Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading some posts on Cruise Critics from people doing the retirement and cruising thing.

If you look at some of the cruise companies sites, some of the fares if you are willing to live in one of the lowest deck inside rooms can be fairly cheap, and when you pile up the repeat cruiser discounts and such it can be fairly cheap. Pick a line that has self serve laundromats to not have to pay the fee for the crew served laundry it could be fairly reasonable. IIRC AARP came out last year and mentioned that retirement home costs start at something like $50 000 a year. Heck, mrAru doesn't even make that much a year and there are 2 of us. Holland America on the ms Amsterdam, 72 day LA to LA round trip hitting ports in the far east, per person inside room $10 999 plus taxes, tips and assorted spending money - doesn't take into account any sort of repeat sailers club or discounts.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
      I remember reading some posts on Cruise Critics from people doing the retirement and cruising thing.
      My grandparents recently did a cruise, and met an elderly man on his 81st cruise. With that many repeats, he said that it was cheaper for him to get on a cruise ship where all his food and lodging is paid for, than rent a flat in Brisbane for a week. That and there is a dedicated doctor on the cruise ship. He essentially disembarks, goes into the office and books another one.

It's the sort of retirement I'd love to have.

Comment

So would I.

There's a cruise ship called The World which is essentially a floating block of 165 luxury flats. You simply embark to your own apartment and sail to wherever they're going. It's so exclusive the website doesn't even tell you how much one of these apartments cost XD
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
          It's so exclusive the website doesn't even tell you how much one of these apartments cost XD
          I believe the operative expression would be "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
            My grandmother is on this cruise right now.
            I'm virtually certain that that was the very cruise Ms. Antarctica was on!!!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

One of my coworkers in Alaska last summer used to work as a bartender on an icebreaker turned cruise ship in Antarctica.
              Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
                My grandparents recently did a cruise, and met an elderly man on his 81st cruise. With that many repeats, he said that it was cheaper for him to get on a cruise ship where all his food and lodging is paid for, than rent a flat in Brisbane for a week. That and there is a dedicated doctor on the cruise ship. He essentially disembarks, goes into the office and books another one.

It's the sort of retirement I'd love to have.
                First saw it a few years back, but various (paper and electronic) humour sources tell the story of a guy who compares the cost of nursing homes to that of cruises, and decides to spend his retirement cruising. Considering the nature of some of these sources, I'm surprised the story never mentions the lack of "eye candy" (i.e. young women in bikinis) at nursing homes.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Aha!! On the topic of huge cruises...

Cunard have just released the details for their 2014 world cruises. IMO Cunard are the poshest cruise line ever - they're what's left of the White Star Line who ran the Titanic among other things. As an example the Queen Mary 2 is going on a 119-day cruise from January to May...

If you've got a spare fifteen grand you're desperate to spend... Or even if not, like me you can just drool over/daydream... Have a look.
                  "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

My mom is nearing retirement age, but she's not the cruise type. But she is becoming the world traveller type.

Over the past 10 years she's been crazy enough to go on an intercontinental trip with highschool students. This year (leaving a week from Friday) she's taking 7 kids to Costa Rica for a week (From Canada).

I'm beginning to think she might have a slight curse following her too.

She was in Egypt about a year or so before Arab Spring. And her last group trip to Greece, they were on a cruise of the islands (to Capri IIRC) and a week after she got back, that exact same cruise ship sunk.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                      My mom is nearing retirement age, but she's not the cruise type. But she is becoming the world traveller type.

Over the past 10 years she's been crazy enough to go on an intercontinental trip with highschool students. This year (leaving a week from Friday) she's taking 7 kids to Costa Rica for a week (From Canada).

I'm beginning to think she might have a slight curse following her too.

She was in Egypt about a year or so before Arab Spring. And her last group trip to Greece, they were on a cruise of the islands (to Capri IIRC) and a week after she got back, that exact same cruise ship sunk.
                      Your grandparents too, huh? My grandparents used to have the same issue when they still traveled. Now grandma's passed and grandpa's in a wheelchair, so...
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                      X