Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

I HATE THE EXPRESS LANE!!! (Language Within)
Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Whipping Post

Angry I HATE THE EXPRESS LANE!!! (Language Within)

Sorry for the caps. I'm ready to rip out my hair. I must have pissed someone off cause they keep exiling me to Express.
I. Can. Not. Enforce. The. Item. Limit. PERIOD. I'm allowed to remind them but can't turn them away.
Cut to yesterday...no less than three people bitched me out because of this. One guy yelled for 5 minutes, got the MOD & is "calling corporate to have them CLEAN HOUSE"(his words) in my store. Mind you, corporate does everything to make SC's happy, stopping just short of fellatio.
He bitched at others in line. He bitched at me. Bitched at the CSM. YELLED at the "offending" customer. Stood in front of the store & bitched for 10 minutes. "I don't have time to wait behind people who can't read a sign!"'
But you have time to bitch out at least three different people?
I must confess, however, to a certain satisfaction at the "offending" customer who told him to shut the fuck up & get a life. Caribbean island women don't play.

Last edited by JustShootMe; 11-06-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Philosophical Tomato

Management here always puts the cashiers with the highest IPM on Express, like it's some kind of reward.

We're not allowed to enforce the limit either. Sometimes we can get away with it depending on who's running the front end but generally (even if a customer hasn't put their stuff up yet but we can see the full cart) we're supposed to let them in. A common trick is for someone to put 2-3 items up, then when we ask for the store card that's when a spouse/kid/co-conspirator brings the cart from behind a candy rack, unloads the rest and gives the cashier a smirk that makes me want to ram the 45675 Lunchables down their throat.

Seems everyone but manglement can see that allowing that behavior isn't "good customer service", it just pisses the good customers off (and forcing the express cashiers to stay late).

Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

"Manglement"?? I love it

Keep in mind that, to a store/megacorp, a custy who ignores the rules and comes in every week/month with those overloaded carts is not a filthy stinking aliterate rule-breaker...they're a "f*ing awesome customer who makes us lots of money" -- So, no, they don't care that they're ticking off half a dozen other custys who may very well buy just as much as those guys on a regular basis on other trips, and just need a loaf of bread, a jug of wine (and thee) today. The person with the full cart has that full cart NOW, so it never occurs to them that they may easily run off half a dozen other full-cart shoppers by catering to the one.
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Computer Wizard

The logical thing to do would be to put high-IPM cashiers on a normal lane to handle large orders, and cashiers who can handle money rapidly on express lanes.

Another reasonable tactic would be to make express lanes basket-only (that is, handheld basket), and make them narrow enough to prevent a trolley getting through. Then you aren't talking about an arbitrary number of items, but there's still a logical cutoff between bachelors shopping for one, and families with a huge amount of goods to buy at once. It would also be *much* easier to enforce.

I keep mentioning this, but in Finland we simply don't have express lanes. The system seems to work well enough anyway.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Drugstore Maniac

I was in line at a store once. I had like 10 over the limit and the cashier at the express lane said I can go through their line. I hate being that customer, but invited I will take the chance.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Area Manager

My mother and I had a perfectly wonderful Girl's Day Out today. After several mall stores (new Coach purses! Yay!), some boutiques (new clothes for me since everything I own is too big), and a very nice lunch, we headed to Walmart to pick up a few boring, but essential stuff (laundry detergent, shampoo and such). What a way to ruin a perfectly lovely day.

We got what we needed which totaled about 15 items. The place was packed, and the line at the express register wasn't terribly long. Unfortunately, what we didn't see was the family of morons who had THREE FULL CARTS full of stuff. What the fuck? Not only is that rude to everybody else, but the express lanes just aren't set up to process that much volume. After about 20 minutes one of the managers opened up another register and took us and a few other people behind us. We were still ahead of where we would have been, as the lines at the regular lanes were just that long, but still. This is one of the reasons we try to avoid Walmart if at all possible. Both of us were pretty mad at ourselves for not stopping at Target when we were up that direction.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Loading, please wait...

The stores in this area seem to have decided to do away with express lanes, even the wally world. Instead, there's a bank of self checks where the express lanes used to be. This strikes me as being a reasonable compromise. Then again, I'm actually a fan of the whole self check idea, and rarely have any issues using them.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

Chromatix - One or two stores around here have really short conveyor belts for the express lane; they're maybe the size of two hand-baskets. All it really accomplishes is allowing more room for people with overflowing baskets to queue up x.x That, and they have less space to cram their stuff into.
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Quoth JustShootMe View Post
... corporate does everything to make SC's happy, stopping just short of fellatio...
The peons are supposed to provide that service during the shower of gold from the customer.

Last edited by dalesys; 11-07-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 AM
I need a life

Quote:
Quoth Chromatix View Post
The logical thing to do would be to put high-IPM cashiers on a normal lane to handle large orders, and cashiers who can handle money rapidly on express lanes.
I'm both of these, so I get to go on the regular lane that's closest to the main aisle all the time. Oh, joy. I always have the highest number of transactions in the store and the fastest speed score, or close to it. I'm often faster than the express lanes, so I think express lanes aren't as necessary as good cashiers. We aren't allowed to enforce the limit, either, which is further reason to eliminate the expresses.
Closed Thread