X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay fail - outing yourself on selling a scam

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230788005769...#ht_953wt_1297

Everything looks legit at first, . Leopold scope box etc... until you get to the last picture and see that the brand name on the scope is TASCO... Yeah the only thing "leopold" about it is the box.

Last edited by PepperElf; 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM.

Wow. Just wow. I'm assuming Tasco is the cheaper product?

Comment

That's horribly sneaky. The description was all good until like you said, that last photo.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
        Wow. Just wow. I'm assuming Tasco is the cheaper product?
        Leupolds are much more expensive. However, the label on the scope say it is a 3-9X40, not a 3-9X50 as described. A new Leupold 3-9X50 runs about $250.00. The Tasco scope in the photos costs about $60.00.

Quoth Slayer View Post
        That's horribly sneaky. The description was all good until like you said, that last photo.
        I have to think that the guys does not know what he has. I don't know that much about scopes, but a couple of Google queries gave me the info above. I would think that is you know scopes, that would never fly.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I dunno how it's hard to miss that "tesco" marking though.

Putting it in a fancy box doesn't change what it is. Although whomever buys it is gonna be fucking pissed. (yes reports have been filed)

Comment

But reports apparently have not been acted on. The listing is still up, and people are still bidding.

I have a feeling ebay doesn't care as long as they get their listing fees. Which would be situation normal for them.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Someone should post a question.
              "Are you selling a $250 Leupold scope as described or a $60 Tasco scope as pictured?"
              Save the Ales!

Comment

Prompted by csquared's question, I asked the seller and got an almost immediate response:

I based the item description on what i saw on the box. I wasn't aware that the actual scope inside the box was entirely different. Thank you for pointing out this oversight. I'm going to cancel the auction and relist it as a Tasco scope. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you may be interested in the Tasco scope, it will be re-listed Thursday night.

I'm not sure how they can claim ignorance considering the last photo, but at least they weren't sucky about it!

Wonder what the bidders will think...
                "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I sent him a message as well and got the exact same response.

Comment

I'm sure that the bidders are glad to know that they did not get ripped off. If they really want the scope, they can try again, hopefully at a better price.

I had to wonder if the seller actually knew what he had. He has a very good feedback rating. I also looked at the other items he was selling. He mainly deal in collectibles, not fire arms.

Well, you either shutdown a scammer or saved an honest but misinformed seller.
                    Save the Ales!

Comment

I guess that depends on what comes up on the auction block tonight...

Comment

Working...
                      X