Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you open your mouth with the intention of being an insulting asshat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you open your mouth with the intention of being an insulting asshat?

I don't know if this guy was somewhat joking, or what, but I didn't find it particularly amusing either way. He was buying one large item. He laid out some bills on the counter and then took them back, changing the amount he was giving me. I don't really remember the circumstances, but I hesitated a moment because I thought it was strange that he wanted to give me that amount instead. Then:

"Yeah, tweeenty twoooo dolllaaaarrrss....are you good at math? I think not, huh? *laughs*"

The way he said this was in a highly exaggerated tone that you would use on a special needs child who was working on sounding out a word. Yes sir, I am quite capable of recognizing a twenty and two dollar bills as twenty two dollars, thank you. It was a rotten day all around, between that and getting flustered and making a total and complete DUMBASS of myself when one of the supervisors went through my lane, among other things.
    Last edited by Despina83; 03-18-2008, 04:45 AM.

When you gave him his change you should have counted it out real slowly.
    "Thiiiiiiiiirtyyyy oooooooone ceeeeeeeeents. Did you get that, or should I count it for you once more?"

Comment

I'd say hes "joking", but without realizing how insulting he's been. Many do think your used to been given shit by customers and just have no problem with piling it on too.
      - Boochan

Comment

joking, maybe; being a total jerkoff, definitely.

when people do that, i jokingly tell them i only look stupid, thanks. it usually gets the message across, and if they complain, i'll be sure to point out that their actions caused the problem in the first place.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

That was definetly uncalled for. I received a few comments during my tenure as a cashier about my math skills (or supposed lack thereof). I'm not a math whiz (English is more my thing) but I can count, thanks. It was usually when I'd already finished the transaction and had the drawer open and the person would suddenly decide to hand me a dollar or something so their change would come out differently. Trying to quickly figure out the new amount I would owe them in my head flustered me a little bit.

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
            It was usually when I'd already finished the transaction and had the drawer open and the person would suddenly decide to hand me a dollar or something so their change would come out differently. Trying to quickly figure out the new amount I would owe them in my head flustered me a little bit.
            And that is why that particular trick is a favorite of scam artists.

The best way to deal with that sort of shenanigan is to just tell them that you can't transfer money in the middle of a transaction, and finish out with what they originally gave you. If they want to change it out afterwards, that's something else that you may or may not do for them.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

hell i had a scammer try to get me by changing the amoutn 3 friggin times i managed to actually short change 3 dollars by the end of the transaction gotta love having a boss who doesnt care

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post

"Yeah, tweeenty twoooo dolllaaaarrrss....are you good at math? I think not, huh? *laughs*"
                "Oh, that's funny, I was just thinking the same thing!"
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

And that is why that particular trick is a favorite of scam artists.

The best way to deal with that sort of shenanigan is to just tell them that you can't transfer money in the middle of a transaction, and finish out with what they originally gave you. If they want to change it out afterwards, that's something else that you may or may not do for them.
                  I never thought about it as being a potential scam, but you are right. I DID try to tell people, "I already opened the drawer, so I can't take any other money." Yet some people would get downright arguementative and act like I was a moron, waving their dollar or whatever in the air and saying, "I'm just giving you Xx amount, so give me Xx amount back" in their best du-uh voice. So in those instances I'd void their entire transaction and just start over, taking my sweet time in the process.

After awhile I just began being awful damn sure the person was done handing me money, staring at them for a good fifteen seconds to be sure their hands wouldn't fly suddenly into a pocket followed by the dreaded words "Oh wait, let me give you this instead."

Comment

I've been momentarily stumped at adding very simple amounts at the cash. Like, I'll stare at a fiver and three quarters for a second too long, because my brain is taking a vacation.

Why doesn't this asshat try counting bills, all day, every day, for eight hours a stretch? At some point, your eyes become glazed and you zone out.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I'm completely incompetent at math. Like I mentioned before, I had one woman say, "Do you know how to count? I'm waiting for you" Yesterday when I made an ass of myself in front of the supervisor, it was because she decided to hand me money when I had the drawer open and was getting her change. Needless to say, I failed miserably at figuring the correct change. Twice. Boy, I can't wait to see her again....

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                        I've been momentarily stumped at adding very simple amounts at the cash. Like, I'll stare at a fiver and three quarters for a second too long, because my brain is taking a vacation.

Why doesn't this asshat try counting bills, all day, every day, for eight hours a stretch? At some point, your eyes become glazed and you zone out.
                        Know how that goes. Try going through that shift after a pre-cal class!
                        Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                        --Unknown

Comment

If I suspect the Cust is digging for more money i will ask them if the amount they handed me is the amount they wanted. If they try to give me more money once I open the drawer our manager has given us permission to refuse to change it if we believe it its a scam attempt or are not good at math.

Once I had one particular SC who assumed I was an idiot and said "I gave you three ones (hands me ones) one ten (hands me ten) etc, etc" Instead of counting it by hand and putting the total amount in, i put all the money in a pile, took one bill off looked at it for a second set it in front of the register entered the amount, hit cash tender and repeated until all the money was entered and the drawer popped open. I then very carefully put his money in, counted the change and handed his receipt where the bottom looked like this:

Cash $20.00
                          Cask $20.00
                          Cash $1.00
                          Cash $0.01

now repeat that 30 times. Never heard a word about it.

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
                            That was definetly uncalled for. I received a few comments during my tenure as a cashier about my math skills (or supposed lack thereof). I'm not a math whiz (English is more my thing) but I can count, thanks. It was usually when I'd already finished the transaction and had the drawer open and the person would suddenly decide to hand me a dollar or something so their change would come out differently. Trying to quickly figure out the new amount I would owe them in my head flustered me a little bit.
                            That pisses me off to no end! I will pull out a calculator to do the math, SC will usually say " you owe me $XXX" I tell them that I will check it out on the calculator."
                            I had SC's rip me off that way back in my very early days of working a register. Never again. I am dyslexic, and I will make sure everything is right.

Comment

I wonder how customers would respond to you saying, in your very best 'customer service' voice and manner, "Ma'am, just so you know in future, changing around money like that is the favourite trick of scam artists. I wouldn't want some future cashier thinking you're a scam artist."

You'd have to be very, very careful of tone and mannerism, I think. And be absolutely certain to include a cue that you don't think they're a scam artist, you're trying to give them information to protect them.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X