This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth seigus View Post
    Simpsons references - another reason Argabarga is a national treasure.
    There is a Simpsons quote for just about any situation.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      There is a Simpsons quote for just about any situation.
      It too is a national treasure.
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

The first time I ate at McDonalds the hambuger was 15 cents, and the fries 12 cents. That was back in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

What Hamburgers and Milkshakes Cost at McDonald's in 1955.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

And comics were 10 or 20 cents, but, as other's have pointed out, the average paycheck was, likewise, a lot less.

When I inherited my Grandma's old Ford (74' Torino) she gave me all the paperwork, including it's repair history AND the original dealership brochure and sales literature, price in 74' for that car? Just under $5,000, new.

But, average working salary in 74'? $8,000, with a REAL good job (comparable to a six figure income these days) could earn up to $40,000.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Why is it relevant what something used to cost? At what age does that argument suddenly seem valid? When the price of something I buy regularly goes up I sigh and either continue buying it, or don't buy it. I don't start a rant about inflation. If the day comes when my reaction is to rant I hope someone just smacks me right in the face.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

it's not just cost, I've been presented the argument that ANY change at all, in say rules and policy, is likewise immoral because "they USED to let me do that".

Yes, and now, they don't.

And it's usually the same old geezers to, arguing about how when they were in college "they let you park here!"

And that was 35 years and 200,000 new residents ago, now, there simply are too many people to allow free unlimited parking wherever ya want, deal with it.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  it's not just cost, I've been presented the argument that ANY change at all, in say rules and policy, is likewise immoral because "they USED to let me do that".

Yes, and now, they don't.
                  Yeah, I occasionally saw that at the wholesale club.

"But yesterday, this item was $X!" "That was yesterday. Today, it's $X+2."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    Why is it relevant what something used to cost? At what age does that argument suddenly seem valid? When the price of something I buy regularly goes up I sigh and either continue buying it, or don't buy it. I don't start a rant about inflation. If the day comes when my reaction is to rant I hope someone just smacks me right in the face.
                    This. I really don't understand what people what you to do about rising prices. Once that decision is made, folks, it's DONE. Pay up or GTFO.

Hell, there used to be a place here called Henry's Hamburgers, where you could get a sack of burgers for $1.00 back in the day. And they're gone now so deal with 2016, peeps.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I must admit, moving into my forties, I have had moments of Old Fogeyism when it comes to prices...I remember when a comic book was seventy-five cents, and a movie ticket was $5.00 for an afternoon matinee.

That said, I never berate the cashier for price increases, aside from a tossed-off, "Oh, movie tickets went up another quarter? Darn..."

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                        I must admit, moving into my forties, I have had moments of Old Fogeyism when it comes to prices...I remember when a comic book was seventy-five cents, and a movie ticket was $5.00 for an afternoon matinee.

That said, I never berate the cashier for price increases, aside from a tossed-off, "Oh, movie tickets went up another quarter? Darn..."
                        The theater near me has $4 midweek matinees. It's been that way even before the incident that made it famous.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          Hell, there used to be a place here called Henry's Hamburgers, where you could get a sack of burgers for $1.00 back in the day. And they're gone now so deal with 2016, peeps.
                          Back in the day I could eat that stack of burgers for a dollar. Not any more.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I was thinking that "It used to cost a quarter" would be an excellent time for a gratuitously-offensive "Yo momma" joke, but that class of crass "humor" really doesn't work with SC's who happen to be geezers.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              And it's usually the same old geezers to, arguing about how when they were in college "they let you park here!"
                              Yes they did - but the owners of the property put a stop to that because they got fed up with all the horse shit left behind by the parked buggies.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Warning: Old fart reminiscing-

When I was a kid, there was a little store near my house, that sold popsicles for 5 cents. Fudgesicles were 7 cents.

Another little store sold comic books priced at 10 cents; the big double issues were 25 cents.

Tuna was something like 49 cents a can. When I was in high school I used to stop at the supermarket on the way home from school and buy a can of soda for 20 cents.

My school lunches were 40 cents.

I don't expect any of those prices to still be in effect, because that would be, I dunno...crazy.

Now get off my lawn
                                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X