Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knuckle sandwich, anyone? (warning: gory)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckle sandwich, anyone? (warning: gory)

Sliced off most of my knuckle yesterday on a mandoline slicer. Not sure how deep it was, but I am aware that when it sliced through, there was a jarring sensation as the blade hit something...solid. So possibly bone. /shudder

It was hanging on by a shred of skin, so I shoved it back into place, and tried to wrap a towel around it to stop the bleeding. Terry cloth apparently DOES NOT HELP. Also, soaks really quickly.

So I got seriously woozy after about ten minutes of 'stopbleedingstopstopstopohgodSTAHP" and ended up holding it under cold water while I gathered bandaids and neosporin with the other hand. Dried it off super quick, threw down a massive glob of neosporin, and then wrapped the bandaid super tight. Bled through quickly, so I ended up changing bandaids four times before it slowed down.

Currently, we are SCREWED money-wise, so I'm just changing the bandaid and neosporin often, and keeping a splint on it in the hopes that if I don't move it....it'll reattach. Crossing my fingers here, if it doesn't show any signs of it by tonight...guess it'll be the hospital for me. (please nooooooo)
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

bleh. i shudder cos i'm thinking of my mother - even a small cut freaks her out cos she is on a blood thinner. something that deep would freak her out.

my bf even got her some quick-clot trauma packs for the car. i was telling one of my friends about it the other day and they laughed thinking it was some silly gag-gift until they realized that he hadn't been kidding when he ordered them.

Comment

Strangely enough, clean wet disposable diapers work pretty well to stop bleeding. (or they did when they first came out in the 60's at least. My brother was a few months old when we went to the lake. I stepped on something that cut my foot open. they couldn't get the bleeding to stop normally so my mom wet one of his diapers in the lake and used that. Took 3 stitches in the foot so it was good we had the diapers. (after 5 girls, my mom was thrilled with the newfangled disposables)

Comment

I'm not sure if they stop bleeding but i read a techno-thriller that made mention of soldiers using tampons and pads for emergency battle dressing. although i guess that's better if they don't have immediate access to real trauma supplies and can only go to the local mart etc.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          I'm not sure if they stop bleeding but i read a techno-thriller that made mention of soldiers using tampons and pads for emergency battle dressing. although i guess that's better if they don't have immediate access to real trauma supplies and can only go to the local mart etc.
          Well, it makes sense. That's what they are designed to do.

That being said, Seraph, if there's any sign of infection, please please get it checked out. (This comes from my recent experience with my husband's own tale of gore and ick that I haven't shared yet)

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
            Sliced off most of my knuckle yesterday on a mandoline slicer.
            I've lost count of how many times I've sliced myself with a mandolin slicer. One time I wasn't even using it, just getting it out of the dishwasher! Nearly took the tip of my finger off and I still have a scar from that one. In my experience they always bleed forever. More than likely the skin won't reattach (at least not completely). It might look like it did and then the dead skin with slough off. Keep doing what you're doing, but don't hesitate to get it checked out if it doesn't stop bleeding or looks like it's getting worse.

In the mean time, you should totally get some cool band-aids. Surely they make pony band-aids.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
              That being said, Seraph, if there's any sign of infection, please please get it checked out. (This comes from my recent experience with my husband's own tale of gore and ick that I haven't shared yet)
              Definitely will, do NOT want to lose a finger to this.

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              In the mean time, you should totally get some cool band-aids. Surely they make pony band-aids.
              Totally should. And if they do....I haven't seen them yet. <.<

Comment

I just knew when I couldn't hurt myself in the kitchen anymore since buying good food became a problem...that you and Lupo would start getting hurt again.

Comment

Is there an urgent care center in your area? They might be able to stitch you up, and would be cheaper than a hospital.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

My family doctor's practice will stitch up wounds that don't actually require hospitalisation. Stitch them up, splint things, check for infection.

Another thing: as a first-aid measure, one finger or toe can be splinted to its neighbour. That said; please please please take your finger to a doctor or pharmacist.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

FWIW, CVS Minute Clinic can see you for minor injuries, though they won't do stitches. It's under $100. I would imagine the Walgreens version would be similar.

http://www.minuteclinic.com/services/minorinjuryexam/
                      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

My mom did this with a a wooden dowel. She was trying to whittle an arrow for my Robin Hood obsessed brother. With a kitchen knife.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          Totally should. And if they do....I haven't seen them yet. <.<
                          Ahem:

The pic is from this site so maybe someone up north could send them to you.
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

So, the flap is staying down for now, which is good. Its peeling up a little around the edges as I let it dry out in between bandage changes....but I'm thrilled that the flap, or whatever, is staying put. I'm keeping a super, super close eye on it, I promise. There is no heat from the wound whatsoever, it smells normal, and the color is acceptable.

Hurts like a mother if I do move it though. I can still bend the finger though, so that's a good sign. Didn't damage a tendon, like I sort of had the horrible realization yesterday was a possibility. I'm going to keep up with the bandaging/cleaning/neosporin/splinting regimen for now, and keep trying to flex it at least twice a day, just to make sure no damage is developing.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                            Is there an urgent care center in your area? They might be able to stitch you up, and would be cheaper than a hospital.
                            Wish there was, but it's a 45 min drive from here.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            That said; please please please take your finger to a doctor or pharmacist.
                            I had my mother (who is a nurse) look at it yesterday, she said there's no sign of infection (woooo) thus far, and to just keep trying not to move it. She also informed me she'll be watching me, and it, like a hawk.

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                            Ahem:
                            OH COME ON SO NOT FAIR.

Comment

Lol you're smarter than me.

Closed a jack knife on my finger. Cut to the bone and the knife pulled a little piece of flesh out with it. Too stubborn to goto the hospital I just instructed my very worried/angry wife how to wrap it.

Next day I changed the dressing and shed used the gauze that sticks to things, and it'd threaded itself to the flesh chunk, when she saw me groaning and pulling the gauze which was pulling out the inside of my finger meat, she made be goto the er.

Was too late for stitches lol. But I still have a weird semi pain/numbness where the scar is lol

Comment

Working...
                              X