This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALP! I need Mac advice!

Okay, I moved in with my boyfrined back in february. Before that, I was living with the tumor. While I was living with the tumor, his hard drive crashed and then came into my room to get my computer without permission, luckily I caught him but I let him use it anyway.

While he was using it, he changed my profile information including the password and didn't tell me. Lame. Since I haven't had internet(too poor) I've had no reason to use the comp until last night when I wanted to burn a cd for work today.

So, I called him up to get the password. He has conveniently "forgotten" it, but he did recommend me to his place of business, the Apple Store, to get it fixed. I called them this morning just to set up a time to bring it in. They kept me on hold for 10 minutes and then told me to call back when I have the comp infront of me.

I find this highly annoying. I just want to set up a time to bring it in for a problem that, the tumor says, is so easy to fix they can do it right in the store for free. Another problem I have is that my shift lasts as long as they're open(overworked, underpaid). I was really, really angry, but supressed it long enough for the employee to get off of the phone. It's not his fault Apple's policy sucks or that tumor was being selfish once again.

What can I do with this mac? Is this a problem I can fix? Do any of you know what to do?
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post

What can I do with this mac? Is this a problem I can fix? Do any of you know what to do?
    find a long piece of nylon rope and use it as a boat anchor? Ok, I'm just ribbing you.

I know how to do this in any windows machine, but not in macs. However I did find info online for you. You'll need to buy a copy of our Mac's OS install disk if you don't have the original. The Apple store would probably have it, but it will still cost money.

Here is the link to the solution: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3853
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
      find a long piece of nylon rope and use it as a boat anchor? Ok, I'm just ribbing you.

I know how to do this in any windows machine, but not in macs. However I did find info online for you. You'll need to buy a copy of our Mac's OS install disk if you don't have the original. The Apple store would probably have it, but it will still cost money.

Here is the link to the solution: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3853
      Thanks a lot! But, I'd like to keep all of my data. If I re-install OS X I'll lose everything. But, if it comes to that, it's what I'll have to do.

Comment

If it's not in warrenty any more and you have access to reinstall disks you could take it to an independant to have a bash, might be worth a try.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
          Thanks a lot! But, I'd like to keep all of my data. If I re-install OS X I'll lose everything. But, if it comes to that, it's what I'll have to do.
          Oh wait! I wrote that before I read through the tutorial. Sweet! I'm so bad with technology, so I wouldn't even know where to look to find something like this! Thanks again!

Let's hope that it works with a torrented OS X program, because that's what Tumor used to install OS X onto the mac.

Comment

More appropriate in this section. Will help if someone else has a similar problem.

Rapscallion

Comment

As for the idiot that did that to you, I'd go down to the store, tell them what happened and then inform them that damaging property to drum up business is a federal offense and then leave. No threats or anything, just leave. Odds are he'll be in s*** by the end of the day.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm up for that!
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  As for the idiot that did that to you, I'd go down to the store, tell them what happened and then inform them that damaging property to drum up business is a federal offense and then leave. No threats or anything, just leave. Odds are he'll be in s*** by the end of the day.
                  Personally, this was my line of thinking from the time I finished reading the first post. Of course, I'd be more likely to take it down to the store, while he was on duty and make certain his manager was there when I demanded he fix it AND pay for the repair. He did mess it up, after all. A not-so-subdle threat of telling said manager about him using a pirated version of OSX may be necessary before bringing in the manager may help as well.

Yes, I'm a confrontational little bastard...

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                    A not-so-subtle threat of telling said manager about him using a pirated version of OSX may be necessary before bringing in the manager may help as well.
                    I'm not so sure about bringing up the pirated OS bit, because IMHO OP is just as culpable as SO. (not meant as an attack, just my opinion.)

A "Don't ask, don't tell" policy about the OS should be taken, and only used as a last resort.

Comment

Working...
                    X