Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, now I am getting the urge to get the crock out and make some kraut ... and it got tapped by a cast iron dutch oven and developed a crack so now it is just decorative
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I am offended by Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and must be given at least 2 pounds per day! They degrade my patronymic!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Gidgetdigit View Post
        Mmmmmm.....sauerkraut.
        Anyone else here been known to eat the sauerkraut cold right out of the jar?

What? I TOLD you I love the stuff!

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        Damn, now I am getting the urge to get the crock out and make some kraut ...
        Wait...you can make kraut in a crock pot? Not that I've ever made kraut at all, but you can make it in a crock pot?

Please, provide details and/or a recipe. Please?

(And mods, why don't we have a drooling emoticon?)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Liability. It kept destroying monitors.

That's really why we have Rule #1.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

What? I TOLD you I love the stuff!

Wait...you can make kraut in a crock pot? Not that I've ever made kraut at all, but you can make it in a crock pot?

Please, provide details and/or a recipe. Please?

Crock, not crock pot. Real sauerkraut is fermented, if I'm not mistaken, sonyou make it in a crock sorta like you make real pickles.

Like this: http://www.canningpantry.com/sauerkraut-crocks.html

I think the crock usually has a sort of heavy disk to weigh down the food and keep it under the liquid.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
              Crock, not crock pot. Real sauerkraut is fermented, if I'm not mistaken, so you make it in a crock sorta like you make real pickles.
              Curses! Foiled again!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Curses! Foiled again!
                I don't know, if you can find a crock for cheap (yard sale or whatever) I don't think it's too hard to do. But then, I've never tried.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Damn it...now I want sauerkraut.
                  Howza 'bout some 'kraut and corned beef on a nice Jewish rye? (With some Swiss cheese of course, heck, maybe even some Irish swiss!)

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                  I saw "Krrisp Kraut" and was like "Haha, they're trying for alliteration".
                  And nailing it. It really is crisp too. Went and grabbed some after seeing it on "Made in Wisconsin." Decent for store bought.

Quoth Jester View Post
                  ahhhh.... so YOU'RE the person those cans of sauerkraut juice are aimed at.
                  Last edited by sms001; 10-04-2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Cans of sauerkraut JUICE?! Eeeewwwww....and I thought Clamato was the weirdest drink I'd ever seen.

wolfie, 'kraut' was a derogatory term for Germans in WW2 (as far as I know that's the only time period it was used as such).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Curses! Foiled again!
                      You can still use a crock pot, just don't plug it in.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        wolfie, 'kraut' was a derogatory term for Germans in WW2 (as far as I know that's the only time period it was used as such).
                        The use of "kraut" to describe Germans started in the mid-nineteenth century, and became slang for German soldiers in World War 1.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                          Oh my I hope she doesn't wander downtown here and see one of the vendors. Long Dick's Sausage Emporium. Yep, that shiz is for real. Big joke when they opened was that the guys at work would go around asking us girls (who wouldn't be offended by such a joke) if we'd had our long dicks yet, lol.
                          I am SO glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.

One of my mother's most delicious dinners was a pork roast with sauerkraut and potatoes. Throw in some sliced onions and mmmm......
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

gma made sweet sauerkraut. Oh mmmmmm
                            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                              I don't know, if you can find a crock for cheap (yard sale or whatever) I don't think it's too hard to do. But then, I've never tried.
                              Oh, I am sure. But I had this mental picture of throwing some cabbage and other things in the crock pot in the morning, and coming back after work to a lovely piping hot crock pot of delicious homemade sauerkraut.

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Howza 'bout some 'kraut and corned beef on a nice Jewish rye? (With some Swiss cheese of course, heck, maybe even some Irish swiss!)
                              Reuben! I love reubens!

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              And nailing it. It really is crisp too. Went and grabbed some after seeing it on "Made in Wisconsin." Decent for store bought.
                              I've only ever had store bought, though I suppose some that I've had in restaurants might have been made in-house.

That being said, I have never seen this brand, so it seems like I am missing out. Damn it!

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              ahhhh.... so YOU'RE the person those cans of sauerkraut juice are aimed at.
                              Not me! I love the kraut, but I don't drink the juice, nor would I. I can, however, see those working well for various cooking applications.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              One of my mother's most delicious dinners was a pork roast with sauerkraut and potatoes. Throw in some sliced onions and mmmm......
                              That sounds delicious!

Once again, mods, I really must insist....we need a drooling emoticon in here!

Still A Customer."

Comment

I don't know, maybe I'm weirder than everyone else, but I can see how "Krrisp Kraut" would be offensive. First, the "kraut" being a derogatory name for Germans during WWII. Second, I believe the OP said this was a predominantly Jewish neighborhood? To me, the name conjured up an image of Auschwitz.

I'm sorry. I'll go to the corner now.

Comment

Working...
                                X