Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I will say is .. first act of the second day.. BLEW MY MIND. I loved it!! Not so much the next few acts..bleh.

LCD Was pretty good imo. I agree that if there is no mind blowing move in the next show..they are done. Good..but not million dollar good so far.

Solo female (didn't get name) not long after LCD has some pipes. Would have liked to see/hear more before determining tho.

David - I thought he was great..thought he said he only had 3 good ones?

Luiz - I don't like that style of song, but that..that was good.

Granny G - Don't know if that is a million dollar act, but .. she utterly surprised me. I like.

Tim Hockingberry (spelling) - Nice voice, good piano skills..is he million dollar worthy..time will tell.

Funk Beyond Control - Transition was abit rough, but decent..not sure they are as good as some of the other dance crews..time will tell.

Turf - While I really didn't like the contortion part..sometimes he seem to defy reality. That very first part, I was floored.

Only rewound it a couple of times..and that was for the very first part of Turf's act..to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. For me it is between Tim and Turf for the ones listed here. Need to see what is next though before I decide on a final "Who I want to win."
    Last edited by Mytical; 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Okay, the artist guy? WOW. Just amazing. Don't know how he'll do in the long run, but if Simon can't sponsor him, I'm sure someone will.

LCD was fascinating in the weirdest way. There's no other words for it.

The girl, Micah I think?, was another wow.

I LIKED Dave. That was a good impressionist act!

Luiz was nice. He's got a nice tenor there.

I have no words for Granny G. None. I'm gonna go giggle in a corner now.

Just a sidenote: the cleaning guy/flautist was...interesting.

Tim: I'm just thinking Armstrong himself. It's not a pretty voice, but it's one of those interesting voices. And that's so much more than a pretty voice.

Funk Beyond Control was average. Nothing anything different than other groups we've seen before, but still okay.

The band that followed was a bit more interesting to me honestly. Even if her speaking voice grates a little.

Turf made my jaw drop. The contortion parts made me cringe, but his dancing just blew my mind!
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
        Turf made my jaw drop. The contortion parts made me cringe, but his dancing just blew my mind!
        This! I just had to go back and watch that first part AGAIN.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

For the poster who was at the San Fran taping, hope you saw tonight, because tonight was when they showed that.

My take on Day 2....

When the first act came out and explained what they were, I rolled my eyes, expecting something crappy. And it's acts like this, among other things, that are the reasons I always reserve the right to be completely, horribly, and even embarrassingly wrong. I was VERY blown away....though I admit, like Howard, I initially thought they were doing a picture of Howard.

Guy on the tricycle: Everyone gets their fifteen minutes of fame. If this guy gets 15 seconds, he's overstayed his welcome. However, I comment on this more to point out that it seems that Howie Mandel, NOT Howard Stern, is now filling in for Piers Morgan as the "heavy" on the panel. Should be interesting to see how that plays out this season. Hell, Mr. Special was so special (i.e., BAD), that I mistakenly thought he was on a trike, not a bike. And I'm a bicyclist!

Not even 30 minutes in, and already the thought going through my mind is, "Yeah, I knew that San Fran had a high weird quotient....but WHAT THE FUCK!??!?!" Yeah. It's as if they're actively trying to make up for the very ODD lack of weirdness from the Los Angeles auditions.

Great time for a beer break!

The Balancer: Impressive. But no idea how he's going to ramp it up or where he's going to go with it. Much hot chicks at Mardi Gras, it's fun to watch, but there's no real future in it, and in the end, it's only a pleasant but hazy memory.

The Magician & The Musician: due to my actually being a magician (though admittedly not a stage magician), I feel I need to comment on any magic acts that come through this show. While not as embarrassingly horrible as yesterday's magic act, I found this act...pedestrian, at best. And I'm being kind. Frankly, I saw far too many flaws in it. How much was I not impressed? I thought it was more impressive of the pianist to play upside down than I was by the "magic."

Juggler: On the one hand, I tend to agree with Piers Morgan's philosophy: if you're a juggler, you CAN'T drop. On the other hand, as a magician who often...wait, no, OFTEN drops cards, I can't get my standard line for that situation out of my head: "What, you never mess up at your job?" But seriously, as a magician, I CAN drop cards. As long as I get the trick right, doesn't matter how clumsy I am. (And some magicians are INTENTIONALLY clumsy as part of their act.) But if I went with my act on stage for an audition and actually flubbed a trick, yes, I would expect to be bounced, and would DESERVE to be. So, yeah, gotta go with Piers here....jugglers can't drop.

