No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if everything at McDonalds started with "Mc"?

You'd have things like McBathroom, McMoney, McCash Register, McEmployee, McGrill, and so forth.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      Hey other writers, how about we don't make career-ending accusations based on nothing but our own paranoia, offer flimsy apologies and still refuse to take down the offensive tweet, allowing misinformation to continue spreading? Yeah, that'd be great.
      ??? I tried to find you on Twitter, but no luck.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/Author_PCorrell

That's me!

I am referring to a blowup between the authors Tomi Adeyomi and Nora Roberts. Adeyomi wrote an award-winning YA fantasy called Children of Blood and Bone a couple years ago. Recently Roberts, who has been a bestselling author probably longer than Adeyomi has been alive, released a book called Of Blood and Bone. For some reason Adeyomi is apparently unaware that many books have similar or even the same title (there are multiple books called The Unseen World, for instance, including mine) and threw a hissy fit on Twitter. Roberts took her neatly down in a scathing blog post. Adeyomi has continued to behave unprofessionally, thereby sullying her own reputation and losing any respect I had for her. The end.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• l'm with Evee-Anne
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            https://twitter.com/Author_PCorrell

That's me!

I am referring to a blowup between the authors Tomi Adeyomi and Nora Roberts. Adeyomi wrote an award-winning YA fantasy called Children of Blood and Bone a couple years ago. Recently Roberts, who has been a bestselling author probably longer than Adeyomi has been alive, released a book called Of Blood and Bone. For some reason Adeyomi is apparently unaware that many books have similar or even the same title (there are multiple books called The Unseen World, for instance, including mine) and threw a hissy fit on Twitter. Roberts took her neatly down in a scathing blog post. Adeyomi has continued to behave unprofessionally, thereby sullying her own reputation and losing any respect I had for her. The end.
            Thanks! Even after all my years of watching the news (not to mention reading this site and NAR), I continue to be amazed at how some people manage to turn foot-in-mouth syndrome into something actually dangerous to their welfare, reputation, career, and occasionally health or life.

Hmm, I just had a "brilliant idea" : I'm wondering if it would be possible to write a nursery rhyme or suchlike to teach the First Rule Of Holes....

Comment

• I recently did a lot of reading on the Somerton Man, so today when I finished the rough draft of my new novella (Yay!) instead of writing The End, I wrote Tamam Shud, because I like the translation ("It is ended") better.

Weird? Pretentious? Insensitive? Or just eccentric?

Comment

• Is the First Rule of Holes : Always get her consent before inserting it? 😲
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                  Is the First Rule of Holes : Always get her consent before inserting it? 😲
                  Wiseguy. "When you realize you're standing in a hole(*), stop digging!"

* Variant: "in over your head", but I'd rather people invoked it before that point.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-J4GSPgAM

Heard on the radio this morning. The way this family is about Peanuts, I can't believe I never heard it before. And looking into this band, it seems they sang songs about Snoopy fighting the Red Baron a lot!

Comment

• Note to self: When coming up with a Secret santa gift for someone in your archery club, maybe rethink the SHAPE of what you're giving that person...

(I gave him a Porg Pop Vinyl. Thankfully he loves porgs, but commented that it resembles a butt plug shortly afterwards )

Comment

• Things I hate: Power switches on plugstrips. Ratio of intentional usage to accidental invocation? 1 in 100. I jam them with a small screw.
                        Last edited by dalesys; 12-10-2018, 03:30 PM.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Marriage & Parenthood:

Husband: Son, I will show you the greatest anime intro! >wields Roku remote<

Me: No, I will show you the greatest anime intro! >typing frantically into Youtube<

Comment

• Was rummaging in some office stuff and found some boxes from old computer games. Neat bit of archeology there - remember when games came with actual manuals and reference cards and stuff? Some magazines and catalogs too, that I'm going through. Choice off the top of the stack: Fall 1997 issue of InterAction.

Cover articles include:
                            - Red Baron II and Pro Pilot Take Flight
                            - Secrets Behind the Mask of Eternity
                            - Half-Life: E3's Hottest Action Game
                            - New Tracks & More for Nascar 2
                            - Joystick Judgment Day

First major ad for hardware touts the Micron Millenia XRU with Fusion 3D, boasting:
                            Intel 266MHz Pentium II MMX
                            64MB EDO RAM
                            6.4GB EIDE hard drive
                            Diamond Stealth Pro DX 3D video, 4MB EDO RAM
                            Monster 3D Graphics card, 4MB RAM
                            DVD-ROM drive
                            AWE64 sound card
                            100MB Iomega Zip drive
                            3.5" floppy drive
                            56K internal modem
                            Tool-free minitower or desktop case
                            Cambridge Soundworks speakers
                            19" Hitachi SuperScan CRT
                            Microsoft Windows 95 Plus!
                            Office 97
                            Universal Serial Bus
                            MS Sidewinder Pro joystick
                            ...and a 5-year warranty for the modest price of $3,848 US.
                            Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                            They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• Heh. I had a Micron, but it was a checklist build. Back then (dunno if they still do it) you could go down a list of options and just check off what you wanted them to put in.

And game manuals: The game for "ET the Extraterrestrial" famously bombed specifically because nobody ready the manual, especially the reviewers. It happened that you actually needed to do so to understand some key mechanic.

Comment

• No, the ET game bombed because it was a horrible piece of crap as a game. Lousy graphics were expected, but the game play was just absurdly boring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._t...al_(video_game)
                                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                                X