This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CS Cookbook

I've just been chatting with Rapscallion about this idea I had today. Why not put together a Customers Suck! cookbook? I don't know where the idea came from, but I find it a very good one. Raps pointed out that it could be a little difficult, given that recipes are often copyrighted, but I'm sure there are more than enough original recipes by this team to make it a success.

I don't know if it should be called The Customers Suck! Cookbook, but if it is, it would increase traffic to the site.

Okay, what do all of you think?
    Last edited by Eireann; 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM.

It could be fun. I have a couple of personal recipes, and some modifications to existing recipes.
    Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

"Customers Suck! It's...A COOKBOOK!!!!"

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

It could be fun. I know there's at least one recipe specifically created for one member by another. Those kinds of stories could be really neat to include.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Suggested title for the cookbook: "Choke on This! (Recipes by People Who Have to Deal With Customers.)

And Mathnerd, if you're referring to that sauce I made for you to sidestep your allergies, that wasn't my creation, merely something I found on the net. So it wouldn't be mine to put in the book.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Regarding recipe copyright laws (in the U.S.), the actual ingredients list of a recipe cannot be copyrighted. The instructional text and photos/illustrations for how to put the recipe together can. So even if a recipe technically came from another source, if the submitter puts the instructions in their own words, they should be good to go. Of course, it's still nice to cite your sources, if you know where a recipe came from originally. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
              Regarding recipe copyright laws
              Good to know. Also explains something I saw a few months ago. Saw an interesting recipe in Martha and rather than dig it out of the recycle, I googled a few of the ingredients. Top site was Good Housekeeping; curious, I clicked through, and there was what looked to be the exact same recipe dated three years earlier. Didn't compare, but I bet they followed what you outlined to a 'T' - I'm guessing Ms. Stewart has pretty sharp lawyers.

Comment

Okay, if there are no objections, I'd like to take this further. Those interested can PM me (or contact me on Facebook, if we are Facebook friends). Let me know how many recipes you would like to contribute. I think I'll create a special email account for people to send recipes. Given that we're an international crew, it would only make sense for measurements and temperatures to be given in metric and imperial measurements. Those of you who don't have recipes to share might like to send a picture (drawing or photo) or an anecdote about food (holiday meal, your wedding dinner, what happened when the dog ate all the meat for the barbecue, whatever).

Shall we?

Comment

This is a great idea! I've got at least one recipe that I'd like to contribute.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                    Regarding recipe copyright laws (in the U.S.), the actual ingredients list of a recipe cannot be copyrighted. The instructional text and photos/illustrations for how to put the recipe together can. So even if a recipe technically came from another source, if the submitter puts the instructions in their own words, they should be good to go. Of course, it's still nice to cite your sources, if you know where a recipe came from originally. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html
                    There is a caveat to that though. While the ingredients cannot be copyrighted, brand names are still eligible under trademark law. For example, if you use ketchup in your recipe, you can say "ketchup" but you legally cannot say "Heinz ketchup" without paying royalties, even if that is exclusively what you use.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I have a few 'nice' basic meal ones I do that I could add. Nothing special but easy to do....
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Ok, but only post if you know that it tastes good! No lethal chefs allowed!
                        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

One of my favorite things to cook is a pork roast. I make it one of two ways.

1 - Salt and pepper it and then pack the whole thing in a layer of crushed, roasted garlic, put it on a sheet tray loosely covered with foil.
                          After about 45 minutes at 375 degrees, I remove the foil and cook for 15-20 minutes more.

2 - Same as above except, instead of the layer of garlic, I pack it in light brown sugar.

NEXT!
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I guess I never did post that baked pineapple recipe that people wanted on another thread. That one's a family recipe. I make a decent noodle dish with peanut sauce, too. I tend to eyeball things though so I'll have to measure things all out next time I prepare them.
                            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Hmmmm. My cheesecake recipe is a closely guarded secret. My older two boys get irritated that the little one is the keeper of the recipe. I've let the little one help, but not the other two. Not sure why, but now it's kind of a running joke.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X