Comedian/Impressionist: So often these guys aren't good. This guy so clearly was. Lots of people can do Christopher Walken. But what a great Bruce Willis! And he gave us the best line of the night, and a great line for an impressionist: "I've got a million of them. Only three of them are good."

Granny G: Wow. Just wow.

The Janitor: Clean up on Aisle Awesome!

(No, I don't think either f the last two is a million dollar act, but they WERE fun!)

Turf: A little rough around the edges, but definite potential.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, from a magicians perspective, what do you think of this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5xrtQNl4f4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDM7x...eature=related
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Fireheart, I feel the need to qualify my statements about Cosentino by saying I have only ever done close-up magic, and have never done stage magic, though I do understand how SOME (but definitely not all) of it is done. So I am only slightly more knowledgeable than the average layman when it comes to stage magic.

That being said, from my perspective, Cosentino is pretty damn amazing. Yes, I understood SOME of it. Not much, but some. But he is a consummate entertainer, and even the "death stunts," which I am not always a huge fan of, were brilliantly and professionally done. And there is no denying his stage presence and charisma. Basically, the dude rocks. As a close-up magician, I did appreciate the little bit they showed with him slinging cards one-handed from a deck, which is far tougher than it looks. (I can't even come close to that myself.)

And the magicians that come on America's Got Talent could learn from this guy. His audition, he didn't do one box trick, but THREE, back to back to back, and brilliantly. So far, between this season and last season (the only seasons of AGT I've seen), I have not seen a magician that was even close to Cosentino's level.

Next question.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Week 2, Day 1.

Flight Crew - Ok though I wish I could do half that..not for me.

New York Irish Dance Crew - need to see more.

Jason - Boy has some skills!

Mir Money - Glad they didn't pass him just because he is a kid. One of my peeves is when they will pass somebody because they are old or young.

Olate (spelling) dogs - Thought..great another animal act..seen it...wait ... what! That is AWESOME! Love this act. Color me impressed.

Horse - OW! Can I say it again? OW!

Burton (old man rapper) - Sorry..it was terrible. 'Hook' or not, it was god awful. *dons tomato proof suit*

Comment

Others are much better at this then I am, can't wait till people like Jester/Khel/etc covers these acts..will be much better...anyhow Week 2, Day 2.

First act - Why god, why? Howard's dad was much more entertaining then..whatever that was.

Second Act - It gets worse? Yes, it got worse...oh my god why?

Third Act - And still worse. *sighs*

Forth Act - I am almost afraid to see if it can get worse yet..come on somebody save this night..please?!

Ventriliquist/Comedian - I like, maybe not a million dollar act..but it is funny.

Donovan (spelling) and Rebecca - Holy CRUD! I knew women were powerful, but that is absolutely rediculous. How in the world did they do that?

Unity in motion - Need to see more.

Ivy Rose - Need to see more, but so far not impressed with the vocals.

All beef patty - Why did this act get through? Didn't like at all.

Tom Cotter - Very funny. Little rushed, but I guess that is because of the time limit. I have high hopes for him. He recieved some very high praise from Howie..and I agree with Howie.

Step - Will have to do a LOT to compete with Turf. He might surprise me, but don't see him going too far. Ps - Sharon was EVIL

Savage Men - *facepalm* Nothing else need be said.
                  Last edited by Mytical; 05-25-2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Let's see:

Flyte Cru was neat, but they probably won't be going too much farther. They weren't really doing anything we haven't seen in previous seasons and those groups didn't go far either. There's not a lot they can do to ramp it up. Doesn't take away from their skill though.

I wish to God we'd seen more of that Irish dance group. They looked neat!

Jason impressed me. I hope he does well--pianist usually don't though.

Max the Acrobat has my vote on a couple of levels. Tarzan indeed!

Olate dogs were just amazing! That is what you're looking for in an animal act! Well done sirs!

Horse and friends....Myt's got it in one. Leaving it there.

Mir Money...I felt sorry for mostly. He was cute, but his rap was awful and the cute factor just...no.

And I'm sorry, Burton made me laugh. It was just cheesy enough to earn a spot. He won't go far though. But it was pretty funny.
                    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Second Night:

Ronald's only redeeming grace was getting to see Howard and his dad "set him straight". That boy needed somebody to sit him down for an honest talk.

