This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Savings Woes

What happened here wasn't too too bad, but it's something that happens all the freaking time at my store and it's starting to...no wiat, IS pissing me off.

OK. Item #1: Instant Savings vs Rebate

I don't know how other stores do it, but at my store, if it says "rebate" it is NOT an instant savings. You have to submit the rebate to get your money; you do NOT get an instant markdown!

Likewise, if it says "Instant Savings" you get the discount right away; you do NOT have to send out for it. Why on Earth would you possibly think "Instant" is not instant?

OK, clear? Good. Please stop asking me how it works.

Item #2. Instant Savings at the register.

There are three ways an instant savings offer is taken into account at the register. Which method is used for which offer depends entirely on the whim of whoever sets up the pricing at the home office.
    1. The register will show the exact discount shown on the price sign. ie. if it says Regularly $29.99, save $10 after instant savings" then it will show $29.99, plus a $10 instant coupon, for a price of $19.99.
    2. Some sort of intermediate markdown will be taken. Using the above example, it might ring in at $24.99 with a $5 instant coupon. You still pay $19.99, as advertised.
    3. The item is simply marked down to the price after instant savings. In this case, no instant coupon is shown. You still pay only $19.99.

Why it can't be done in a consistent way is beyond me, but it really doesn't matter. Regardless of what method is used, you are still paying the price on the sign! If there is also a rebate, it will print out with your receipt for you to submit. We are not mischarging or overcharging you or ripping you off.

OK, now that the lesson in pricing is out of the way, onto the incident from yesterday. I happened to be standing behind the Service Desk when this happened and decided to deal with this moron so the cashier could continue doing productive work (it was very busy).

The SC had purchased a TI-84+ Silver Edition graphing calculator. Normally $129.99. $15 instand savings, plus a $15 rebate. You pay $114.99, final cost $99.99. Method #3 had been used to factor in the instant savings, so it just showed up ont he receipt at $114.99

SC: Yes, I bought this calculator and the instant savings wasn't taken into account at all.

Me: Could I see your receipt, please? *SC hands over receipt* OK, the price here is the price after instant savings. This particular offer just doesn't show an instant coupon. The regular pri--

SC: That's not what it says on the sign! It says $114.99, minus $15 instant savings, and then a rebate. So I sould pay $99.99!

Me: The sign says "regular price: $129.99"

SC: NO IT DOESN'T!!

Me: Yes, it does.

Without another word, I walked him right over to the sign and pulled it of the peg. I put my finger right by the regular price of $129.99.

SC: NO! That's not the sign! *starts heading into the main aisle where the live demos are set up* See here!

It was the exact same sign I had just shown him.

Me: It says here *points* Regular Price $129.99. Minues the $15 instant savings is $114.99, which is what you paid. Final cost, $99.99.

*SC deflates; leaves without apologizing*

Like I said, not especially bad compared to most of the stories here (hell, compared to most of my own stories) but I have to deal with this sort of tomfoolery almost on a daily basis. It's almost like Chinese Water Torture. One drop isn't so bad, but a lot of them drives you insane.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I know...I have to say its is confusing, as a shopper. And then there are the stores that will advertise "instant rebate" - meaning instant savings; it comes off at the time of purchase!

Another thing I can't stand, along those same lines, is incorrect signs. Was in a craft store today, and in the scrapbooking section. No less than FOUR signs plastered all around the paper, stating "ALL 12 x 12 paper 4 for $1.00/.25 each) - now there are different types, patterns, etc., but the signs DID NOT say anything else, only these are on sale, but not those, etc."

So i get some, and it starts ringing up at full price...i said to the cashier, i think they are on sale, the sign said .25 each. She said, no, its not all of them, so I said, and very nicely, was not an SC at all, well, someone might want to check the signs, as they ALL say 4 for $1 or .25 each. She agreed with me, and said she'd have someone take a look - I ended up not getting all that I had picked out, which was ok, but its just irritating; you can look at signs all you want, reading them carefully, and then STILL not be right.

Comment

Working...
    X