herself better. Owner or not, you do NOT let your children affect the customers. If kids have to be there, you provide them with a place of their own in a corner, with a table, chair and things to amuse themselves. and teach them to stay away from customers (looking cute & saying hello sweetly to be acceptable if customers speak first).

If it had been me, I'd have told the mother "sorry, I thought I was in a beauty shop, not a day care center, I'll go elsewhere to get my nails done" and left.
                    i do love children, but there is a definite limit that was crossed.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      I'd have gotten out of that chair so fast the kid would have hit the floor and bounced.
                      Me too, I would not stand for that shit. I would've told her get off me, get away from me and if she didn't I would leave but not before mentioning the name of a rival place and saying that they're cheaper and don't have kids running around everywhere.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
                        Me too, I would not stand for that shit. I would've told her get off me, get away from me and if she didn't I would leave but not before mentioning the name of a rival place and saying that they're cheaper and don't have kids running around everywhere.
                        Seconded.

In fact, I'd find another salon to go to where they don't allow it.

The one I go to all the time has a sign in their waiting area that states: We are NOT responsible for injuries due to horseplay.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Well, at least I feel better that not everyone enjoys little kids hanging all over them! I told my co-workers this story and they were like "Awwwww, why didn't you fix the DVD player so you could watch the movie together??" I'm sorry, but screw that. I am never going back to that place again anyway. Besides, it wasn't my regular place anyway.

I go to another establishment that is open on Sundays. They're a bit more pricey, but it's a little more my speed. The owners of that place have a child about 4 (ish) that chills on the couch and leaves her parents alone. If both her parents are busy with customers, she'll go to another adult (most likely another family member) that isn't busy and ask them for whatever she needs. I don't mind her and she's only there on certain days when they can't get anyone to watch her.

Comment

Quoth lachesis View Post
                            Well, at least I feel better that not everyone enjoys little kids hanging all over them! I told my co-workers this story and they were like "Awwwww, why didn't you fix the DVD player so you could watch the movie together??" I'm sorry, but screw that. I am never going back to that place again anyway. Besides, it wasn't my regular place anyway.
                            I love kids. And I may choose to allow a friend's kid (or these days, often grandkid ) sit on my lap, I may choose to play with them, give them hugs, watch a movie, or even get down and play with them in the sandbox if I feel like it, whatever. But that's always my choice, for that day, that time, that child. I will not have anyone's child forced on me, period. Especially in a place of business.

There's a time & a place for everything - For example, just cause a person loves dogs and plays with them all at the dog park doesn't mean they want a stranger's great dane jumping on them with muddy paws when they're wearing a dry-clean only dress and headed for a job interview.

Comment

Why didn't you fix... wtf?

Some parents need to get a clue. 1) Not everyone is into kids. There is nothing wrong with them, or that. 2) Having kids doesn't automatically make you a person who is into kids. There is nothing wrong with THAT either.

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Both are amazing, they are the most important people in my life, and Herbie knows that I gladly get down and play with them on their level, and love it when they try to climb into my lap and cuddle.

They are *MY* kids though. Other people's kids? meh. Don't give a shit. I don't want to hold and cuddle your baby, I am better at doing it now, but don't enjoy it. My kids are mine, and they are perfect. Yours is a screaming little monster. (Sorry to other parents out there... of course I think we all believe ours are the best little beasties out there anyway).

I used to play some tabletop wargames and trading card games at a local game shop where the parents let their kids (and dogs) tear around the place all the time. The kids were always touching, and it made my nutty. You know, if you spend $50 on a miniature tank to use in a game, then put in HOURS of time assembling, modifying and painting it so it was perfect for your game, the absolute last thing you wanted was an unsupervised 6 year old trying to play crash-cars with it. Or asking if they could have some of your trading cards, "Oh I like that one, can I have it?" "No? Its a $50 card you can't HAVE it. Go away." "Mommy that guy is being mean to meeeeee!"

Comment

Working...
                              X