This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Shopper Almost Ruined The Start of My Beercation

So yesterday, day one of Beercation III, I get an email from my boss telling me about a secret shop they got, and saying he just couldn't believe it was me, even if I was on my worst day.

He copied the shop report to me, and in essence, it said that the shoppers went in there, were treated really rudely by the bartender, and when they ordered a margarita, it was made with orange juice, and when they asked for one without orange juice, the bartender told them that that was they way The Bar makes margaritas, and he refused to change it. The shoppers did not get the bartender's name initially, but the report said that later they found out his name was one that is often confused with mine. (Picture Ken instead of Len, or Jay instead of Jake, etc.) My boss said he couldn't believe it was me, but he checked the date of the report, and I was indeed working.

I told my boss that perhaps the shoppers had the wrong date, or something, but there was no way it COULD have been me, and here was why.

1. I don't refuse to alter drinks to fit a customer's preferences. There are a few minor exceptions to this, but very few, and I would never be rude about it. Or I might joke around about it. Perfect example: from time to time someone might order one of our better rums with coke. And I'll serve them the rum and coke separately, saying that I just can't do it, or I'll cry. But they are more than welcome to mix them themselves. This has never produced anything but laughter.

2. The orange juice sealed it. Why? Because I love margaritas, and consider myself a purist in that I don't think OJ belongs in margaritas, and only ever put it in one if requested to do so by the customer. Even then, I have been known to resist that. What I mean is, if someone orders my signature Jester Rita, and ask for OJ in it, I suggest that they try it as is first, and then we can always add OJ later. Since this is one of my signature drinks, people don't have a problem with this, and honestly, only a very small fraction of people ever ask for the OJ after tasting the Jester Rita. So the idea that I refused to make a margarita WITHOUT orange juice is simply wrong.

As I told my manager, they may have had a different bartender, they may have misunderstood something, they may have had the wrong date, they may have even been making shit up (it read far more casually and less detailed than any other secret shop report I've ever read), but that it would have been impossible for the bartender they described to have been me. Not unlikely, not improbably, but impossible. Hell, I've been leading the anti-OJ-in-margaritas brigade for about 20 years now. Does that sound like someone who would refuse to leave orange juice OUT of a margarita?

And that, as they say, was that.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

you need to make a margarita and shoot it through the internet to me
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I've lived my whole drinking life in the Pacific NW and I've never seen an OJ 'rita - not even at one of those 51 flavor 'rita places - that I can recall. Isn't that technically a tequilla sunrise w/o the grenadine? ETA - is this a regional thing - if I only order a lime on the rocks do I risk OJ contamination?

Did your boss tell you about the shop because he thought you would be amused?
      Last edited by auntiem; 08-30-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        you need to make a margarita and shoot it through the internet to me
        I second that motion.

Did boss ever respond when you told him what you thought?

Comment

It's lucky your boss believed you, Jester. I wasn't so lucky. Many years ago during my waitress days, the manager called me into her office for a little chat. Apparently a secret shopper complained that her waitress was very rude, and listed all of the rude things she said/did. They didn't get the waitress's name of course (that would be too easy), but apparently she had brown hair, so the manager figured it had to be me. Seriously, that's it. The shopper's whole description of the rude waitress was brown hair. I tried to explain to her that I most certainly didn't say those things and that she had the wrong person, but she didn't believe me. Why should she? After all, I only showed up for every shift on time and sober, always did what I was told and even a few things without being told, and never whined or complained!

Great, now all those memories of that awful bitch have been stirred up again. Do you have any idea how long it took me to chop them into little pieces, bury them in the cellar of my mind, and pave over them with concrete? Now they're back like a vengeful spirit. Thanks a lot, Jester!

Comment

People put OJ in margaritas? Since when? This is new to me.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

It's like when I got in trouble for not carding someone for cigarettes. Their proof, the receipt had my name on it. Fine, but I was at U-Scan (8 machines) where we have to log into one but anyone working can run them. I was know to me a hard ass about carding (always checked before I unlocked the smokes). I even carded employees that I KNEW were over 19. The only exceptions were if you were obviously of age (50+). Yet, that "brown hair girl didn't check" and the U-Scan had my name on it so it MUST have been me.

Oh, nevermind the fact I was clocked out for lunch and at home.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                I've lived my whole drinking life in the Pacific NW and I've never seen an OJ 'rita - not even at one of those 51 flavor 'rita places - that I can recall. Isn't that technically a tequilla sunrise w/o the grenadine? ETA - is this a regional thing - if I only order a lime on the rocks do I risk OJ contamination?

Did your boss tell you about the shop because he thought you would be amused?
                A lot of bartenders put OJ in ritas to sweeten them and mask the taste of the tequila. Of course, if you're like me, you know that ritas are supposed to be tart, not sweet, so you don't need OJ. Also, if you're like me, you're ordering good tequila, do don't want the taste masked.

And no, that is not a tequila sunrise sans grenadine. A TS is tequila, OJ, and grenadine, whereas a margarita is tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and sour mix. If you add OJ to the rita, it is still not a TS, as it has three ingredients a TS does not.

As for why my boss told me about the shop, I believe it was because he was concerned that that might actually have been me!

