This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee orders

So, this could get interesting. We are in charge of our own coffee orders now.

First, let me explain how we used to do it. Once a month, Coffee Guy (CG) would come in to clean our equipment, take down our order, and give us our stuff. It would go something like this:

CG: "Okay, so what do you want to order this month?"
    Me: "I dunno."
    CG: "How much money you got?"
    Me: "Our budget is $XX, and we expect our occupancy to be Y."
    CG: "Well, I can see you are going to need this and this, and you should probably get this." *punches stuff into his little handheld order thingy and hands me the invoice*
    Me: "Whatever you say!"

It was easy. We always had just the right amount of coffee supplies for the month. CG was honest and awesome, and the coffee order was something we didn't have to think about thanks to him.

Well, all that's going away. Our coffee vendor has switched to an online ordering system. We have to order our coffee supplies on our own, and they now get shipped to us. We will still have someone coming in to service our equipment monthly, though I don't know if it's CG or someone else. I don't know if we're the only customer being switched to this system, or if the vendor is doing it across the board, and I don't know how this is going to affect CG's job.

I do know that putting us in charge of our own ordering is a bad idea though, and by us I mean Boss Man. Boss Man is very good at either ordering way too much or way too little of what we need.

Case in point: it's the slow season. Our coffee budget for the month is only $75. Boss Man ordered almost $200 in coffee supplies! We barely have room to store it all! It's funny 'cause Boss Man trained me once on how to order, and he showed me how to balance the order within the budget, yet he himself can't seem to do this half the time. CG always found a way to work within the budget (or at least close enough) to get us everything we needed.

On the plus side, the order came in with some little sample packets of holiday coffee flavors. I grabbed one called "Pumpkin Pie". What we give the guests is normally pretty crappy stuff but I still look forward to seeing if this specialty blend is any good. Not that Corporate will ever let us actually order it for the guests.

I don't know if or when I'll see CG again. I hope he still has a job somewhere and if not, I hope he finds something quickly...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

My guess is the online system reduces overhead and also means businesses can't blame coffee guy if they don't like what he ordered.

I used to order coffee for the executive offices of a hotel. I wasn't a coffee drinker before that job and that was the only coffee that I never wanted to add cream or sugar. That coffee was goooood. Well one month our coffee disappeared and we had to order more. And then it happened again. Come to find out, the Food & Beverage director liked one flavor so much that she stole it to take home. I liked the flavor too, but I started ordering only the regular awesome flavors that weren't theft-magnets.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      My guess is the online system reduces overhead and also means businesses can't blame coffee guy if they don't like what he ordered.
      I'm sure the online system is cheaper. Why pay someone, or likely multiple someones, to personally go on-site for coffee orders when a website is cheaper?

Unfortunately, a website doesn't have the same sense of humor CG does. I can't chat with a website about the weather or business or whatever. A website is much more boring.

And putting Boss Man in charge of the inventory and ordering is going to be interesting...

I know why they did it. I don't have to like it, though.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Any coffee will probably taste fine to me with enough sugar in it.

This is what got me through Black Friday. Somebody brought in a can of some generic ground coffee and a bag of sugar, and we fired up the coffee maker in the receiving clerk's office. We didn't have any flavored creamers, so I just poured myself a cup and dumped in a generous amount of sugar from the bag.

Three of four cups of that and it didn't even occur to me I had just worked a ten-hour shift when I got home.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
        X