This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some faith in humanity restored - wolf rescued from frozen river

I've been reading little bits and pieces of this story for a few weeks now and finally got some good sources of information.

In a nutshell, a wolf was found struggling but stuck in the frigid waters of an Italian river - rescuers were able to pull the wolf out (saving his life) and rehabilitate him. It looks like they have him in a sanctuary now due to his poor health but it's still a great story.

This is their site and the page about him, it is in Italian but Chrome does a good job of translating:

http://www.centrotutelafauna.org/storia-navarre.html

They also posted a video on YouTube about his rescue and how much they did to save his life. Interesting how despite he's a wild wolf it looks that he knows they're there to help him (yes, I'm sure he was heavily sedated but even a heavily sedated animal can lash out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_4N...source=message
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Awwww. Such a sad story, yet so happy. I'm just so glad the wolfie is doing well. *wants to huggle the-sedated-wolf*
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Sort of proves a Mark Twain quote that I first saw as a sig on this site (wolves are close enough to dogs for this to count).

If you take a starving dog and make him prosperous, he won't bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've been in contact with the woman in the video who was giving the wolf mouth-to-mouth. She sent me a post-recovery high-resolution picture of him (Navarre). I'm awaiting on permission to share it here, he's looking very well but there is some sadness in his eyes.

But - he is doing well with his recovery.

Below is the English version of the news story / release they are sending to the presses:

It was Monday, January the 9th 2012, at 1.30 PM, when the Provincial Police of Montorio (Province of Bologna, Italy) made a call to the Monte Adone Centre for Conservation and Research of Exotic and Wild Fauna (referred as Centre in the text below) to request a rescue intervention of a wounded wolf in the Municipality of Camugnano (Province of Bologna, Italy). In the framework of a very strong history of cooperation the rescue operation was carried out in a teamwork with the Provincial Police. The four operators of the Centre (Rudi Berti, Elisa Berti, Gaia Ferrara, Lara Vassena) together with the health care responsible, the veterinarian, Dr. Marzia Naldi immediately set off towards the finding place with two vehicles and all necessary equipment (containment cage, stretcher, oxygen, anaesthetic rifle, first aid kit, etc. ..). In the meantime, the veterinarian of Porretta Terme, Dr. Alberto Tovoli was also contacted and being near the finding place of the wolf he went there right away to wait together with the provincial police and the citizen that found the animal.

After a 60 km drive through the hills the Centre’s staff arrived on place: the wolf, an adult male, was in the freezing water of the Limentra river, close to the shore. The animal that was obviously in shock and in a state of severe malnutrition, after fording the river several times, was clearly frozen and showed a paresis of the hind limbs.

After a careful analysis of the situation and evaluation, together with the veterinarians, of the risks associated with the animal's condition, Rudi Berti, Director of the Centre, sedated the wolf with the tranquilliser gun. After being shot in the shoulder, the only part of the body besides the head that was standing out of the water, the wolf began swimming towards the river’s centre, where the current was stronger. Without losing sight of the animal the Centre operators began to run along the banks of the river, ready to intervene to recover the wolf, who was gradually losing consciousness under the effect of the sedative.

Founding a gateway of access to the river, Elisa Berti, followed by the other volunteers, jumped into the water and managed to grab him. Despite the considerable difficulties due to the strong current and extremely slippery bottom of the riverbed , the three operators of the Centre brought the wolf to the shore. (Photo by Tommaso Fulgaro).

After securing the animal, veterinarians and operators of the Centre realized that he was in cardiopulmonary arrest and his condition was extremely critical. Without further hesitation Dr.Tovoli and Elisa Berti began with the chest compressions and "mouth to mouth" breathing. After several minutes of the cardiopulmonary resuscitation the wolf resumed regular cardiac respiratory activity for the excitement of all present. He was put on the stretcher and kept under oxygen during the transfer.

Since the rescue site was about an hour's drive from the Centre, the staff asked Mr Maestrini, the citizen that reported the animal to the Provincial Police, to be hosted at his property in order to stabilize the wolf, dry and warm him before the trip. Happy and willing to collaborate Mr. Maestrini made available to the staff a warm environment where the wolf was put in front of the fireplace, along with volunteers that previously jumped into the river, providing them dry clothes as well.

