Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who do that to pregnant women just make me want to hit them, with anything hard and handy at the moment.

Had a co-worker who was in her last week before she was going off on maternity leave (She wasn't very fit to begin with, and with child, she could cashier and that was it), and we'd get people going.

"Oh, I want the box of 3-litre soda's, be a dear and get it for me"

All the time. If I or anyone else was nearby, we'd help. Heck, the other customers would usually help, they'd go get it for the SC, and then death glare at them till they left.

I mean it's a pregnant women, you help her with everything she needs (Within reason, don't turn her into an SC ), then wish her luck, and possibly help her leave if you can.
    I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

At one of the post offices that I PMR for no one has their keys so we always hand over the mail to about 95% of the customers. One woman in town was always known for being a complete bitch and her box was at the top. I was fairly new 13 years ago and she asked me to make sure I got everything and to check the far back of the box.

I was extremely pregnant at the time (and she knew it) and since the boxes slant down towards the lobby side I would have had to climb up to reach all the way down there. (not to mention just reaching was painful) I had no problem telling her that if she wanted to see if there was anything at the back of her box she was going to have to find her key and open the damn box her own self.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
      ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
        And to think, I feel horrible about having to ask the workers at Target for help with the giganto-bags of dog food, and I'm 9 months pregnant (Just about one more week to go!). They always help of course, and they probably don't mind, but I'm so used to doing things myself that I hate to ask.

Now, if I were in that situation, I would flat out refuse to lift anything for that woman. She managed to get it onto the cart, she can lift it up to scan something underneath.
        I never, EVER, let pregnant women who come through my line lift anything. A women who looked about 6 or 7 months along came by yesterday and went to lift a child's easel so that I could scan it better.
        The easel weighs about 5Lbs.
        I gave her a look and said, "You don't have to move anything. I can get it, don't worry."
        She gave a sigh of what sounded like relief, that suggested to me that she's become accustomed to people not caring that she looks like she just swallowed a teenager and making her do things on her own.
        She gave an exasperated, "Thank you," and when the transaction had ended I made other customers who were behind her wait until I had finished bagging her things (which we don't do, as customers are typically expected to bag their own items unless we're having a slow day and feeling particularly helpful) and putting them in the cart.
        Had anyone bitched I would have very politely told them to shove it.

Comment

where i work, i think the weight limit for lifting is along the lines of 5 pounds, maybe 10... i don't really remember what they told me. and they don't let pregnant woman do hard work after a certian week (20?). they can still work, but it's along the lines of paperwork with minimal lifting.

one of my chat friends had that happen to her tho... her manager at McDonald's forced her to lift heavy items even though she was pregnant and he'd stop anyone else from helping her. She miscarried. Then he fired her.

crap like that is no joke.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            where i work, i think the weight limit for lifting is along the lines of 5 pounds, maybe 10... i don't really remember what they told me. and they don't let pregnant woman do hard work after a certian week (20?). they can still work, but it's along the lines of paperwork with minimal lifting.

one of my chat friends had that happen to her tho... her manager at McDonald's forced her to lift heavy items even though she was pregnant and he'd stop anyone else from helping her. She miscarried. Then he fired her.

Oh my, the poor woman! Her fellow co-workers wouldn't stand up to their bastard boss!?! If I was in this woman's shoes I would of called the District Manager! If he didn't give a shit, I would go the next boss higher. No job, no nothing is worth the life of a precious unborn child.

My co-worker at my store, F, is 4 to 5 months pregnant. My dumbass boss, J, makes her lift heavy trash bags and boxes. He also likes to yell at her for small things for not being behind the counter, while she is cleaning or making another pot of coffee. J, does nothing other than do paperwork and have F do everything else. She can't be in all places at once.
            I took J into the back room and explained to him professionally and politely as I could that F is pregnant, this job is not worth the life of her baby. She will not do any heavy lifting, she will not change heavy trash bags, she will not stock heavy boxes of beer in the cooler. And most of all, do not yell at her, she is not a dog. If you want someone to yell at, yell at me and I will tell you to shut up. I don't know how pregnant women are treated in China and I don't care. (J, is Chinese BTW) Here, we rever the pregnant woman and her unborn.
            J was stunned and he treats F better and she does light duty like some cleaning and stocking some bottles in the cooler. If J wanted to write me up for standing up to him, I'll go to L (the DM) and tell her what J does not do in the store, and trust me there is so much stuff he doesn't do.

Comment

when i was pregnant, i was told anything over...15 pounds, i think. well, some of our warehouse was quite heavy. so i would ask whoever was near to give me a hand. one of my AMs, would always ask, "where is your doctors note?" i told him,"i don't ned a doctors note when my stomach is hanging three feet out!"(a bit exagerreated in my response to him)

what really pissed me off, is every time somebody needed to use the restroom, he sent them to me, and that meant i had to constantl go up and down a flight of stairs. people typically hate going up these stairs period, but having to do it five or six times a day just to have somebody use the restroom, when he was able to, irritated me. i know five or six times a day sounds small, but i was already going up them to get things from downstairs, and it would have helped if he would just take them to the restroom for me.,..

