This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Overtime is Normaltime

Do any of you have jobs where overtime is required? If so, are you OK with it, or does it suck?
    My office is about to go into a manditory 6-days schedule--just in time for Christmas! Furthermore, my boss told me it's expected to continue for the next several months! Fortunately, I have enough senority to avoit at least some of it--I hope!

Ouch, Do you at least get time and a half, or is this a Salaried job?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I used to have a job that had 5 hours overtime with the 6 days a week requirement. It sucks at first, but you do get used to it. The worst part is when friends or family call wanting to do something when you have to work the extra day.

Comment

In my line (local tv news) an hour or two every day is expected, and we're paid for it. Double time at the 12 hour mark. Time and a half for the first 8 on 6th & 7th days, double after that on those days. Premiums for holidays and overnight hours.

I was actually off on a single day when the plane hit the house outside DC, killing 6, on Monday. That was 12+ hrs for everyone involved that day, and I get an 18+ hour day once or twice a month.

Due to the nature of the business you (almost) never know how long your day will be going in.

Even in our line though it gets maddening when the same folks get the short end of the stick regularly. Certain people (like me) draw live truck and long hours every day, others get day turn, edit in house and out the door a half hour early every damn day. We can request 'off on time' at the beginning of the shift, and the rule is that management must honor it, but I have been screwed over before for daring to ask.

Usually about twice a year the 'no overtime' mandate comes from the Puzzle Palace (corporate hq) and we spend a month on straight time, but it hasn't happened recently. Probably because we are 30% under staffed. Company policy is to have a lean staff and pay O.T. as needed (which is a lot). Given the layoffs in 2008 I can't say I disagree, but I have to admit my weekends and time off are sacred.

Oh yes, we also have to take about 6-8 'on call' weekend days per year, chosen by seniority (obviously not required by those already scheduled to work weekends). We get $25 per day for standby regardless if we are called in or not, and also get regular overtime if we go in. Those who are not assigned take home gear get to take a company car for the weekend for faster response. Average chance of call in is about 10% for illness or real serious breaking news. I took most of November to help out all of my fellow coworkers who wanted to spend time with their families.
        "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Ouch, Do you at least get time and a half, or is this a Salaried job?
          Yes, at least we'll get 1 1/2 time. Also, when we work Sundays, we get 1 1/2 time, too.

Comment

My secretary job was sort of like that - officially I was just supposed to work during the 12 hours a week the church office was open, but the position was also considered salaried. (part of the job description was to run office-related errands, but I was expected to do this on my own time, outside of office hours)

Comment

Being Public Works overtime happens _way_ too often, especially with snow. You can get stuck there for _days_ moving the piles of white crap around. Of course it's all O/T but still...

And I really resent being called "essential personnel" when it suits management. It is NOT a part-time thing so telling me I won't get a raise or cost of living and then calling me "essential" flies about as well as a lead brick!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                Being Public Works overtime happens _way_ too often, especially with snow. You can get stuck there for _days_ moving the piles of white crap around. Of course it's all O/T but still...

And I really resent being called "essential personnel" when it suits management. It is NOT a part-time thing so telling me I won't get a raise or cost of living and then calling me "essential" flies about as well as a lead brick!
                We're considered "essential," too. Lucky us!

Comment

Quoth dougiezerts View Post
                  We're considered "essential," too. Lucky us!
                  I'm essential personnel, means if I get my license I can get a card and go on a database of "people allowed to drive even if the government closes the roads"

Also my permanent schedule includes 8 hours overtime every other week. I work a 3 day week and then a 4 day week of 12 hour shifts.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Don't get me started on this subject, or the fact that where I work, most of the required overtime is during the holidays when we are already getting holiday pay for being off during the actual holiday, but we won't get time and a half for being forced to work the day after or the day before/during that same pay week. (example, week of Christmas, get paid to be off Christmas Day, but be required to work that Saturday or Sunday).

Although, there's times it's went on for months or years. It doesn't even matter at some points that it's time and a half if there's no holiday or you haven't taken time off. Mental health drops, everyone gets sick of each other.

Last summer, when the shifts restructured, we didn't know until Fridays if we had to work Saturday. I'm literally amazed that the media wasn't alerted to it. In all my years there, I've never seen people so upset.

Disgusting, filthy pigs I work for.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My job (police dispatch) has a mandatory list. If a shift opens up and there isn't enough coverage, whoever is on top of the list has to come in. The list rotates and there are exceptions. If the person is sick or out of town, they don't have to come in but we haven't really had much problem with people always intentionally skipping. We also can be made to stay over if needed but that doesn't happen often and when it does for me, it's usually an hour at most. I got lucky with how it's set up and handled here.
                      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

My employer requires a 5 1/2 day work week totaling 50 hours. I am a salaried employee. When I work more than the required number of hours, I get to cut out early for an appointment or a personal errand. My non-salaried employees get time and a half over 40, on holidays they get double time, Sundays are premium days and are time and a half.

Check your local labor standards...they may have clarification for your specific area.

Comment

It is rare for us to have 'mandatory' OT (precision CNC-machining work). Usually there are more then enough volunteers. I am usually on that list.

Then again, we work Four 10-hour days, so most of our OT is on Fridays. *ducks for cover*
                          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                          X