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                Did boss ever respond when you told him what you thought?
                Yep. "They probably never even sat at the bar." Yeah, Boss is cool.

Quoth Misty View Post
                Great, now all those memories of that awful bitch have been stirred up again. Do you have any idea how long it took me to chop them into little pieces, bury them in the cellar of my mind, and pave over them with concrete? Now they're back like a vengeful spirit. Thanks a lot, Jester!
                You're welcome?

Quoth Greenday View Post
                People put OJ in margaritas? Since when? This is new to me.
                Many bartenders do, often without asking the patron. Which is why I've gotten into the habit of ordering my ritas "no salt, no OJ."

Of course, when I do that and it's a good bartender that doesn't do such things, they say something to the effect of "Of course I don't put OJ in my margaritas!"

Still A Customer."

Comment

I always thought it was just tequila, triple sec, and lime for a normal margarita.
                  "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

It's good that you work for someone that actually takes the time to listen to you, and values your opinion.

And now I want a drink.

Comment

I could do with a margarita about now

Comment

I had a margarita at Margaritaville yesterday. I was there with some tourist friends, and their beer list did not measure up to my craft beer standards for Beercation, so I figured I'd go with a margarita.

It was terrible.

Sad, so sad. You would think that a place named Margaritaville could make a better margarita than that. You would be wrong, but you would think that.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well now we have a very interesting twist to this story.

I found out who the bartender was. I mentioned the whole story to one of my coworkers, Monkey Boy, and he said that it was him. But as I expected, the mystery shopper report didn't quite tell the full story. It seems that Monkey Boy made the margarita for said shopper, she asked for it without OJ, he made another one, and she still bitched about it having OJ in it. Which it didn't. But according to Monkey Boy, whose version I absolutely believe, she was a real bitch, and after the third margarita that she was completely bitchy about, saying it had OJ in it when it didn't, he just decided he wasn't serving her anymore. In his words, "I was done with that bitch."

Monkey Boy did not know at the time that she was a secret shopper. He did, however, know exactly who she was. And who she was made a lot more sense when you consider all that went down, including the part of the shopper report that said they thought the bartender's name was one suspiciously close to mine. Who she was, my friends, was this raving bitch, my psycho ex-roommate from last year, who wouldn't DARE come into The Bar when I was working, but seems to have had no problem setting me up to take a fall, or in treating my coworkers like dogshit.

And as they say on late night tv, "But wait--there's more!" When I returned to work from my Beercation, another coworker, Goofy, told me he had almost rented a room to this chick, but she got so psycho before she even moved in that he withdrew the offer. (More on that below.) He said that when she first came to look at the place and found out that he worked at The Bar, she said, "Just don't ask Jester about me...we were roommates and we didn't get along that well." I looked at Goofy and asked him, "Wouldn't that set off some alarm bells in your head?" He said it did, but that he hadn't seen me at work, so wasn't sure if I was around. I pointed out that he DID have my number, and could have called me. Still not sure why he didn't. (I do call him Goofy for a reason, ya know.)

Still, she showed her true colors to him and his roommate early on. When they first agreed to rent the room to her, they agreed that she would bring them a deposit two weeks before she moved in. Which, of course, she never did. Then the day she was supposed to move in, she showed up without the money for move in and asked if she could still move her stuff in and get them the money the next day. Goofy smartly refused, and said to come back the next day when she had the money. And that night, Psycho went out with Goofy's roommate and, according to said roommate, was a complete whack job, so much so that the roommate told Goofy that if Psycho moved in, he (the roommate) would move out. While Goofy normally does not like ultimatums, he figured something was up. And going with his guts this time, when Psycho showed up the next day with the money already to move in, Goofy told her they had reconsidered, and were not renting the room to her, and had actually found someone else. (They had, too. Good for them!)

Being the whack job hosebeast that she is, Psycho told Goofy she would sue him for "breach of verbal contract." When Goofy told me this, I laughed, and pointed out that, even if any court recognized the verbal contract they had agreed to (it's possible), technically she had breached it first, when she didn't bring the deposit to him at the time they had agreed on, or ever.

So, mystery solved, and I can't say I'm at all surprised. Amused, annoyed, entertained, certainly, but not surprised. Bitch tried to frame me, and karma kicked her square in the sphincter. Darlin', next time you try to get me in trouble, you're gonna have to do better than that. Hell, bring your best...it still won't be good enough.

Point, set, and match, beyotch!

(And as tempting as it is to go to her job and fuck with her in some way, (1) I'm better than that, and (2) lazy bitch don't work, just lives on her military disability. And before anyone gets on me, I have no problem with the military or people who have disabilities, but she whines about her shit constantly, is not nearly as disabled as she would have you believe, could certainly work if she wanted to, and damn it, she deserves every ounce of my scorn, ridicule, contempt, and disdain.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            ...why I've gotten into the habit of ordering my ritas "no salt, no OJ"...
                            But without the salt, it's not mouth puckery enough... and it doesn't dehydrate you as much and cause horrible tequila hangovers... wait a minute, what was my point again?

Of course I also make a frozen drink I call a blue margarita with tequila, blue curacao, and limeade.

I feel very thirsty all of a sudden...

Comment

Not her again! Isn't her time on that island about used up by now? She's not nearly as smart as she think she is. Twat.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X