Comment

If I was your friend, I would have the DM fire him or even take jackass boss to court for wrongful termination,discrimination along with pain and suffering. People like that asshole really make me want to beat the shit out of them
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

There's a wrongful death lawsuit somewhere in that McDonald's situation.

Oh and Pork Chop, good job!

Comment

That evil bastard should've been strung up by his ankles and fed into the Barring that, major lawsuit against him and the company. Wrongful death, wrongful termination, pain and suffering, hostile work environment, the list goes on and on. She deserves some serious compensation for what she was put through, and that bastard should be fired and imprisoned.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've been fortunate enough never to have a manager that bad... but when I worked anywhere that involved lifting my managers knew never to ask someone who was pregnant/injured/disabled to do heavy lifting while I was on the clock, because first I would pick up the item for said pregnant/injured/disabled person then use it to beat the manager to as close to death as I could get them before my coworkers pulled me off them (ok, that is a little bit of an exaggeration, but they knew that I'm the type of person who would not put up with that kind of crap).

oh, if your friend hasn't done so already she needs to start receiving her early retirement in the form of payment from McDonald's court loses.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

That McDonalds story reminds me of one my friend mentioned at his workplace at a hotel.... apparently a woman working in housekeeping got pregnant. He doctor just said she couldn't handle hazardous chemicals (she could make beds, take out trash, do laundry, etc -- just not use cleaning chemicals). You know, nothing too big, and since they had two people clean a room anyway, nothing different would really have to be done (she rarely handled the chemicals anyway).

So they let her go because there was no job for her -- and filled her position. She got a lawyer. Of course she doesn't want to work there now considering what they did to her.

Comment

Ooo this crap burns me up!

I am 8 months pregnant w/ bad back problems and I get treated like crap by most of the people that I work with. They complain to my boss that I'm lazy because I refuse to lift anything heavy, take out the kitchen trash or god forbid need to sit for a minute during a 10-12 hr shift. I have even had my job threatened because of it and it ticks me off that people(who claim to be your "friends") behave this way. I go to work, I bust my ass and I go home. Yes I don't move as fast as I used to...so sorry. I mean seriously would it kill someone to have some compassion for someone other then yourself? I have always tried to help anyone who is pregnant/disabled/elderly. I promptly told my boss that if she wanted to threaten my job over this I think the president of the company would like to know what is going on. (He has his home phone and cell phone numbers posted in every store incase any employee needs/wants to talk to him) Especially since the company's motto is...."Taking care of our people....on both sides of the counter".

Comment

Quoth traylk View Post
                            I am 8 months pregnant w/ bad back problems and I get treated like crap by most of the people that I work with. They complain to my boss that I'm lazy because I refuse to lift anything heavy, take out the kitchen trash or god forbid need to sit for a minute during a 10-12 hr shift.

How in the name of fuck could anyone have the audacity of complaining that you're being lazy when you're 30 days from having a child come out of your body?
                            You should call up your company president and have a chat with him about the way you're being treated. I'm sure you're not expecting any special treatment from people, just a little help and understanding that you can't perform the way you used to.
                            And with damn good reason.

Comment

I posted this in another thread somewhere, but I think it's worth repeating in this one:

When I was over 8 months pregnant, I was gathering carts at the grocery where I worked. I know, I know - but in the store's defense, this was 20 years ago (before people became sue-happy) and they actually ASKED me not to. I insisted because I was a dumb 18 year old and was bored.

Anyway, I felt a sharp pain on the back of my upper thigh and the next thing
                              I knew I was blinking up at the sky with people gathered around me and sirens in the background. I asked what happened and apparently some fuck-trumpet SC backed into me, looked in his rearview, SAW ME go down, and took off.

As I was being loaded into the ambulance, I stated that maybe he didn't really see me. I think I was just in denial that someone would back into a heavily pregnant teenager and not stop to check on her. Unfortunately one of the customers was loading her trunk right next to me and saw the guy look in his rearview at me AND at her and then took off. She was too stunned to get his license plate number so they never caught him.

Baby was fine, btw - and he'll be 20 years old next month.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                                I posted this in another thread somewhere, but I think it's worth repeating in this one:

apparently some fuck-trumpet SC backed into me, looked in his rearview, SAW ME go down, and took off.
                                What a!!! There is no excuse for just taking off like that with out even seeing if your ok! Im glad that you and you son are ok. It just always suprises me how cold people can be.

Comment

Working...
                                X