This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• his car is our problem

I just had a hotel guest actually ask me if someone was watching his car while he was inside... I did not understand the question so I was like, "I'm sorry?" And this guest actually told me he left his car running outside & expected the hotel (staff) to be responsible for it.

I really wanted to laugh at this guy because his insurance company would laugh if he had the keys in & it started & it ended up gone.

I had to explain to him that we have signs (clearly visible) that guests park in our parking lot at their own risk, and this situation would be a part of that. He asked if anything ever happens, I literally said, "No, nothing ever happens here but no one tempts (i.e. leaves their started car open, started, & unmanned) people either."

Now I realize this town is smaller then what people are used to. It is, however, the largest town in Montana. I am originally from a town of 1700 people. Once someone from out of the area left their car running as they went inside a convenience store (small town, nothing will happen right?)...and the car was gone when they got back outside.

Anything can happen anywhere, and this guest trying to see if he can blame us if it is gone when he gets back out there is rediculous.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

hehe! yeah, I get calls all the time, "I started my car to warm it up, and when I went back it was gone! how can that be?!"
    (couldn't be cuz you live in cartheft city eh?)
    we'll even get ones where people leave their car running with a baby inside and come back to no car and no baby...
    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

It is actually illegal in many states to leave your car running like that.

Comment

Here in Tx they were running an add campain about leaving your keys in the car and how the insurance companies wont pay if its stolen. Maybe you all need to use it...Na SC's are going to be SC's no matter what!

Comment

Why would you leave your car running in a hotel parking lot?

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
            Why would you leave your car running in a hotel parking lot?
            Because SC's are entitlement whores and don't accept any personal responsibility.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
              Because SC's are entitlement whores and don't accept any personal responsibility.
              Which is one of the main things that make them SCs in the first place.
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                we'll even get ones where people leave their car running with a baby inside and come back to no car and no baby...
                We had one of those happen just a few months ago. A woman left her car running while she went into a convenience store. She also left her two-year-old strapped in the car seat. She was in line to pay for whatever she was buying when she saw a man walk up to the car as if it was his, get into it and drive off. On the news, the sobbing mother stated that she had done this many times before and couldn't believe someone would do this to her now.

Luckily for her, the car was found with the screaming two-year-old still in her seat just about three miles away in another store parking lot. The news reported that the mother was being charged with neglect.

Like TheHippie's SC, this woman just did not have the ability to think through the consequences of the what she chose to do in order to make things "convenient" for her. Sometimes it IS the victim's fault for what happens.

(And yes, I know that is very un-PC, but it is how I feel.)
                Last edited by South Texan; 03-16-2008, 06:14 PM.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I knew a woman left her two year old while she went to get the mail. He figured out how to undo the emergency brake. Totalled the car. Kid was fine though, at least until his mother got ahold of him.

Comment

Quoth Skandranon View Post
                    I knew a woman left her two year old while she went to get the mail. He figured out how to undo the emergency brake. Totalled the car. Kid was fine though, at least until his mother got ahold of him.
                    Yeah, but the kid was not the one in the wrong, there. Too bad there was nobody to "get ahold" of the mother. Then again, she did have a totalled car for her neglect.

I've got another "keys in the car" story.

There's a guy that rather infamous in the fandom communities (gaming, comics, etc) who is exceedingly eccentric. At one point, he was moving from Arizona to California, and had purchased a box truck to do so with. Never mind the fact that all of his worldly possessions would have fit into a station wagon (he took no furniture).

So, he's got all of his stuff tucked into one corner of this box van and he stops at a liquor store on his way out of town, and leaves the truck running, with the keys in, as he goes into the store. Of course, he didn't have a truck by the time he was done. And this fact surprised him.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Depending on your jurisdiction, it might be against the vehicles code to leave an unattended vehicle running w/ the keys in it, for just the reasons stated above, it could roll away, hit something, easily get stolen and THEN run into something, etc.

Or in my case, unattended and running WITHOUT the keys in it, my ignition is so worn out, you can turn the lock cylinder and the car starts up, key or not
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

In NJ it's illegal to leave your car running in a convenience store parking lot. Getaway vehicles, y'know.

Every time I see a car idling unattended, I find it very hard to resist the urg to hop in and move it two or three spots, just to teach the owner a lesson.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

The payoff versus risk ratio is out of wack.

Here you are, a minimal wage employee, being tasked to secure a valuable piece of property in exchange for absolutely no additional compensation while the risk of theft would result in you loosing your job and being held to financially responsible for the loss.

Did I describe the situation correctly?

What a dirtbag.
                          SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

I have similar things happen in my store.

The SC expect the staff to watch after their purse. It is a constant battle of SC's wanting to put their purse behind the counter while they shop. That old risk benefit thing again. If the SC claimed $ was missing the employee would be to blame.

Worse than the requests are the customers that just abandon their property somewhere in the store and continue shopping with no care in the world.

One day I found the keys to a Porsche 911 laying on a display counter next to a man's wallet. The SC's comment? "Oh. I had my hands full so I left them there".

I found a BMW convertible in my parking lot with the keys in the ignition and the engine running. The owner of the vehicle had been in the store for 30+ minutes.

And just before you think it is only the rich SC's, I found $70 (my visual estimate) laying next to a purse on a display shelf and the customer was in the restroom.

SC's really are stupid.
                            SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

It was cold & this particular guest started it & was getting coffee
                              When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Working...
                              X