This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'll have your job!" (A bit long)

Or, again, why I decided to leave the civilian sector and join the Navy...
    Greyhound Bus Lines has officially been the strangest and most annoying places I have ever worked. Can't say I could complain to much, at the time, the general economy of Washington State sucked and I was glad just to have part-time work.
    And that line in my title... I love that line. It means I get to watch an otherwise normal human being decide that acting like a complete ass will get them everything they want in life- Either that or they're about to be royally disapointed!

Though routine fun things happened all the time, be it the drunk guy passed out on my floor or the fellow that enters the terminal five minutes before I'm closing to declare he's been mugged before bleeding onto my nice mopped floor, I will have to admit the best I ever saw was my last day of work before I took some vacation time and left for boot-camp.

As a quick visual, our terminal was L shaped with the ticket-counter at the short end, the bus-loading doors at the far side of the long end and huge windows running it's length to show when the bus pulled up.
    M: Obviously
    EOF: Entitled Old Fart

EOF and his wife had purchased tickets only minutes before the bus arrived- No problems there oddly enough, the real fun began when it came time to load.

M: (over intercom) Blah, blah, blither-dee-blah, please line up in front of the double-doors at the end of the hall for passenger loading.
    I proceed to head outside through the baggage area so I can pitch peoples stuff onboard and "hey-presto!"! EOF and his wife have taken my previous announcement to mean "Please park yourself by the doors of the bus in the most blatant fashion possible!"
    M: Excuse me sir, due to regulations, I have to ask you and your wife to wait inside-
    EOF: WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THAT!
    M: Er, the driver collects your tickets inside as you leave-
    EOF quickly cuts me off with a blistering gripe about the general evil of it all before realizing he will indeed have to get in line with everyone else.
    Entitlement reigns supreme as he and his wife proceed to walk wrong-way through the double-doors, push past the Bus Driver and park themselves in the front of the line!

I follow and calmly point out that the others were in line before him and they need to move to the rear. Again I am met with general grumpiness and how he is old and infirmed and armless/legless/torsoless/etc and a stroll of twenty feet will obviously kill him. Five minutes of time go by before he sullenly moves back into the middle of the pack.
    I return outside, say "Hi" to the driver and resume loading bags. At this point, EOF has finally had his ticket stamped by the driver and decides now would be the perfect time to call me out.

EOF: Excuse me young man!
    M: Sir?
    EOF: I just wanted you to know that you were incredibly rude to me! I'll have you know I'm a Vietnam Vet and I'm going to tell your manager! Better search the classifieds because I'm going to have your job!
    M: (Putting on the biggest genuine grin I can while throwing my hands up in the air) Well you just go ahead sir.... It's My Last Day Anyway!"
    To this day I have never seen someone shut up so quickly at seeing their bluff called.
    Waiter? ... Waiter?
    Curses! When will I ever remember- Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restauraunt.

don't get me wrong...I have ALOT of respect for our fighting men and woman...even those who are no longer fighting...

but I ABSOLULTY cannot stand idiots that are blantenedly rude then throw around the weight of the fact that they are vets....just grinds my nerves...

great job on calling his bluff though!
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

"Well sir, my great great great uncle was killed during the Civil War, so if we're bragging my history's better than yours"

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
        EOF: I just wanted you to know that you were incredibly rude to me! I'll have you know I'm a Vietnam Vet and I'm going to tell your manager! Better search the classifieds because I'm going to have your job!
        M: (Putting on the biggest genuine grin I can while throwing my hands up in the air) Well you just go ahead sir.... It's My Last Day Anyway!"
        I almost hope I can do something similar on Wednesday.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I would have added the bit about joining the Navy just as an additional dig.

Comment

I was waiting for that bit when I scrolled down. But I always wanted to cheerfully say, "You can have it!" when confronted with thatold saw.
            Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

EOF:...I'm going to have your job!
              "You wouldn't want it, sir, it entails dealing with entitlement-minded jerks like you all day long!"
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Sir, my grandfather was in World War Two, Vietnam, and Korea. My father was in Desert Storm, not to mention deployed to just about every African shit-hole you can name*... and neither of them act like the kind of spoiled, over-aged brat you seem to be. We both know if you acted like you just did while you were still enlisted, your CO would have you playing kissy-face with the dirt during every rest-stop the whole trip, so stow it.

*All true. Grandpa was a Merchant Marine, not a soldier, but he is considered a Veteran from all three conflicts.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                  Sir, my grandfather was in World War Two, Vietnam, and Korea. My father was in Desert Storm, not to mention deployed to just about every African shit-hole you can name*... and neither of them act like the kind of spoiled, over-aged brat you seem to be. We both know if you acted like you just did while you were still enlisted, your CO would have you playing kissy-face with the dirt during every rest-stop the whole trip, so stow it.
                  Priceless!

Comment

I've always wanted to have someone say that to me so I can say, "My job sucks. I'd be glad to let you have it. When can you start?"

Comment

Epic win. .
                      This is like my expression when faced with a SC...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...used-small.gif

Comment

Fall out soldier and gimme 20!

Epic Teardown!
                        *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
                        *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

"I'm going to have your job!"
                          "Awesome. You can have all of my sucky customers too."
                          "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                          X