Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Bet You're Just Proud Of Yourself... (LONG, summary at bottom)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Bet You're Just Proud Of Yourself... (LONG, summary at bottom)

The good news: After too many years of looking, I've got a decent, minimum wage job with an awesome boss and a set of awesome coworkers.

The bad: I still have to deal with the general public.

The job I now have is a job at a thrift store, whose sole purpose is to raise money for a local disabled organization. Most items there are sold cheap, next to free, and some of them are even in good condition.

A lot of the workers, me included, tend to also be disabled, ranging from Aspergers () to CP and Downs Syndrome. Most of them also get paid a percentage of minimum wage, where as I'm part of an experimental crew that started this week, hence full pay.

My coworkers also seem to have full decks of cards, mentally, and so we're all equally capable.

So it's my fourth day of work, doing an afternoon-night shift. Most of the people who annoy me are the ones who take clothes, then don't put them back properly, I.E. on the floor, the racks, halfway across the store...

The other minor annoyances are people who, apparently, can't be assed to pay a princely sum of 50 cents - $1.50 for items, as we've found a few empty boxes, switched shoes (1.25 a pair!), etc.

The guy who came in tonight, though, really takes the cake.

I was within hearing distance of this, as I was on the floor at the time, managing clothing (see above: hanging them back on the hangers) and generally picking up the store so it looked decent.

At first he walks in and tells us we really need an Open sign, a neon one, because the windows are tinted and its hard to tell that we're open for new hours. Great, we knew that, thanks for the tip, though.

My big clue to how this would've ended was, possibly, when he name dropped the big boss here.

He disappears for a minute, I keep doing clothes, and everything hunky dory.

He comes back out with an acoustic guitar. You know, one we had way in the back, that was indeed priced, but wasn't ready to be put out on the floor yet. And the back, as in the place where we test a lot of the donated shit to see if it really does work / structurally sound / not infested with spiders. It also tends to be one of the two employee break rooms.

We shrug it off, figuring it was bound to be sold anyways, though there was a general air of pleasant annoyance from awesome boss about going in the back and picking up items.

So he starts to rant about how many items are donated (he's keeping tabs???) and how many big ones (TVs, stereos, vacuums, you know) go out. We tend to junk a good load of this because we really get so many donations, we don't know what to do with them all, and a lot of the lousy / non-functional / infested with spiders kind go out in the trash truck. Clothes just get recycled after a short time of sitting on the shelf, and sometimes, staff will put a hold on electronic items and pay for it during their break. Perks of the job. Other times, they will buy out vacuums and the ilk so they can give their other crews (cleaning) newer, shinier tools to work with.

Which he immediately bursts into rant about. How staff will sometimes claim the donation items (money still goes to the store) before they even hit the floor, and how about we bring in all donations (ALL) through the front doors so EVERYONE can see them as we bring them in?

For one, no. We have very limited store space, and the donation bins are pretty hefty sized. For two, people will steal from them as we pass. Sorry to be cynical, but we are. Three, again, most of it won't make the floor anyways. No sense getting people's hopes up. Four, thieves, and people who will claim items that aren't even tested/priced yet.

It still goes on with how staff, again, keep some items for themselves. We're all okay, so long as they pay sticker price for them.

He then starts telling personal stories. The one that sticks with me, the reason for the topic title, is how he had seen a gas can sitting outside once, fresh in the donation bin, and asked about buying it [before it was priced and inspected.] The person, who is getting paid at least a quarter-to-a-half as much as he is, said no, they still had to go check it out, and so he goes around the person to each other person until he hits a person who says yes, and then brags about how he had 'found that his (the worker's) stash' and how he got the item instead of the person who told them it couldn't be sold yet.

Bonus points for ranting about not getting a bike that was juuuust bought by another customer before he could get it. He was convinced it was another employee (it wasn't), and was convinced that the guy who got it bought it just so he couldn't have it.

Imagine this for ANOTHER FORTY MINUTES. The guy wouldn't shut up!

I later found out from one coworker that the guy, apparently, doesn't use the items either. He buys them cheap and immediately resells them on eBay. Fine, so long as he pays store price for them. He was also convinced that two dollars for an ACOUSTIC GUITAR was too much money, so you can guess my opinion on him concerning that...

Through the same word of mouth, I heard he also made one of the extremely nice big bosses mad, and they apparently got into a swearing fit (thankfully, the store had no customers in at the time.) According to my sister, who worked there for a while, that means he should've been banned, which means...

The entire reason he showed up that late on the new shift was to either avoid a ban, or to avoid severe embarrassment, because every other boss would know him and, possibly, fire his ass out of the store with a JATO attached.

TL;DR:

Guy is a jerk who is convinced every item that comes into the store belongs to him, that the prices are too high, and has been possibly banned by every other shift manager, except my boss. Also, some people are petty, annoying assholes who steal from charity.

Otherwise, the job's great.

Offer him a job. "Hey, if yo wanna review things yourself and get first dibs, all you gotta do is work here!" Nah, who would want to work with someone like that?

I assume you've let the bosses know about this guy and they'll be doing something about reinforcing/extending his ban?

'grats on the new job.

Comment

Congratulations on your new job

I "work" in a charity shop in the UK (I get paid in tea and cookies, as I'm a volunteer at the moment) and I can relate to everything you are saying. The nice customers we have can't believe that we have lots of thefts from the shop, that people take the price tickets off things to try and get them cheaper and that we spend most of our time tidying up the mess that people leave behind.

As for some of the donations the less said the better. How people think that some of the things we get given are sellable I have no idea.

