This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazingly easy time at the SS office

Please move this if it isn't the right section.

Had to go to the Social Security office today to apply for a replacement SS card because one of my idiot friends who cleans my apartment accidentally threw out the old one. (story for another time)

While I did have about a 40-minute wait, I passed the time talking movies and TV shows with my roommate who was there for the same reason.

Finally got called to a desk. Presented driver's license. Took 3 minutes for the woman to type up my info and also print out a form that stated I was in the process of getting my SS card replaced. (I'm applying for a few apartment and they need either an SS card or proof you're getting one)

I was amazed. I thought I needed 2 pieces of ID and it would be some sort of nightmare scenario. Aside from the wait to be seen, it couldn't have gone easier.

I had a similar experience at the SS office when I got my name changed after getting married. It was so quick and simple it was almost scary.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

BTDT...when I went to apply for a replacement card (original lost in a fire), I waited at least an hour and the clerk just glanced at my ID's (I brought my passport and DL) and took my completed form.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've never had a bad experience with Social Security. Sure, the waits are long, but everybody I've ever talked to has been very nice and helpful. One of my kids gets SSI, so I do deal with them rather frequently. The worst I can say about anybody I've dealt with is "professional and polite, if not very friendly."
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

The only time I had an issue was when I didn't have a license. I was trying to get my social security card because I had lost my license and they wouldn't let me get a new one without a social security card... Took me a month to get it sorted out and multiple trips. DMV gave me issues, Social Security? Not as much.

Comment

I remember when I had to go down and get a new SS card cause mine accidentally went through the wash...

The lady must not have been thinking when she asked "Can anyone prove your this live birth?" Mom just had to answer, "Well I'm pretty sure she was living when I was in the delivery room."

I think the lady was tired... )

Comment

I'm stuck on 'got thrown out'. SS cards look exactly like the cliche of a government document- I can't think of anything less likely to be mistaken for trash other than cash money.

I got in right before the DMV finally complied with the fed's security overhauls- got my first license with an addressed envelope and a relative to vouch for me. Every trip since then has been a nightmare- good to hear that at least on federal ID isn't.

Comment

Working...
              X