Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a spin thru the kitchen of a university when I was younger where the wages where phenomenal ($17 an hour to start) but the fellow "coworkers" were escaped insane asylum patients. I lasted 3 months in there washing dishes while watching fights (management tried to fire, union got them rehired), being called in to cover no-show no-calls that were allowed by contract and generally putting up with stuff that would land one on the receiving end of the unemployment check in anywhere else but this place.

I'm sure with lobotomy I could've made quite career out of it and lived very well working 20 hours a week and getting paid twice what I now earn.
    Last edited by bbbr; 12-15-2014, 02:51 AM.

Comment

1, Maintenance. The work was easy enough, but I had to be at work at 5 in the morning and at that time I seldom went to bed before midnight.

2. Pricing audits.

Scan item.
      Make sure it scans at the price indicated on the shelf label.
      If it doesn't, fix whatever issue there is (print new label or tag, request a sale sign, move item to correct spot)
      Repeat 250 times per department, more if it's a very SKU-intensive department like HBA or cosmetics.

Mind-meltingly boring and repetitive.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Hm. I probably should say either of the phone boiler room jobs I had - one was semi-legit and one was fully under the table illegal.

The legit one was selling 'articles' in an enclosure in weekly papers, the Sunday edition 'highlighting' a business. We had a huge book of boilerplate for all sorts of businesses, and we were to go through a volume of yellow pages for an area, and pick the article that closest came to the business going by their advertisement [based on the theory that if they were willing to pay for something more than the plain line, they would go for the article] and when we got the person in charge of advertising, read them the article to see if they would like to pay for placement. I was actually pretty good at it, and didn't have to really lie or stretch the truth that much. After all, they were getting something concrete, a few column-inches in an actual paper. [This was in 1986]

The real boiler room one was calling people who put in an entry to win a free weekend at a almost local resort, we were making sure they qualified, and then we set 'reservations' up for them. We were in Virginia Beach, and the timeshare resort was near Lake Gaston somewhere. [More or less a decent distance for a weekend get away.] Mainly, qualifications were married or engaged [there was a 'wedding package' we could try and up sell, the whole destination wedding thing.] income over $25 000 [I think] and both parties over the age of 18 [legal to sign a contract] and we pushed to get at least 5 other contacts we could send an entry form to. Oddly, this job was actually fairly well paying, $10 an hour, which was almost double what my other legal jobs of the time were paying, and they had a bonus system for getting 10 reservations in a day, and a bigger bonus if one of our reservations actually bought a timeshare. I have no idea why they were running it illegally, as theoretically everything was legit - the whole entry form gave us a legit reason to call so it wasn't cold calling like the first job. Ensuring people were legal and employed was fine as well. We didn't get hassled if we couldn't get additional contacts to mail entries to, but in general most people gave us a couple names and addresses to send the entries to.

I had an interesting, totally legit phone job also at about the same time - working directly for the Ledger-Star, calling subscribers and polling them on stuff about the paper, size, content and such. I had more hassle getting people to talk to me than I ever did with trying to sell stuff [or calling on those entry forms.]

Yup, odd period in my life - that was the second time I had more than one or two jobs at a time. I worked as a security guard full time, and the other 3 jobs were part time. The illegal boiler room was my 'weekend' job - Mondays and Tuesdays that I had off from working security, evenings from 5 pm to 9 pm, and the others were each 2 days, the advertising job was days monday-wednesday and Ledger-Star was thursday and friday days. But at least I made enough to live on so I didn't have to deal with roommate. Having just come off of an abusive relationship, I didn't need any complications! It also kept me busy so I didn't bog down emotionally. It was an interesting 6 months, then they closed down the boiler room and the paper finished the polling so I was left with security and advertising which wasn't bad. Then the advertising place tanked and left em with one job - but then they offered me a full time site. I have to say, that is when I decided I really liked night shifts, I would love to have the desk part of that job [I couldn't handle walking the rounds now.]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
        X