Not going into those middle acts because they hurt.

Liked the ventriloquist. It was a good update to the genre, although that baby creeped me out. And he needs a bit more work with his different voices.

Donovan and Rebecca blew my mind. That was the most graceful thing I've ever seen. Holy cow.

Want to see more of Unity in Motion and Ivy Rose. Both of those acts seemed to have a lot of potential from their small clips.

All Beef Patty...nice singing voice, definitely has a "crazy" potential. But probably not going to go terribly far.

I loved Tom! It was a little rushed, but with only 90 seconds, what you gonna do?

Stepz...I liked him. I liked his performance. But unlike Turf, he didn't seem to have a lot of variety. He may prove me wrong, and I'd like to see him prove me wrong, but I think Turf has him on the variety and technical skill.

Savage Men...really? Really? You're that desperate? Okay...
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I think I need my hearing checked then...honestly did not like All Beef Patty's voice.

Comment

I like neat voices. She/He (? I know she was a drag queen, but her speaking voice and build was just too masculine to ignore >.<) had a good solid voice, nice apparent range, and good control. And an odd mix of feminine and masculine tone to make it interesting.

Like I said, she probably won't go far, but I wouldn't be surprised if she made it past the Vegas audition.
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Haven't chimed in because episodes 3 and 4 weren't that impressive to me. A lot of bad acts, and a lot of mediocre acts.

What I liked:
                            --the kid on the piano, who was astounding, though to me not as impressive as the 11 year old chick from Alaska from last season.
                            --the husband and wife balancing team. Impressive.
                            --the ventriloquist. Nice update to a mostly stale genre.
                            --the comedian. Tom rocked it. His timing was superb.

What I didn't like:
                            --most of the acts.
                            --the old guy everyone loved. Yeah, he was amusing, but not nearly as hilarious as the General from American Idol a few years ago. And they didn't pass HIM on!
                            --Savage Men. While I am not a fan of men stripping and flexing, I have seen it done far better and more impressively than these bozos. If you're gonna do it, do it better than that....whatever it was they did.
                            --the kid rapper. We've seen better kid musical acts than that. I'm not even talking about Pop Lyfe, I mean just basically cutesy kids with some talent.

Wild cards:
                            --Horse. Great novelty act. Won't win, but every guy watching that was going OH MY LORD!
                            --the chick rock band. Wish we could have seen more of them. They seemed to have a good tight act.
                            Last edited by Jester; 05-26-2012, 02:08 PM.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Stealing and adapting my comments from TWOP.

The dog show was decent; and I would say that animal training is a talent worth showing. Not sure how far they'll go but should be interesting.

I do hope (but suspect it won't happen) that the wapper's experience would discourage kid acts from applying on the show. Unless the judges can somehow convince the producers to set a 13 years and up age limit, it's probably not going to happen though. (And the Wapper wasn't even 'cute bad'; he was just bad).

After watching the show, I wonder if there are times they wish they could combine acts together. Turf vs Stepz could be an interesting combined act to let them play off eachother if they had the chance to work together. As is one will probably get the Vegas cut over the other and probably not go much further beyond that.

Overall, no real 'wow' acts from New York. The Ventriloquist was interesting but not great; and any ventriloquist act will be considered in Terry Fator's shadow. I wondered a moment about how Howie said he had never seen a better ventriloquist act, but he wasn't a judge during Fator's run. As is, this ventriloquist IMO was ruined by the camera work. The camera stayed focused on his screen dummy instead of both so we couldn't really judge how good he was at speaking with his mouth closed. Instead it came across like he was 'cheating' with virtual dummies (slightly fixed up by the chat with the judges after). It didn't help either that his act seemed to be a one note through out; he needs to develop his material more.

The old rapper should be an easy Vegas cut when it comes down to that; but he may make it further just for an easy cut later on. His song is a bit of an ear worm, but I managed to block it out finally.

The acrobatic pair were really good. I expect them to make it into the voter stages; especially once production can spice up their act and costumes a bit. A SciFi theme would work well for them.

Comment

I haven't watched much. I watched the first 20 minutes of the first ep and I got so annoyed with Howard and Howie I turned it off and went back to Dancing with the Stars. I watched some last week but I don't really remember anything except the guy getting kicked in the nuts on purpose. And the little rapper who Howard made cry and then felt all bad about. Maybe I'll watch more in the future since all my other shows are done for the season.
                                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                                X