Comment

my partner works in a similar store in a relatively affluent (effluent) area, but still cops so f*cked up people - I feel for you

the worst one she had was a guy who demanded that because they were an op shop/charity then he has the right to change his kid's dirty nappy in the staff break room, and proceeded to do so, ignoring everyone until the police came... I really don't understand some people

Comment

Wow, that guy is a major jerk. I would haunt your store on a regular basis and happily pay those prices! I'm cheap (legendarily so, as SapphireSilk will attest) but I wouldn't gripe about your store. And you're lucky, all the donation stores around where I live prohibit their employees from shopping there. I never understood that: as long as they aren't claiming stuff before it hits the floor and are shopping off the clock, why not allow them to get in on the deals?
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

This phenomenon confounds me. It really seems the cheaper things are, the worse the SC's and EW's. You would think it the opposite, where more expensive items would draw people who think they should get those items for reduced prices. Instead .. places like BetterWill*, SaveourArmy*, and such get more special snowflakes. Boggles the mind.

I would love to be able to buy a guitar for $2.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              Offer him a job. "Hey, if yo wanna review things yourself and get first dibs, all you gotta do is work here!" Nah, who would want to work with someone like that?
              I actually did that a few months ago on the phone, during my new transition to customer service. The lady caller was griping about being transferred back n fourth, hung up on, etc. I really felt for her, but after so much whining on her part and suggesting we hire more help, I piped and said, "well do you want to fill out an application to help us out? If you'd like you can go online and fill one out, or you can come in to the store and..." but by the time I got to "fill out", I could tell she already hung up the phone. Good for her for showing me! haha

Comment

I've gotta ask - was the $2 price tag INTENDED for the guitar, or did he switch it from another item while he was in the "Employees only" area?

To top it off, he was buying to re-sell on eBay? With a charity-run shop, if the price is low, the customer gets a good deal, and if it's high, the charity gets more income. For a parasite to come in, buy at a low price, then re-sell at a high price (extracting a benefit that should have gone to either the charity or an end-user) sucks.

Many years ago, I was looking for an electric fridge defroster (no longer made, due to prevalence of frost-free fridges, but good for defrosting deep freezes). At a flea market booth, I described what I was looking for, and the guy told me that he had seen one at one of his suppliers but didn't get it because he didn't think it would sell. He took down my name and number, and was going to call me back. On my way home from the flea market, I saw a Goodwill that I hadn't known about before, so I pulled in to check things out. In "small appliances", they had an electric fridge defroster priced at $3, so I bought it. Never did hear back from the flea market guy.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised of that Goodwill was his "supplier"

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                    I piped and said, "well do you want to fill out an application to help us out? If you'd like you can go online and fill one out, or you can come in to the store and..."
                    This was how we dealt with adult complaints with the boys' group. A parent would come up to me with a petty complaint (like, "Why are the kids running around?! My precious baby boy could get HURT running like that!") or suggestion ("You need more people to watch these boys!" or, "If I was part of the leadership I would...") I'd smile, hand them an adult leadership form and say in the sweetest tones, "I'm very glad you decided to volunteer to help us with our program!"

Sadly, none of them would take me up on it.. but they also stop complaining about how we handled things. Or they'd stop bringing their boys to the program, which was also fine by me.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I'm a volunteer staffer in a classic car club, and the number of gripes we get about certain things not being done "professionally"... Yet you try & recruit one of the complainers to take over? HAH!
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

These idiots are complaining about prices at a thrift shop?? Cheapskates...

I bought a down jacket for less than $10 at a local thrift store. I love going in there once in a while, you can really find great stuff if you spend a little time looking. I get all my jeans there. The place does get messy because people are slobs.

In one of the changing rooms, somebody scribbled on the wall: This is NOT a restroom! I shudder to think what made them write that...
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          In one of the changing rooms, somebody scribbled on the wall: This is NOT a restroom! I shudder to think what made them write that...
                          I think you may secretly know the answer: people are slobbish out in public and have no respect.

Not to mention public restrooms can get disgustingly filthy, as many stories here have attested to. Anything they can do without being seen they will do - or attempt to.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            I've gotta ask - was the $2 price tag INTENDED for the guitar, or did he switch it from another item while he was in the "Employees only" area?

To top it off, he was buying to re-sell on eBay? With a charity-run shop, if the price is low, the customer gets a good deal, and if it's high, the charity gets more income. For a parasite to come in, buy at a low price, then re-sell at a high price (extracting a benefit that should have gone to either the charity or an end-user) sucks.

Many years ago, I was looking for an electric fridge defroster (no longer made, due to prevalence of frost-free fridges, but good for defrosting deep freezes). At a flea market booth, I described what I was looking for, and the guy told me that he had seen one at one of his suppliers but didn't get it because he didn't think it would sell. He took down my name and number, and was going to call me back. On my way home from the flea market, I saw a Goodwill that I hadn't known about before, so I pulled in to check things out. In "small appliances", they had an electric fridge defroster priced at $3, so I bought it. Never did hear back from the flea market guy.
                            The low prices is a valid tactic for the shop to take - they go for fast turnover of goods, providing a steady stream of cash. Yes, theybare leaving money on the table as it were, but they don't have stuff sitting around for weeks or months. Some organizations (some goodwills, in fact) do have an ebay presence, but a lot just don't have the room.

If the resellers are moving goods through, then I don't have a problem with that. ]
                            Being jerks is of course unacceptable.
                            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Krysalis View Post
                              The guy who came in tonight, though, really takes the cake
                              He sounds like someone who happens to have an outgoing, in your face personality but is filled with greed.

Comment

Working...
                              X