This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's two good ways to deal with umlauts:

1) Replace it with -e. That's accepted practice in German from when typewriters tended not to have umlauts. So Saarbrücken -> Saarbruecken.

2) Use a Mac, like I do. Then just precede the letter with Option-U.

Comment

I will admit this - I'm persnickety with my groceries. I set them up on the rolly band thing as this: heavy stuff first (water, soda, tea, etc.); then I go onto cold stuffs (frozen boxes, frozen bags, meat, deli, fruit, dairy); then I go to canned or packaged items (cans, ramen, hot sauce); and lastly - bread, eggs, chips. I expect the cold stuff to remain with each other and the cleaning supplies off my meats.

I also ask the bagger, politely, "Please do not put the cans and glass items onto my eggs." They tend to pile it all in there.

I know it sounds bad; however, I try to be as polite as possible.
      People are dunderheaded fools. I weep that Darwin's Natural Selection is frowned upon.

Comment

I arrange stuff on the conveyor belt, too. Ya know, heavy stuff in one clump, raw meats in another, boxes in another stack, etc. The vast majority of cashiers/baggers do it right even without the help...For the rare exceptions who DO try to put, say, eggs in with jars of jelly: I go the passive-aggressive route, take them right out of the bag and re-do it in front of them. They get the message reeeeally quick...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X