This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive quoting

I think people are confused with the skin on this new board.

I see so many posts that are needlessly quoting entire posts.
    Excessive quoting is annoying. We have already read the post previously, and we really don't need to read it all over again, so please, when quoting, whether you mean to, or whether you click the wrong button, be courteous to others and edit out what isn't needed.

A reminder and quick "how-to":

To quote a post, use this button: which is the middle button located at the bottom right of the post.

To do a multiple quote, use this button: located right beside the quote button
    Click on that button within each post that you want to quote. It will change colour to indicate that it has been selected.
    Once you have chosen all the quotes you wish to use, hit "Post Reply" (See below.)
    Your reply will come up with all quotes in it, and then you edit each quote to leave only the relevant parts.

To reply to a post, use this button: located at the bottom left of the thread, or you can use this button: which is a "Quick Reply". That button is located at the extreme bottom right of the post. It will take you to the box at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by Ree; 05-01-2008, 08:58 PM.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

We have noticed a recent surge in excessive quoting, possibly due to a lot of new members who aren't familiar with the board, so I felt a bump of this post was in order.

Please, people, respect others who are reading the threads and edit the quotes down to only the relevant parts.

It's really annoying to have another post quoted in entirety, especially if it is a very long post, and the reply to it is only one line.

I think about every 3rd reported post is from someone pointing out excessive quoting, so it's not just my pet peeve.

Comment

Just bumping this one. We've had a few reports of large amounts of text quoted for a line or two of response. The number of reports is increasing, so just letting you all know we'd appreciate everyone keeping an eye on it.

Cheers!

Rapscallion

Comment

Giving this one another bump. To recap, excessive quoting is annoying. Please only quote the relevant parts.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Bumping this one again.

A good rule of thumb that I like to follow is that if the quote is longer than the reply, then the quote can probably be shortened.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            A good rule of thumb that I like to follow is that if the quote is longer than the reply, then the quote can probably be shortened.
            Bumping yet again since we have had several posts in recent days that have required quote trimming.

It's really annoying, guys.
            Please trim the quotes down.

Comment

And another bump.

Seriously everyone, trim your quotes. It's not hard.
              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

We've had some reports lately of excessive quoting, so I'm giving this one a bump.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Bumping this one again. Please don't quote the entire post, especially if it has an image in it.

Comment

I've noticed a massive surge in excessive quoting recently, so this gets another bump.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

BUMPING THIS UP!!!!!

*ahem*

We've been getting quite a few reports over this issue lately and I'm going to sum this up in 3 small words:

Stop this now.

Thank You
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

OH LOOK, BUMPING AGAIN! Seriously, guys, it is NOT hard to edit a quote! If someone (like myself) from a third world country can do it, so can you!
                        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Bumping this one again. Just as it annoys you guys when the customers don't bother reading the signs, it annoys the mods when the members don't bother reading the announcements.

Comment

Just a clarification: When we say "excessive quoting", we don't mean 3 or 4 lines of text - that's fine ~ though, it is really annoying if you full-quote the poster immediately above you... ^_^
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's been over three years since we last bumped this one. Looks like we need to give it another bump.

To recap, don't quote the entire post, especially if it has an image in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X