This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    If they would round up all the seagulls in all the world and just shoot 'em, I would not miss them one bit.

They're flying dumpsters. In the warmer months they like to congregate in our parking lot and dine on various pieces of garbage they find around. You'll see a bunch of them fighting over a McDonalds french cry carton.

And they shit everywhere! I have to take my hat off the one who bombed my car at work the other day. It was so cold it froze rock-hard. I thought it was too cold for seagulls. Note to self: avoid parking under lampposts in parking lot.

Being on a lake I got way way too many seagulls around here.
    As much as I don't like the little shithawks... I've heard tell they're a protected species(At least here) due to being scavenger/carrion birds(Along with, literally, vultures. We have VULTURES here. They take over your yard, say goodbye to it). So we must all suffer the vile things. We CAN shoot all the pigeons we want, though. Just not seagulls.

When I was a younger thing, back in... '96 or '97? My sister and I walked to the nearest grocery store to us(A Safeway. We lived up in the great and grand Pacific North West at the time) one day, I forget what we were going to get. What I DO remember is that we came out of the field right behind Payless (What it was back when, before they built a new building for the conversion to Aide of Rite), and as we crossed the parking lot... This HUGE flock of gulls came flying off the roof of the Aide of Rite We had to duck away to avoid a shower of white I think that's about the point I learned to hate them....
    Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

A seagull snatched a sandwich from my 6 year old nephew's hand once & a few years ago we were at a beach party in Port Aransas,TX when somebody decided to feed the gulls.Everybody threatened to beat the snot out of that person.
      "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
        I hate seagulls. And I live near the coast, so they're everywhere. The portrayal of seagulls in "Finding Nemo" was too nice. Pigeons may be flying rats, but the crows will scare them away. Nothing seems to scare seagulls.
        Tell that to the ding-dong pigeons here. There's a murder that hangs out around here and doesn't seem to phase the stupid pigeons (that's redundant) at all.

Come to think of it, their stupidity might be the problem. I was walking out today and one kept flapping just enough in front of me to keep from getting stepped on. I finally looked at it and told it it had better fly off or it was going to become dinner.

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
        As much as I don't like the little shithawks... I've heard tell they're a protected species(At least here) due to being scavenger/carrion birds(Along with, literally, vultures. We have VULTURES here. They take over your yard, say goodbye to it). So we must all suffer the vile things. We CAN shoot all the pigeons we want, though. Just not seagulls.
        Oh, hell, we can't do anything about grackles, either. They're federally protected as, get this, song birds! I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't call the hellacious racket they make as a song.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

If they would round up all the seagulls in all the world and just shoot 'em, I would not miss them one bit.
          Well...they are useful at keeping the beaches clean. Though what the heck they're doing here as we're sixty miles from the beach, I have no idea...

Normally, I love birds of all kinds. And when they're few in number, yes, they're fun to watch. But when they're bold enough to divebomb you and grab your lunch, or in huge numbers, you start to think you're in a Hitchcock movie.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
            As much as I don't like the little shithawks... I've heard tell they're a protected species(At least here) due to being scavenger/carrion birds
            Must just be your area. My city used to shoot seagulls. We have a marina on the lake where a lot of hoity-toity FIBs keep their yachts, and they weren't too thrilled about the damn seagulls pooping on their boats all the time.

It took a little while to get the permits through though. The sticking point wasn't any protection of the seagulls, but rather another bird that hung around with the seagulls that was protected.

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Well...they are useful at keeping the beaches clean.
            Not here they ain't, unless they like to eat dead alewives, which die off in great numbers and wash up on and stink up the beaches. You couldn't stand to be on the beach with them around.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

See, you use the word "clean" the way I would use the phrase "covered with shit." I was in St. Petersburg, Florida on a shoot once, and we were all happy to have our hotel right there overlooking the beach. Until we discovered that the reason nobody was actually hanging out on the beach was because the beach was completely...and I do mean completely...covered with fish stinking sea bird shit and smelled so bad you couldn't stand to lay down and read a book.

Granted, seagull shit is still less offensive than garbage and rotting sea life, so there's that.

Comment

I like gulls.

And grackles.

And I think humans outdo any animal you can name in making a filthy mess.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I like gulls, too. I like their white feathers and their lonely sounding cries.

Not crazy about them pulling drive-bys on my mom, but even with that and the shit covered beach, I'd miss them if they were gone.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    And I think humans outdo any animal you can name in making a filthy mess.
                    A fair point. Bird messes will eventually biodegrade, no matter how piled up. Human messes, not so much...
                    Last edited by XCashier; 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      I was in St. Petersburg, Florida on a shoot once, and we were all happy to have our hotel right there overlooking the beach. Until we discovered that the reason nobody was actually hanging out on the beach was because the beach was completely...and I do mean completely...covered with fish stinking sea bird shit and smelled so bad you couldn't stand to lay down and read a book.
                      Our beachside hotel in Ft. Lauderdale was far better. Everyone was out and about on the beach, with very few gulls in sight.
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Being on a lake I got way way too many seagulls around here.
                        I have a similar issue. Lake to the north -- river to the south and west -- canals and swamps to the east.

Water-loving bird heaven >_< Just tell it to the ducks and geese who live on the banks of the canals ...
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

They're flying dumpsters. shithouses.
                          fixed it for you.

i like them, but only at the beach; anywhere else, they're a nuisance.
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I'm probably in the minority here but I like them. I like the color of their plummage. Reminds me of Navy planes from the 60's and 70's...Or I should I bet Navy planes from the 60's and 70's used their color scheme as a reference. I don't see as many where I live now but when I visit my mom, I see a ton of them.

Comment

I remember having a seagull try to dive-bomb my head.... mainly because I was walking along the sidewalk on the Norfolk base - while eating a bagel. Ended up having to toss some of the bagel to it to get it to leave me alone.

And seagulls aren't the only ones... When I was in Japan we had "Sea Hawks" (osprey according to wiki). My ship had a picnic on a small field by the water. If your food wasn't close to you the birds *would* take it. Seriously there were a LOT of birds there, ready to scavenge the remains of our meals... or to just take them away from the unwary.

I got tired of eating one of my ribs and started to hold it out slowly... and BAM. Sea-hawk strike! I was expecting one to take it granted... but not so fast, or so close to my body. I mean seriously, my arm wasn't even fully extended.

Needless to say there were some kids and adults who were horrified to see the food get snatched up from their plates because they weren't paying attention.
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

It wasn't a seagull, most likely a crow, but my car barely escaped being dropped upon with some nasty explosive bird diahrrea.

The parking spot next to mine, right on the line, there is a huge white and brown SPLAT. Seriously, it's like the damn bird was picking up scraps in the Taco Hell parking lot.
                                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                                X