This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is working on Xmas?

This year, our store has decided to stay open on Xmas, which I assume is to compete with the surrounding competitors. I opted to take the 25th off, because I absolutely HATE dealing with holiday crowds, as with the previous years that I have worked Xmas weeks.

And I would rather spend Xmas in peace at home. I don't care if they're doubling my payment for that day, I am not dealing with people who want to force their way in just to get a flimsy family sized bottle of ketchup. We're closed, GET THE @#$% OUT!

It's bad enough that they still pull into the parking lot after hours and don't see the posted closing hours on the store or the remaining employees waiting to get a ride home.

And I guess they decided not to schedule me for the pre-Xmas days either, although I agreed that I would be willing to come in for those days, even though I work weekends. Sounds good to me!

One of the biggest joys of being closed on Christmas is that if you were amongst the employees who worked until closing, you got to pick a treat of your choice from the bakery! I miss getting a free White Forest Cake...
    "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Everyone won't be buying...they'll be returning. Still, good for you getting the day off.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
      Everyone won't be buying...they'll be returning. Still, good for you getting the day off.
      Thanks. At least I get to avoid to 20 million different versions of every Xmas tune out there, but I have prepared for that with my annual "Holiday Music Assault" playlist. If only I could put some iTunes radio stations on my iPhone...
      "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

I'll be in the lab, working, because I have nowhere else to be. Yay! holidays suck for the unloved/unwanted, and I'll likely not talk to anyone, because well, they all have plans, and I really don't want to spend the day in tears.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I'm working...but not the heck you will be... I'm sorry.

Comment

I managed to get vacation from the 25th-30th, but I will be working on Xmas Eve (the one day a year the store actually closes early; do we think SCs will recognize that?). The store is closed on Christmas Day, part of me is wondering if there will still be cars in the parking lot and SCs reefing on the doors...

Since I'll be taking off on Christmas Day, I offered to work extra hours on the 23rd and 24th...what did I get myself into
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              Since I'll be taking off on Christmas Day, I offered to work extra hours on the 23rd and 24th...what did I get myself into
              Life is not worth living unless you are up to your ears in alligators... occasionally.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

At least you get holiday pay. We don't.

Comment

I'm working Christmas Eve, but only for about four hours in the morning, so it's not too bad.

Comment

I'm on call for the week, so while I get paid a pittance, I can't go and see any family this year.

This year, about all I'll get for Christmas is some free food at the cafeteria.

B
                    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                      At least you get holiday pay. We don't.
                      I don't even know if holiday pay is in effect for Xmas Eve...knowing my store, probably not.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I'll be working. Of course I work in a Hasidic village, and it's not our holiday, so I'm not sure if that really counts for this survey. Store's open normal hours.

On the other hand, I did get a few days of Chanukah off, and the store closed at 7:30 instead of 9 for the whole holiday so we could go home and light the menorah while the kids were still up.

(I'm actually getting more hours than usual, because the other pharmacist there does celebrate Christmas, so I'm taking his shift so he can spend it with his family.)

Comment

I might work a couple hours Christmas day before I go see the family. Up in the air. Anything sold at the gas station is pure profit, because no payroll for me.

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          I'll be in the lab, working, because I have nowhere else to be. Yay! holidays suck for the unloved/unwanted, and I'll likely not talk to anyone, because well, they all have plans, and I really don't want to spend the day in tears.
                          You're not unloved/unwanted. You've got a whole lot of people here who care.
                          Last edited by Victory Sabre; 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM.
                          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I'm working at my 2nd job, small hospital front desk/switchboard. we have a rotation and this year I'm in the Christmas rotation. Luckily we get time and a half, and I'm working the morning shift which I hope will be light. On holidays and weekends most of our visitors come in the evening.

and I expect to be asked several times why I have to work on Christmas day.

Comment

I'm working on Christmas - I volunteered. Get time and a half pay as well as a bonus.
                              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X