This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive-up ATM sorrows

Why, oh, why, oh, why, are there always problems at these things? Anytime I go there, it may be to get $20, or whatever I need to go on a short trip somewhere. I always know my balance, always have my wallet ready, and know exactly where my ATM card is at. On the other hand, many people are not like this, and it causes so much aggravation any more. Here are some examples:

1. This past weekend, this woman drove up, actually past, the ATM, and stopped. She then got out of her car, and was standing at the ATM, starting at it for a few moments. After she figured out where to put her card, she stood there another few moments pushing buttons over and over and over again. By this time, three other cars were behind me, and you then could see this woman pulling out her cell phone! Obviously, she was calling to bitch at someone about how she couldn't access her money, or was trying to access money she didn't have, etc. Fortunately, I was able to back up and go around this woman, making me use the ATM inside the bank. After I got my money, I saw her just pulling away as I was leaving the parking lot!

2. This goes back to being prepared before you go. A real pet peeve of all of us are SC's that are on their cell phones during anything, whether it is driving in general, grocery shopping, and yes, using the bank's ATM. I've had this happen a number of times where the person in front of me literally beat me to the ATM, then stopped there, and for one or two long minutes, you see nothing happening. No window rolling down, no hand with card in it inserting the ATM card, no buttons being pushed (except my proverbial ones), etc. The entire time, the person is on their cell phone, waving their hands and what looks like yelling at who they are talking to. People are so mean any more, I'm afraid to blow my horn to get the asshole to hurry up so I can get some money.

3. Of course, there are those that stay in line after they finish with their transaction. I'm talking about the ones who get their money, have their receipt and card, yet stay parked while looking at their receipt, counting their money five and six times to make sure it's all there, dig through their purse or wallet for a secure place to put their money, make a cell phone call to tell someone they got their money, whatever. Can't these people find a place to pull off, like the parking lot, to do all of this?

Any more, I usually do not like going into banks and find ATM's to be more convenient, as long as it's in the day time and many people are around. However, I lately find it is quicker to get out of your car, and either go inside the bank, or just use the ATM outside of their lobby. Where is the convenience anyway?

If there's someone behind me, I'll pull up enough so that they can get to the ATM while I put away my cash and card. (At my bank, the receipt is optional so I never get it.) Of course, my bank has two ATMs, so there's hardly ever a line.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I hate drive up ATMs. For some reason it seems like I'm cursed when it comes to them. It's either one isn't working or my friend makes me get out of her car to use one because she sucks at driving and never gets close enough for me to be able to reach the damn machine.
      Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

This is exactly why I avoid all drive throughs. I've had too many experiences like this.
        "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
        "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
        --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth RedRoseSpiral View Post
          I hate drive up ATMs. For some reason it seems like I'm cursed when it comes to them. It's either one isn't working or my friend makes me get out of her car to use one because she sucks at driving and never gets close enough for me to be able to reach the damn machine.
          I have this problem in my car, but it's because there's a huge blind spot on the side of my car, so I can't see how close I am.

I just lean out the window though lol.

I don't understand people who take forever at ATM's though, but apparently, I'm really fast. One of my old roommates was in the car, I got out to get cash (Walk-up ATM), ad was back at the car in less than a minute... he was amazed...

I mean how long can it really take to push half a dozen buttons?
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I once saw a women almost fall out of her car because she parked so far away form the ATM and didn't want or move her car or get out. She eventually gave up.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              I have this problem in my car, but it's because there's a huge blind spot on the side of my car, so I can't see how close I am.

I just lean out the window though lol.

I don't understand people who take forever at ATM's though, but apparently, I'm really fast. One of my old roommates was in the car, I got out to get cash (Walk-up ATM), ad was back at the car in less than a minute... he was amazed...

I mean how long can it really take to push half a dozen buttons?
              For *mostly* competent people like you or I, no time at all.

For SC's (take your pick of stupid or sucky in this case) its a different story.

Randomly, in my town most of the banks have placed their ATMs inside the building itself, so that at night only people who have ATM cards can even ACCESS them. I'd never seen them before, and it took me the better part of 5 minutes to figure out how to get my card into the slot. I swear I'm not usually that stupid (I wound up having to explain two movies and game rules for my friends later that night) but it was not my proudest moment
              Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
              --Unknown

Comment

It it only me, or do others here get worried when there's Braile on the drive-through bank machines?

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

The braille is easily explained. It's easier for the ATM manufacturers to set up for only one type of ATM. Since Braille is required for walk ups, and they massively outnumber driveups, it's simple economics - every ATM gets made with Braille panels.
                  The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I discovered that it's a lot easier to go into the bank and do my transaction there. It's faster (where I live) and I don't have to wait in line longer then 3 or 4 minutes, whereas if I use the ATM I'm generally in line for 10 minutes or longer with the stupid engine still running.... *sighs* It's just less stressful to walk in, nicely chat with the clerk while I'm waiting for my transaction and walk out, all finished.

But that's just where I live; previously the ATM was a heck of a lot faster.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

They don't exist here.. I think its a very strange idea in my opinion. Just pull up to a standard one.. unless their is like a shortage of them or something.

ATMs in stores bother me.. the tiny little things that take forever to actually give you your cash, only have one denomination and spit it out NOTE BY NOTE...
                      - Boochan

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                        It it only me, or do others here get worried when there's Braile on the drive-through bank machines?

B
                        I'm not worried about it.
                        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I can't understand why people would need drive up ATMs. What's so difficult about parking, getting out of the car and walking a max. 10 meters to get to the ATM?

And I think the Braille would be incase the driver has a passenger in the car who is blind/vision impared, so they are giving them a lift to the ATM. I don't think that the blind/vision impared person would be driving, if that's what you were worried about

Comment

We've got these http://www.cuanytime.org/ here. Which is really great. All of the financial institutions that are part of it, you don't have to pay any ATM fees. What's especially great is that there's one in Las Cruces, so I can get money when I go down from Albuquerque and not have to pay fees.

Most of them are walk-up, too.

Quoth Bandit View Post
                            For some reason, I can hear Steven Wright saying this!

Quoth Alfie View Post
                            I can't understand why people would need drive up ATMs. What's so difficult about parking, getting out of the car and walking a max. 10 meters to get to the ATM?
                            Alfie, dear heart, what's the name of the sight? We all know that they can't be bothered to walk a few extra feet. The pavement burnz us precious!
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I really try to avoid using ATMs because I have short arms & I'm not a good enough driver to make up for it. I do sometimes use them at night because it's safer than getting out of my car and having my back to the parking lot.

Even then, you have your card, etc ready, you get your business done & you get out of the way. I know, I'm using logic & consideration for others again, aren't I? Poor, foolish me.
                              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                              X