After a few hours, although still in a state of hypothermia, the wolf resumed slowly consciousness bringing a smile to the faces of all present.

The first days were crucial to the conditions of the animal and it was necessary to keep him in intensive care and monitor him day and night. There has been a lot of diagnostic and laboratory investigations that highlighted several problems immediately.

At his arrival at the Centre the animal has been alert and responsive, but in an extreme state of emaciation, dehydration and showed paraparesis of the hindquarters. Moreover he presented an extensive and widespread dermatitis with large bald patches, probably caused by scabies. The initial blood tests showed an infection and a liver disease. The radiography exam showed the presence of about 35 4mm bullets distributed throughout the body and showed no fracture. The animal was shot multiple times (probably exposed to a gunfire) long before, but fortunately this did not cause any major injuries.

Since the various exams had not cleared the cause of paralysis of the hind legs, it was decided to investigate further. With the authorization of the competent authorities, on 12th of January, the Centre staff, accompanied by a veterinary surgeon Dr. Giulio Masiello, transported the wolf at the Veterinary Hospital of San Michele di Tavazzano con Villavesco (Province of Lodi), where Dr. Offer Zeira, the neurologist who has been collaborating with the Centre for years, decided to submit him to magnetic resonance imaging and other exams. (Photo by Andrea Dalpian).

As always, Dr. Zeira and his well-trained staff, dedicated themselves to this incredible animal with professionalism and dedication succeeding to make a precise diagnosis of the pathology of the wolf.
        The magnetic resonance imaging shown the presence of a hard spondylitis between the 4th and 5th thoracic vertebra, an inflammatory-infectious form that hit the intervertebral disc and surrounding tissues. This condition resulted in a compression of the spinal cord and caused the paraparesis of the hind limbs.

Dr. Zeira immediately set the therapy and the animal was brought back to the Centre.

The diagnosed disease will require a hospital stay during which it will be crucial the rest of the animal according to a specific treatment protocol. Alongside with it, different practices are used at the Centre, like homotoxicological and homeopathic therapies.

Furthermore, Dr. Christine Castellitto, famous cardiologist from Bologna and for many years collaborator of the Centre made an accurate cardiologic screening of the wolf.

To begin with the delicate stage of recovery, the wolf is treated weekly by Dr. Renato Magliulo with ozone therapy and by Dr. Donatella Zambelli with acupuncture.

A blood sample has been taken to the Genetics laboratory of the Institute for the Protection and Environmental Research (ISPRA) which carries out all the genetic investigations of the case.

The blood tests performed by Dr. Naldi that are repeated frequently in order to monitor the delicate conditions of the animal, are showing a progressive improvement in all parameters.

The full recovery of the wolf Navarre requires a specific rehabilitation program. From the date of his arrival, the management of the animal required an ongoing commitment of 24 hours a day. Although not losing pride and confidence that distinguish his species, Navarre agrees to be treated with patience, and day after day demonstrates a strong temperament and an increasing desire to live.

(Photo by Alberto Tovoli and Paul Taranto)
        In collaboration with the competent authorities and scientific figures of reference, the Centre has the ambitious aim of bringing Navarre in nature.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

This is a great story. Wish everyone cared about animals this much!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I don't understand Italian, but what was happening came across very clear in the video...I actually had to stop watching because I was tearing up. If I didn't know I would have thought he was a 'regular' dog, he was that calm. He definitely knew the people were there to help.

*sends gentle hugs and good thoughts to Navarre*
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Beautiful people there. Makes me happy, it does

Comment

More faith restored - a man finds a coyote trapped in a barbed wire fence and works to free the coyote (successfully):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE007fFnel0
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I got misty eyed reading this, and am so happy people still care in this world. I'm glad Navarre is doing well. As you can see from my handle, I care very deeply about these animals, and have been a life long animal activist. It truly warmed my heart. Thank you for posting this.

Comment

Another video but..

**NOT SAFE FOR WORK** due to several F-bombs dropped so pause it and then turn down the volume if you want to watch it.

A man pulls over to free a wolf (IMO more like a coyote) from a fence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YlhRkde2cTo
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Just a quick update on Navarre - he is doing extremely well and they are going to move him to a larger pen so he can move a lot more. they are considering re-releasing him after he is fully healed.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                      X