Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Um, your previous actions disprove your current claim....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um, your previous actions disprove your current claim....

So, I'm at work. So far so good, I'm in a good mood, customers have been good, the weather is crap but I like that. Two guys come in. One is tall in a red sweater, and the other is short with some stupid tattoos and a really loud personal music player blasting. Like really loud. And I hate that, consider it rude, especially when you are with your friends!

I'm browsing CS and watching them, realising that they are exhibiting some of the signs of potenial shoplifters, i.e standing really close to the merchandise, picking up and examining heaps of items. They make a selection, and I distinctly hear the stupid tattoo music guy say "yea lets get that one". He then walks out and that just adds to my list of suspicious behavior.

Tall red sweater guy then walks up to the counter with a bottle of Captain Morgan

TRSG: Yes thanks I'll have this (shows me his passport for I.D)
    ME: Great. Uh, how old is your friend( who is now loitering outside)
    TRSG: I don't know
    ME: Okay, its just that I need to make sure he's not underage
    TRSG: I don't know him

Um... what? You just spent the last 20 freakin mins in my store, talking and pissing me off when I really would like a smoke, and now you are telling me you don't know him?

I simply grabbed the bottle, threw his passport back at him and said, 'nah mate, I'm not selling this to you, it's illegal to buy for minors (because why else would he have lied about knowing the guy? he lied to try to protect him so I wouldn't check his I.D) He walked off all pissed off and I giggled

Whats funny is that if TRSG had come in by himself, maybe text his mate with the available options, I would have no reason not to have sold him the booze.

Also, I called the liquor store down the road that they were heading towards and warned them. I'm such an evil bitch

But I take this kind of thing personally. Don't insult my intelligence by thinking I'm too dumb to recognise the signs of a con, and its my arse if you get caught with that booze by the cops.

Hope this is easy to understand

What a snotbucket. You did the right thing by not selling it to him. If his buddy wasn't underage, then why didn't he just show you the ID?

People hope that you'll miss the details and they'll get to pull off their scam.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Those two were dumbasses to say the least, you did a great job foiling their plan and I loved that touch where you called the other place to foil them too.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

What I don't understand about the law is why your butt would be on the line. If asshat shows you valid ID, then shouldn't it be their butt on the line for handing it to their mate (once you've called the cops to tell them about it? )
        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
          What I don't understand about the law is why your butt would be on the line. If asshat shows you valid ID, then shouldn't it be their butt on the line for handing it to their mate (once you've called the cops to tell them about it? )
          Well, I know that a lot of states have laws that say that EVERYONE in a party has to be of age for ANY of them to buy alcohol or cigarettes (I think exceptions are made for like obvious parent / child situations). So if the cashier had reason to believe they were together, it would be against the law for them to sell the alcohol without getting both IDs. The store -- and sometimes the cashier themself -- can be fined and penalized.

I'm not sure where the OP is, but it's possible they have similar laws in their area.
          I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

This is what my friend wants me to do:
            1) I go to LCBO store, find what I want, put it in a cart, leave it in corner of store
            2) He goes in, phones me, asks me where it is, gets it, pays
            3) I wait outside for him.

Drinking age is 19 here, I can buy my own stuff in 6 and a half months, so I just am going to wait.
            Otaku

Comment

yeah, i think they might find that suspicious too, if you leave a cart empty and someone else just happens to want exactly what's in the cart?

Comment

Well, if you insist on drinking while underaged, at least be smart about it. Tell your friend what you want and let him go into the store and buy it rather then having to go through the hastle yourself. Some places will randomly check your ID and you'll get thrown out once they discover your dirty little secret (underaged).

Alcohol isn't anything special, just wait until you're of age.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

In our state it's at the cashier's discretion whether to card the whole party or just the buyer. Thing is, if I guess wrong and you were making a 3rd-party sale, I can still get fined and in a whole heap of hot water. My store can be fined also, which means I may lose my job. Hmm, suddenly I'm going to be a bit bitchy if I think you're buying for a minor. Guess I don't have a spare ten grand laying about for certain fines.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I agree leaving a cart in the store is not the wisest way to do it. You want that complicated an order that you can't just write it down or say it?

Smartest move is just to have the of-age person be the ONLY person who EVER enters the store. Nobody else even goes in. Heck, waiting in the car in the store's parking lot is pushing it. Wait somewhere else.

Comment

If one does not make it obvious ( so obvious that were a cop or my boss to check the camera footage, see how the suspicious person or whoever was behaving, I might get into trouble for not picking up on their behaviour) I have no reason not to serve them. Its like the stupid mother and son combo, who came in a few months ago

They walk up to the counter, him carrying a box of beer. He hands me twenty dollars, and I ask for I.D. Mum immediately says I'm buying it for him, I said no, he was carrying the product and attempting to pay me, which makes him the person buying it(i mean obviously) and I just said I can't sell to him without I.D. She takes the money and hands it to me and I still refused because hello I'm not stupid! I did see you ! The NZ law is weird.

An yes, I would be very suspicious of a random customer leaving a cart full of crap and then another person trying to buy it. Have caught out a few people with that little ruse !

Comment

Hey everyone, can we lay off with the "You shouldn't, but if you..." stuff? Thanks.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
                          This is what my friend wants me to do:
                          1) I go to LCBO store, find what I want, put it in a cart, leave it in corner of store
                          2) He goes in, phones me, asks me where it is, gets it, pays
                          3) I wait outside for him.

Drinking age is 19 here, I can buy my own stuff in 6 and a half months, so I just am going to wait.
                          What confuses me about this (and I notice you're in Mississauga, and I'm in Toronto) is that when I was underage I was never once asked for ID when I was with people in the LCBO or Beer Store, and being that the large majority of my friends are many years older than me this was a common occurrence. I don't believe it's required here that sellers of booze get the IDs of all parties, so long as the one making the purchase is of age.
                          I'll ask my friend to used to work at the LCBO just to cure my own curiosity.

*edit*

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          Hey everyone, can we lay off with the "You shouldn't, but if you..." stuff? Thanks.
                          Gah, I didn't even notice this so I took out a bit of my post.

The basic message remains the same, in that I'm just under the impression that Ontario law is different from that of many US states (or in the case of this post, New Zealand) laws. Not that my original post handed out any tips and tricks about buying underage, but yeah...
                          Last edited by rerant; 09-28-2008, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            Agreed. Its moving into sucky customer territory...

Comment

Haha update

TRSG came back! I saw him walking around a corner headed towards my store, thought I'm not serving you. He walked in I told him that I wasn't going to serve him after what happened on Saturday. He asks if I'm sure I say yes, he does a laughy/smirk like "ohmygod what a loser you are". I don't look at him to give him the satisfaction and just make sure he isn't grabbing anything. After he leaves the store I watch him walk away, he gets to the aforementioned corner and shakes his head, and I realise that Loud Music guy is there! I saw their shadows, then they both walked off! haha what nerve!

Comment

Working...
                              X